Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Help! Hybrid is giving me problems!

Old 08-24-2002, 08:19 AM
SpoonFedEG
Hybrid whut?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Hybrid is giving me problems!

Alright, here's the story...

A few weeks ago I noticed this slight "pop" close to my front driver's side wheel. It worried me at first, but then just stopped. Then, a few days later it picked back up again. There is no pattern to make it "thud/pop". I could be going straight hit a very slight bump and it will do it. I was driving home last night and swerved to miss a plastic cup in the road and it popped....so, everytime I steer left, then yank right it pops loudly. It really sounds like something in the suspension to me. I thought maybe the suspension was too tight so I raised the car a little and that didnt help either.

These are the possibilities:
1. CV
2. Axle
3. Motor Mount
4. ???

Have any of you had a problem like this? How did you fix it?
Old 08-24-2002, 08:41 AM
seth90dx

Well I think if it was the CV joints there would be more than one pop.... Did you inspect you coilovers?
Old 08-24-2002, 10:54 AM
SpoonFedEG
Hybrid whut?

Sometimes it does sound like there is more than one pop at the same time. I have checked the coilovers and they look fine to me.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:56 PM
kinghawk

Ummmm well it seems as though your axel isnt all the way in your tranny....... double check that.... It should fit totally flush with the mating surface...... It may feel like its in when its like a 1/4 inch away but its not
Old 08-24-2002, 08:59 PM
SpoonFedEG
Hybrid whut?

Inspected the car today, jacked up the front and removed both front wheels and checked for differences. The side giving me problems I noticed where the strut has been rubbing against the fender well. The other side is not that way. The side that is fine sits lower than the other side of the car.

Loose strut?

That's my guess now..I'm having a mechanic come to the house this week to find out.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:02 PM
kinghawk

how is it that your strut is rubbing on your wheel well??? Totally lost here..... maybe it was your tire doing this??? anyone else?
Old 08-24-2002, 09:11 PM
SpoonFedEG
Hybrid whut?

No, not the tire...

There was a rash-like scrape on the inside of the fender well. The bottom of the strut has this small metal piece sticking out that holds a cable. ( I know this is confusing, bear with me.) that small metal piece that juts out has been scraping the fender well. So, loose strut? Only thing I can think of.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Default What's up?

What kind of front strust are you using (stock, aftermarket). The stock EG front struts have a bracket that comes off them that you mount the brake line too. Make sure that strut is mounted correctly. If you remove the strut, there is a small tab that sticks down, this goes into the gap on the back of the fork that bolts to the LCA and is pinched when the upper fork bolt is tightened. If the strut is in there backwards or twisted, it could cause problems. Also, make sure every bolt in there is good and tight. I got a clunk from my front suspension and took the wheel off and one of my caliper bracket bolts was missing and the other wasn't even finger tight (they also weren't OE bolts). I replaced them and torqued them to spec and no more sound. Good luck. Seeya.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.