Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Accord 98-02: Brake Pad Replacement

Old 05-29-2003, 05:56 PM
01ACCORD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you for sure, but I'll be they are close. Only way to tell is to remove the wheel and se if it's the same.

Your welcome for the photos!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:54 PM
wplyons

When you remove the mounting bolt holding the brake hose to the suspension arm, will fluid begin draining?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:02 AM
01ACCORD

No, it just keeps the hose secure.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:24 AM
accord99lx

Default Replacing Brake Pads

Hey Fellas....

Great forum, first of all...

I just got an estimate from my car dealer for $140 to replace brake pads on my accord lx 99 (4dr). I think its too much so I was looking for some place to get DIY directions.

Can anyone please post information on how to replace them on a 99 model. Also, when I brake, the steering starts to vibrate, can this be caused because of bad brake pads?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM
01ACCORD

Originally Posted by accord99lx
Hey Fellas....

Great forum, first of all...

I just got an estimate from my car dealer for $140 to replace brake pads on my accord lx 99 (4dr). I think its too much so I was looking for some place to get DIY directions.

Can anyone please post information on how to replace them on a 99 model. Also, when I brake, the steering starts to vibrate, can this be caused because of bad brake pads?

Thanks.
You need pads, and rotors. You may be able to get the rotors turned. I'm not sure on a '99 if the rotors can be removed easily like they can on the 2001.

I just did a complete brake job last week on my 2001 with 140k on it. The rotors are original and had no noticible pulsing. I had them al turned for $70, and $40 for the front pads and $45 for the rear (OEM parts).

The pad are so easy to change I can do all 4 in less than an hour.

I did have an issue on one front rotor. The philips head set screws would not budge, even with an impact driver. I just drilled the heads off, and once the rotor was off, used a screw extractor. Piece of cake. I put all new screws in just for good measure, with anti-sieze on it.

If you have the rotors turned (or replaced), wash them with dish washing detergent and try not to touch the surface when you put them back on. You want the surface clean, and grease free. They will probably rust over before you even finsh the job. This is a good sign that there is no greas on them.

WARNING, you will probably need to remove some brake fluid. Wrap the resivoir with a rag around the edge in case it overflows. Remember, when you push the caliper pistons back in, the fluid will rise.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On my '98 it looks exactly the same as those pictures above. It doesn't have that silly hub-over-rotor arrangement of the pre-97 Accords. So I bet the '99 is the same, too. Except that the LX probably has drum brakes in the back.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:38 AM
accord99lx

01Accord, I showed my brakes to a mechanic and he said all I need is the brake pads. The rotors are fine. Can I change the brake pads first, then change the rotors later? What do you mean by turn the rotors?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:02 AM
01ACCORD

Originally Posted by accord99lx
01Accord, I showed my brakes to a mechanic and he said all I need is the brake pads. The rotors are fine. Can I change the brake pads first, then change the rotors later? What do you mean by turn the rotors?
So all he saw was the pads, and he said the rotors are okay?

Get a new mechanic

Did he look at the rotors? Did he measure them? If not, he has no clue if your rotors need turned or replaced.

I'd get them turned if nothing else. It's not expensive. Take the rotors in, and the will put them in a machine that will resurface them. Around here it's $30 for a pair.

If you feel shaking in the steering, I'd bet money it's the rotors!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:20 AM
accord99lx

You're right Accord01. I replaced my front brake pads and it was easy. The first tire took about an hour because I was trying to be cautious, second tire took about 15 mins. Had problems getting the piston back in, so had to un-screw the oil pin a little to get some pressure out. Lost a good amount of brake fluid on the first wheel because I removed the piston to see what it looks like.

When I was done, the brake light was flashing. I put some brake fluid in and it went off.

The virbration on the steering is still on, so I am going to take your advise and replace the rotors myself. Can you direct me on how I should go about doing it? If you have any links that I could follow to put new rotors in, I'd appreciate it if you share them with me.

Thanks a lot for your advise!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:54 AM
01ACCORD

Rotors are simple. Unbolt the calipers again, and use a wire and hang out of the way. Now remove the two LARGE bolts holding the caliper bracket on.

Once the bracket is out of the way, remove the two philips head screws in the rotor, give it a few good whacks in the center near the lug bolts and pull them off.

I'd advise you get your hands on a, impact screw driver to remove the screws. Get one from Harbor Frieght (yeah, cheap tools, but good for those one-time things).

Now, here's the secret. If you get new, or have existing ones turned, Wash them on dish-washing detergent before installing, and keep your fingers off of them. The oils will ruin them. You want them to be oil-free! Use rubber gloves if you have to.

Good luck!