Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)

Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
sdkenneth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the DIY! I just got done installing the competition clutch stage 2 with fidanze flywheel 7lbs. Took about 4 -5 hours for it being my first time but with the help of my mechanic professor.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
mike68

Awesome DIY! How hard would it be to add changing the rear main seal to this procedure? Is it right there once you remove the flywheel? I've got a leak and am thinking about attempting this. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
mttroy

Default Nascarish

You R THE MAN!! Awesome brah. With online artists such as yourself we can blow a kiss to the scrub shops that charge out the yang and do a f&^5*$ up job. Do it right, do it yourself, and help others. What a wonderful world it would be!
Shout out to you
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
mttroy

Default Can I send you money

I feel like I'm cheating someone following your DIY!!
My change went great by using this. I've done rear wheel trannies but never a front wheel drive. The unit went back in so easy I'm thinking of taking it back out for practice!
One lame question that I'll hopefully will figure out tomorrow after work; When I put the ball onto the release arm I can't get the holes on the slave cylinder to come close to lining up. The shaft inside the end of the SC is realy loose, it just like hangs there. Looks normal but feels weird. Any experiences like this? Any suggestions?

Last edited by mttroy; 06-05-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: part name
Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
dopemarty

Originally Posted by Bumnah
we were doing a flywheel and clutch fix, and the clutch masters bolts stripped (hex). so we tried to drill, and the drill bit broke inside the bolt. so we're there with this motor being held up by my floor jack, stripped bolt on the clutch flywheel assembly, and a broken drill bit inside the bolt. it's about 2 am, and i got just one day to fix this car and have it back on the road.

flywheel and clutch installs..... they can go to hell! :madfawk:

Hmm did you try a bit of liquid wrench/wd40 and a little fire from a blow torch to free up the bolt. Either which way you would have ended up replacing the bolt anyway, but I find that a little fire helps free up the most difficult bolt.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
dopemarty

great DIY....this will be my second tranny replace in a single month......the first on my cav z24, which was a nightmare (cv shafts were seized in the tranny during tear down....broke 3 crow bars extracting them) and now my 94 civic si........got the first 1/2 done, and now I am sitting there wondering what the heck kinda special tool I need to get the pressure plate off.........guess Im runnin in for a set of 12 pointers tomorrow......

Thanks bud, very informative, and saved my arse, the speed demon will come alive again, thanks to you
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Bejamin82

XLNT write up my man. My first time ever even removing a wheel on a Honda was in accordance with this DIY. Far better than the maintenance manual and should provide all the know how for anyone with some prior experience. Hardest part was holding the flywheel from turning while removing its bolts. I found that if you reinsert some of the tranny to engine bolts(forward side) back into their threading you may use them as leverage points for a crowbar to rest on as you hold it in the teeth of the flywheel.
My hitch was getting my driver side transaxle properly inserted into the tranny. It left a 1 or 2 mm gap between the two where I can see the oil seal on the tranny. It now leaks a little oil. I havnt figured this one out yet but it may be that I need new clips that fit at the end of the splines that go into the tranny. A warning to all, do not damage the rubber boot on the transaxle as you reinsert it back into the tranny, it will spin all of its grease out and ruin your day.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:54 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

GREAT write up, thank you VERY much.

I'll be doing this as soon as my parts come in.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
blastbeat

Thank you!!! I am replacing my throwout bearing and rear main seal this weekend and this is just what i needed. Major props!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Redline96LX

Sorry if I'm bringing this back but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in too.

I did this swap with me and a friend and a manual and yeah, it took us two days (though we didnt work that fast).

Regarding the clutch and pressure plate, you CAN do this without the alignment tool, it just makes it harder. It was a bitch for me and my friend as the actual swap was a tranny swap and thus an old flywheel and used clutch didn't wanna hold too well. What you do is get a screwdriver in there when you tighten the pressure plate bolts, and sort of imagine where the clutch is to be centered. Then when you put the tranny on and start torquing the bolts, the mainshaft of the tranny will align the clutch. If I could do this again, I'd rent or borrow one, I heard there are plastic ones at autozone or somethin for like 5 bucks.

Quick Reply: Civic Flywheel/Clutch Install (58 pics)