Notices

Need some advice on gutting my '89 CRX Si

Old 07-13-2002, 08:28 PM
ronaldmcdonald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on gutting my '89 CRX Si

I've started stripping off a few plastic panels, carpeting, and tar. However, are there any parts in particular that I should be careful not to remove?

I've had particular trouble trying to remove the door panels, albeit I've tried to take off all the screws I can find, even the ones located next to the speakers. The top part of the door panel refuses to budge. Furthermore, there seems to be quite a bit of fancy mechanics beneath the panel, and I don't want to damage it. Should I get someone proffesional to take this stuff off?

Also, do you guys know where I can find tech articles on gutting the AC? Is this a really complicated and/or PITA thing to do? Is it one of those things where I ought to hire a good shop to do it, or can it be done just about by anyone with the proper instructions and basic tools?

On a side note, just about how much weight can I expect to take out from the CRX, before getting into very expensive stuff like replacing all the stock glass w/ plexiglass? I think it would be difficult to take out even a 100lbs, without running into something complicated.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2002, 04:10 AM
excitid

did you get the one behind the door handle and the one at the end of the door almost by the latch where it closes. You want to use a little pressure and try working from one side to the other when lifting the top part. One of my wagons was hard as hell to get off but it did come off. If not go to a glass shop.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:53 AM
jc836

The 89-91 CRX has the seatbelt assemblies in the doors. If the car is remaining street stock overall-these should stay or you will have to install a multipoint replacement. I had my door panels removed at the trim shop along with the rest of the pieces that could be easily damaged (including pillar covers and headliner). If it has screws you can easily remove it. The cover for the ECU MUST stay on but the insulation around it can go. Also reach up under the dash and grab and pull the padding out if you want to-you can't get all of it without removing the dash (not a good idea generally).
As to the sound deadener on the floor-buy a Hyde chisel edge putty knife ($3.50) and a hammer-these will make the job easy for you. What remains can come off using Goof Off and PPG AcryliClean and rags. The cover for the handbrake and console can also come out.
Get a couple of cans of RustOleum grey primer and use it liberally on the floor pan. There are several other products for doing finish work that weigh nearly nothing.
The biggest task-I'm doing it now-is to completely clean the underbody. Get all of the grease and oil off that you can. The undercoating can also come off and be replaced with DuroKote (from 5 star).
Have fun and take your time. You will find a number of things that you will want to change-I did.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:14 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i think all crxs had manual windows...so you have to remove the manual window clip located at the base of the window crank...its a u shaped clip and all you need it so force a thin screwdriver in there to pop it out