Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)

Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 AM
JerryV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completed our clutch!!

We got our parts and finished our install. It ws 88 degrees and humid and we did all the work in our driveway. The tools got so hot we had to keep covering them. The install went slower than I had hoped and we had only minor glitches. Our '98 EX had to have the fly-wheel cover installed before the fly-wheel, clutch and pressure plate are installed. Argh ... we had to do that twice. Additionally, we got the linkages arms crossed and could not manuever them because we were on jack stands. We just needed to dis-assemble one more completely which only took an extra 20 minutes or so. We took care in positioning the clutch assembly and the tranny went it pretty easily. I rested the tranny on my chest and my son lifted from the top. We had no extra bolts and no other glitches. Your directions are 5-star. One of the manuals I bought was totally crappy. Guess they are intended for experts. Anyway, MUCH obliged!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
knag

I just finished my first clutch install on my 99 Civic EX today using your guide. Everything came out awesome and I wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to post the diy. It took about a day and a half working all by my lonesome and with no air tools, but I learned so much and didn't run into too many snags. Being a newbie your pics helped so much. What really helped was that I really took my time before I got started to look under the car and from the top, studying your guide and really understanding what I was going to be doing under there and where everything was. It became way less intimidating the more I understood what I was going to do. From this thread people seemed to be having a real hard time with with the axel nuts, so that kinda scared me away from that and I figured out how to swing the axles out removing 2 bolts and a nut from the lower control arm. I was intimidated to do the bitch pin and was just going to unbolt under the shifter, but I thought what the heck lets give it a shot and to my suprise mine came out fairly easily. For installing the tranny back on I used some M10x1.25 50mm long bolts and cut the heads off and inserted them into the bottom tranny holes that go into the little stiffeners by the oil pan. They acted as guides and made the alignment of the tranny go fairly easy. I am not sure if it was using the bolt guides or that I accompanied it with really taking my time to line up the clutch using the alignment tool but it went on super easy.

I am currently breaking my clutch in. I installed the XTD stage 3 and exedy flywheel in my 99 ex d16y8 with a Greddy 15g kit, 11 psi, tuned in crome. I will take it easy for the next 500 miles and see how well it holds when I can beat on it more. I have to take it easy anyways since I am having head lift issues, so I will try changing out my first headgasket and arp headstuds next weekend.

Thank you again for all your help. Your guide and the tips everyone else has offered has been an incredible tool to save some money and have a lot of fun learning to turn my own wrenches. Take care!

Last edited by knag; 09-16-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:06 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to help everyone out.

You do not need an alignment after this task is completed.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 AM
tbone7812

OK great write up, I must say you make it so damn easy my ex-gf could have done it, I did it in a little under 2days taking my time solo. I have one suggestion and one question.

First Ball joints suck, I found getting them not to spin on the lower ball joint a pain, I read somewhere that if you use impact wrench after you get it threaded it worked, and it did, just thought I would mention that here. I know not to use impact wrench to tighten it all the way up but to get the ball join to seat.

And I am having a pain getting the You can remove the two 19mm bolts connecting the rear tortion mount to the tranny, to thread in. Is there a trick to that?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
revtek6

did the clutch install and everything went well. but now im at 300 miles after the install and now there is a weird hissing sound coming from the clutch area when i engage the clutch and transmission. if i release the clutch without the transmission engaged there is no hissing sound. any ideas?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 PM
jinandtonic

All your tips and pictures were great. I will be starting this project soon.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 AM
civic_persia

good, I have a question is that it is for making bleeding, has that to have on or off car?
ja now knows the weight of the transmission, as I go to make alone as you.
I am thankful for the rank and I am thankful for the reply, you the greater
Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
civicfan8

Default newbie replacing the clutch using this guide..

thank you

Last edited by civicfan8; 02-06-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
95ciVsiR

you are my savior lol
Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 AM
jinandtonic

Thanks for taking the time to put up a post so detailed. I was discouraged at first but I followed your step by step guide and everything went pretty smooth for the most part. My car runs fine now but, I had problems getting that dam fllywheel cover back in and was so anxious to get the job done I left it out. I know the flywheel is exposed to elements now but is it absolutly nessesary to have it and if so does the tranny have to come back out or can I just loosin a few bolts and shimmy it back into place? Anyway if it wasn't for you I'd still be riding my bike 14 miles to work. Much, much thanks bro.

Quick Reply: Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)