Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)

Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 AM
psyclone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little trick for easy tranny re-installation

When you have you're clutch disc in with alignment tool installed put the pressure plate on and snug the bolts down to where they are just starting to collapse the pressure plate but not so tight that you can't still move the clutch disc by pushing up and down on the alignment tool. Once in this position, move the clutch disc around by moving the alignment tool until it is perfectly centered. You can tell when it's perfect when you can pull the alignment tool out and put it back in with no resistance at all. Now it should be perfect. Leave the alignment tool in and torque the pressure plate bolts all the way down and then re-check. The alignment tool should still freely move in and out of the clutch disc & pilot bearing with no resistance. Now install the tranny and if it doesn't fall into place you may have to align the splines on the input shaft by wiggling a little and then it should fall into place. They call them alignment tools but with gravity pulling down on the disc it usually is sitting a little low if you just slap it in there and tighten your pressure plate down. Hope this helps you guys.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psyclone
When you have you're clutch disc in with alignment tool installed put the pressure plate on and snug the bolts down to where they are just starting to collapse the pressure plate but not so tight that you can't still move the clutch disc by pushing up and down on the alignment tool. Once in this position, move the clutch disc around by moving the alignment tool until it is perfectly centered. You can tell when it's perfect when you can pull the alignment tool out and put it back in with no resistance at all. Now it should be perfect. Leave the alignment tool in and torque the pressure plate bolts all the way down and then re-check. The alignment tool should still freely move in and out of the clutch disc & pilot bearing with no resistance. Now install the tranny and if it doesn't fall into place you may have to align the splines on the input shaft by wiggling a little and then it should fall into place. They call them alignment tools but with gravity pulling down on the disc it usually is sitting a little low if you just slap it in there and tighten your pressure plate down. Hope this helps you guys.
Uh... thanks. :hs:
Old 04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
braatenj

I have a '94 civic dx.
I just redid my clutch following this guide, once I got it back together I went to test it out and my car will not go into gear when it is running.

Does anyone have any idea on what is going on and what went wrong?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:45 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Did you reattach the shift linkage?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 AM
snosurfa7

Honestly, would you attempt/or did some of you do this w/o air tools?

All I have is a Dewalt 18V cordless impact gun, it works great for lug nuts (supposedly good to 300lbs/ft but once you start using it this goes down, though I do have 2 quick-charge packs for it). But I don't know how effective it would be for a project like this. Plus its freakin huge, dont know if it'd even fit down there in some tight places. But it was free from a buddy at work so hey...

Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
henleyboy

Default axle reinstall problems

Cheers westcoaststyle! Just installed a clutch in my 94 teg using your awesome write up as a guide and it was a breeze.
Only hassle I had was re-installing the axle into the tranny. After an hour or two of shoulder cramps, pushin, twisting, shovin, it seemed to slip in pretty flush with the tranny, however after the first days test drive, it seems to be poping out again. I reckon it either I didn't quite push it in far enough for the retainer clip to hold, or the retainer clip is bung.

Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to get the axle in there securely?

update:

Oops, sorry guys, false alarm. :shake:
My paranoia got the better of me.. I checked it out properly last night (not just by feel as I did before) and it hasn't budged! :x:

Thanks again westcoaststyle :cheers:

Last edited by henleyboy; 05-01-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
rebel_punk442

Originally Posted by braatenj
I have a '94 civic dx.
I just redid my clutch following this guide, once I got it back together I went to test it out and my car will not go into gear when it is running.

Does anyone have any idea on what is going on and what went wrong?
Did you install the clutch backward?
If you put it on the wrong way it wont release from the flywheel
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 AM
SIcivic99
SIcivic99

Here's the deal. I called Honda to see how much it would cost for them to replace my throwout bearing because I've noticed it hissing lately. They tell me it will take them 8 hours and $630 Labor to replace the bearing. Are they giving me a load of crap?!? Also, how bad is this throwout bearing hurting the car? Is it something that has to be replaced or it will start to affect the clutch? If you guys could give me any kind of advice that would be great. I just couldn't believe it when he told me 8 hours to do this.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

8 hours is pushing it. Use this DIY and just fix it yourself. Yes, the throwout bearing is important and will affect your clutch performance if it gets bad enough or goes out completely. If it fails, your car will essentially be immobilized.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:00 PM
JerryV

Default Most Excellent

A picture is worth 1,000 words. Your pic's and write up are EXCELLENT. We took the tranny and clutch out of our '98 EX with little difficulty. I have no impact wrench but sure did put my breaker bar to good use, especially on the axle nuts. Got a question, do we need to have the wheels aligned after this is all re-assembled?

Jerry

Quick Reply: Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)