Notices

grinding???

Old 07-16-2003, 08:05 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I heard a lot obout it with the first models. They seemed to have fixed it more every year, and besides, it's under warranty like everyone has said.

duck squad member #00003
Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

they never "fixed it" it's the same transmission morons, quit speed shifting at redline and the trans will nevr "grind". I have a 2000 Civ si and It has 34k on it, I drive it hard but I don't shift like a indy driver and my transmission doesn't grind at all. It's not a quaility problem, it's a driver problem. Honda knows this that's why they don't jump at the chance to fix it when it comes in to the dealer. trust me, I just fixed a type s cl that has 20k on it with a 2-3 shift grind. I hated every minute of that job, I had to pull the trans and rebuild the syncro's that moron screwed up shifting the car like an ass. I don't feel sorry for anyone that does this.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:07 PM
2000Prelude

I have a 2000 Prelude, and it had occasional grinds, usually 2nd to 3rd gear. But this was when the car was new. It also occured when driving hard and trying to shift at redline. One time, at about 7000 rpm, I tried to shift into third and it wouldn't shift at all!!

The problem has stopped as the car acccumulated some miles on it. I hate to tell you this, but I think it took until the car had almost 30K on it before it stopped grinding altogether. I've got 80K on it now, and the shifting is as smooth as silk, never grinds and never a problem. I never took it to the dealer (though I thought about it) I hate having people working on my car, taking it all apart. Chances are they may not get it together right again!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:00 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

it shifts smoother at 80k because the internals inside the trans are nice and worn in. Honda's have really tight clearances in the transmissions. Sometime's when we get a really tight tranny from the factory on a new car, techline says to, what is the word?...Camfer? the syncro's by grinding them down a little on purpose. I've done it to a few S2k's that were really tight new. The customer was happy it wasn't so tight aanymore that it would catch and grind gears.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:06 PM
NachoNut

Just to add to this. I'm at about 3.1k miles now in my rsx type-s and it does grind to 2nd and 3rd. Havn't felt/heard anything when shifting into higher gears.

I guess I could aim this at hondatech. From the day I got my car, maybe 3 days after I had noticed this grinding of gears. I hadn't raced it or pushed it at all till not too long ago. (after hitting like 2.5k miles) But even then I never pushed it high like i read some of you guys do, which i think is pointless sometimes, BUT ANYWAY.

I'm actually going back to the dealer when i hit 3.5k miles for a free oil change and whatever else they do.
Do you think I should mention this grinding becuase I know I didn't do this to it.
Even sometimes when i shift into 3rd it gets stuck right out of gear and i have to push harder to get it in.

Anybody?
Old 09-24-2003, 02:51 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally posted by hondatech
they never "fixed it" it's the same transmission morons, quit speed shifting at redline and the trans will nevr "grind". I have a 2000 Civ si and It has 34k on it, I drive it hard but I don't shift like a indy driver and my transmission doesn't grind at all. It's not a quaility problem, it's a driver problem. Honda knows this that's why they don't jump at the chance to fix it when it comes in to the dealer. trust me, I just fixed a type s cl that has 20k on it with a 2-3 shift grind. I hated every minute of that job, I had to pull the trans and rebuild the syncro's that moron screwed up shifting the car like an ass. I don't feel sorry for anyone that does this.
Woah there slow the "I'm an ass who knows Hondas better than anyone else" train down...:fawk:

Who says its driver? Its not.

My girlfriend who has an '03 Type S drives it like she's an old granny. Babies the hell out of her car for the entire of the 15k miles on it. And guess what...

second gear grinds no matter how you shift I've tried, I mean really tried to see myself if its just the way she drives and its not. Sometimes it does grind sometimes it doesn't can't do anything about it in terms of driver error.

Ever think Honda could possibly have made a slight mistake???

Probably just to keep you techs your jobs since their so reliable otherwise... :fawk: :fawk:
Old 09-25-2003, 10:53 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I never said I knew anything more than anyone else....I do however fix alot of transmissions because of Owner abuse. Sorry you don't like my opinion, I guess I should change it because you don't like it huh?

BTW, your girlfriend is cheating on you with a jerk who can't drive.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:52 AM
g2prince

hey guys...i was about to get a 2004 RSX..actually have a blue one on order. But anyway..after reading all this..im kinda scared..about the grinding prob..i mean..warranty is coo and all an d i dont power shift or shift like at 7000rpm all the time..but just the hassle and stuff. I still want the car..i have a few others cars that im choosing from..but...im leaning the most on this rsx. I was thinking..after reading all ur guys' opinions and experiences, have u guys tried changing the tranny fluid to something thinner or like synthetic manual tranny fluid and see if that would help? I had a g2 integra and i used to grind but also the tranny has over 90k miles on it..but i changed from honda tranny fluid to (forgot what brand)...but i knew it was synthetic and felt a bit thinner and smoother than the honda tranny fluid..i wonder if that would do the same trick or help changing the tranny fluid...to something smoother..enlighten me please..thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 12:55 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Originally posted by hondatech
I never said I knew anything more than anyone else....I do however fix alot of transmissions because of Owner abuse. Sorry you don't like my opinion, I guess I should change it because you don't like it huh?

BTW, your girlfriend is cheating on you with a jerk who can't drive.
Hey man, sorry you have such a worthless position in such a large corporation as Honda and that everybody else constantly goes around ordering you to do dirty work, but hey just cause you have a vendeta (sp) against all RSX's with tranny problems cause "user abuse" don't take it out on this forum noob...

Numerous amounts of people believe it or not

don't abuse their Hondas, almost all of us don't act like we own a race car, so in turn don't treat it as one.

You are just another RICE BOY whose aggrivated about being at the bottom of a corporate ladder where everyone walks all over you.

And I hope you only get more of those people that DO beat their RSX's and come to you demanding it fixed promptly and all you'll fukin say is Yes sir, coming right up sir...

Bish:fawk:
Old 09-26-2003, 10:15 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

lmao, first you need to learn what a noob is...... I forgot more then you'll ever know about Hondas. You can think what you want about my opinions, I still make Bank. You probably can't spell your own name let alone rebuild a transmission.

BTW, there is no corporate ladder moron, It's a dealership not intel.

I hope ppl do bring in those cars, I love it when my service manager tells them it's not covered under warr. due to abuse. I'll laugh all the way to the bank to cash my fat paycheck after I fix it for 14 hrs of labor.