Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Need serious and honest advice. Please help.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should stick to college, and get it out of your way.

A degree is still a degree even if you don't use it. I went to school and stopped and said I'd start it over again. But everytime I hated going to class. It frustrated me, and all my interested was elsewhere (sadly enough in a car).

Since that time and now I have gotten better jobs and I have made more money. Working full time since I was out of high school I've learned a few things, and one thing is I don't like working for people, and I have very broad intrests (which I feel is another reason to why I did bad in college). Either way. I plan to go back to college for some sort of engineer training but I have plans to own my own business. I wanna go back to school to learn the details about my interests.

As doubtful as I am, hope I helped.
-----
Old 11-11-2003, 09:25 PM
sinthetiq

im 22 so i suppose i should be quiet
Old 11-11-2003, 09:33 PM
joebenz
nelson rules

1.) Went to school and graduated

2.) I'm very happy with my decision. It makes me feel good about myself and it also makes me feel that I can accomplish anything along the way

3.) I would not change my decision to go to school
Old 11-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the military is hooking me up with the G.I. Bill, college is practically free. U know u can still enlist until the age of 30, and u only gotta do 4 years and u can go to college while u r in. I just turned 19 yesterday, I only have 2.25 years left in, and by the time I get out, I will have teh associates.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by CRX_stg3
the military is hooking me up with the G.I. Bill, college is practically free. U know u can still enlist until the age of 30, and u only gotta do 4 years and u can go to college while u r in. I just turned 19 yesterday, I only have 2.25 years left in, and by the time I get out, I will have teh associates.
max age is 35 :doh:
Old 11-12-2003, 07:26 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

im having the SAME problem.. i hate school.. i think im gonna take a break in the spring and get a job, see how things go, maybe take a class or two in the evening and figure out what i want to do in life, cause right now, i have NO CLUE..

went from wanting to program to, having no idea... im just tryin to finish this semester with as little trouble as possible...
Old 11-12-2003, 07:48 AM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Went to school at night for 3 yrs (just 3 courses shy of associates) Was offered a full time job in IT Field, and quit going.

2) I wouldn't say I'm happy yet. I do make above average money, and live comfortably, but sitting behind a desk is not my ideal job.

3) Not sure on this one. I have a friend that just graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree, and sells cars because that is the best job he could find. Had I stayed in school I would probably not have as good a job as I currently do (atleast not right now with this market).

4) I think I've done really well considering the circumstances. Even though I'm not passionate about computers, and would love to also change to the automotive field.

What I've decided to do is ride this job out since I would have to take a huge pay cut to change careers. I'm saving money so that when I switch to the automotive field I have enough money to help until I work my way up, and get back to my current salary. From research I'm thinking it would take 3-5 yrs to make what I make now.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:00 AM
CivicEXR99
Vladamirious

1.) Did you or did you not go to school?
I went to school for 3 years after high school, 1 year shy of my bachelors. I quit school because I had a relationship for 5 years and was helping put her through school. That ended and i've been working full time. I now have a career in IT as well. But if i had to do it again, i would've finished and gotten my BA in psychology.

2.) If not, are you happy with your decision? If so, was it worth it?
I am not happy with my decision because it was not for myself, but for someone else who is not with me anymore. Put you as #1 when it comes to life changing decisions. My opinion

3.) Would you change whatever your decision was (go to school/not go to scool) now that you are in the "real life" working?
I am happy with the way things have gone for me. It took some hard work to get where i'm at now, but that goes for everything. Not everyone is given an opportunity, sometimes you have to make your opportunity.

4.) For those that didn't finish college, what types of careers are you pursuing? Are you satisfied with the success you've attained/ income level/ quality of life?
I was pursuing Psychology/Psychiatric Care but ended it because money was too important to help someone else go through school to become a nurse. I''m pleased with my hard work and what i've achieved. I'm 24, I have my own house that I bought with my money. I just bought a newer Truck to replace my Civic and i'm engaged to be married to a woman that I love. We are paying for our wedding because her parents are poor. I'm happy with my life, now it's time to get to my interview because I want to further my education for my job. :thumbup: Work hard play hard.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:20 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

1.) Did you or did you not go to school?

i'm in school, finishing up my Mechanical Engineering degree in a year and plan to pursue a MBA. currently, i'm working at a co-op so i took off a quarter.

2.) If not, are you happy with your decision? If so, was it worth it?

this is well worth it. maybe the jobs i'm seeking are different than some people, but everything i've seen requires a BS or even Masters degree!!!!

3.) Would you change whatever your decision was (go to school/not go to scool) now that you are in the "real life" working?

nope!!! this eye opening experience has rejuvenated my desire to finish school and work hard to raise my GPA because of how competitive the market is. whatever i can do to buy a line on my resume, i'm on it!!

4.) For those that didn't finish college, what types of careers are you pursuing? Are you satisfied with the success you've attained/ income level/ quality of life?

N/A- but i'll tell you this. my quality of life right now would not have come this quickly if i didn't go to college. the opportunity i have now is because of school. :goodjob:

**** NOTES****

remember that college will not guarantee you anything in life. i've seen people with masters degrees working at subway yet i've seen people without a degree working upper management of reputable firms.

** A DEGREE IS ONLY TO ENHANCE YOUR FOUNDATION. **

i can only accept someone's decision not to finish college when they are forced under circumstances. when you say you don't like homework, nothing interest you, feel that you can succeed without a degree while your family is supporting you, i'd have to call you an unappreciative prick!!! :slap: :nono:

do you know how many people would love to be in your shoes? do you know how fawking lucking you are??

if you are serious about dropping out, then do us all a favor and do your RESEARCH!!!!! go to the career center and talk to people. go interview people working in the real world. make contacts. hopefully then you'll realize what you have to do to be happy and if college is necessary for you.

you say you love cars, and so does everyone else on this board. i've been driving since i was 12, working on them since i was 14. i would say i have a decent amount of knowledge about car mechanics, electronics and audio but i soon found out from RESEARCHING how difficult it was to be in the automotive industry. i'm pursuing my engineering degree because of cars, but from time and talking to others i realized i should leave more options to myself just in case i can't get into the automotive industry. btw, i resent your comment about mechanics!!! apparently you haven't worked on cars enough to appreciate the knowledge and craft they possess. h:

college just gives you more opportunities. nothing is going to be handed to you like the way you think. why did i get a co-op versus other people in my engineering department? cause I got off of my ass and took advantage of my opportunities. i did my RESEARCH. it's all about utilizing your resources, where college comes in handy

so stop sitting on your lazy ass bitching and complaining while your family is supporting you and GO DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!!

:thumbup:
Old 11-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

i'm not the person to ask. i really like college, and for what i want to do in life, i need to go to college.

think 2-4 years is rough? i'm going to get my PhD.

at least go to a 2 year college. it will help.