Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Rattling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2002, 09:23 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, this is really irritating. When I turn up the volume, the bass rattles the h*ll out of whatever is inside the gas tank(no, not the gas) and the rear deck. Anyone have this problem with their 5th gen Accord and how did you solve it? I know turning down the volume would accomplish this, but that would defeat the purpose of having 2 12" subs being pushed by 800 watts
Old 07-04-2002, 09:27 PM
b00gers

a lot of people have that problem with the rattling in the gas tank....i do also. but the rattling isnt audible from the cabin, so it doesnt bother in much.

the rattling in the rear:

dynamat or something like it will help. but you should see what exactly is making the noise. if its the actual panel vibrating, then dynamat is the answer.

if the panel is hitting against something else, you can stick a sock in between it or something.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:35 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
a lot of people have that problem with the rattling in the gas tank....i do also. but the rattling isnt audible from the cabin, so it doesnt bother in much.

the rattling in the rear:

dynamat or something like it will help. but you should see what exactly is making the noise. if its the actual panel vibrating, then dynamat is the answer.

if the panel is hitting against something else, you can stick a sock in between it or something.
That damn rattling sucks You can hear it loud and clear inside the cabin, its loud, straight metal to metal contact. And outside the car, whoa, really bad. I talk about people who drive down the street with their systems bumping while sounding like every metal piece on thier car is rattling like hell, and here I am, one of em its definitely the panel thats rattling, I think im gonna pull the panel and lay some dynamat like you said, this is gonna be my first experience with it, never needed it before.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:41 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by 94uhkord

That damn rattling sucks You can hear it loud and clear inside the cabin, its loud, straight metal to metal contact. And outside the car, whoa, really bad. I talk about people who drive down the street with their systems bumping while sounding like every metal piece on thier car is rattling like hell, and here I am, one of em its definitely the panel thats rattling, I think im gonna pull the panel and lay some dynamat like you said, this is gonna be my first experience with it, never needed it before.
dynamatting the rear panel shouldnt be too expensive and hard.

i still have yet to hear a solution for that gas tank rattling.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:45 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

dynamatting the rear panel shouldnt be too expensive and hard.

i still have yet to hear a solution for that gas tank rattling.
I say about 20 bucks for the dynamat, about an hour or so to do it. Sound right? Is your trunk dynamatted? Im kinda thinking that will cut down on the rattling that makes it way to the gas tank, maybe enough to make it a non issue.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:56 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by 94uhkord

I say about 20 bucks for the dynamat, about an hour or so to do it. Sound right? Is your trunk dynamatted? Im kinda thinking that will cut down on the rattling that makes it way to the gas tank, maybe enough to make it a non issue.
i dunno about the price, but an hour work is about right if you are familiar with taking the panel out.

my trunk is dynamatted with the trunk kit, nothing too extreme. the sound of the sub is better, and it got rid of the trunk lid rattle. but the rattle in the tank is still there.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:51 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

i dunno about the price, but an hour work is about right if you are familiar with taking the panel out.

my trunk is dynamatted with the trunk kit, nothing too extreme. the sound of the sub is better, and it got rid of the trunk lid rattle. but the rattle in the tank is still there.
Actually, I've never taken that panel off before, but im mechanically inclined so I'll be able to figure it out. Im pleased about how solid my trunk is, compared to my 4th gen civic, that mofo rattled like you would't believe. It's just that damn gas tank. I wonder if it's actually the gas tank that is hitting on the underside of the car and not something inside it? Im gonna check it out.
Old 07-05-2002, 06:43 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

if you wanted to get extreme, couldnt you drop the gas tank and wrap the top with dynamat? id assume with the access panel being on top of the rear seat deck like it is the gas tank is probably really cosey with the bottom of the car. doesnt the gas tank also let the exhaust wrap around it?

in my truck i had three main things rattling:
  • gas tank
  • heat shield
  • bed panel, beteween the truck bed and the cabin

in my civic its just the license plate and one piece of side moldings, not enough time to fix it yet.

i might turn the car on and see if i could track the rattles for sure with her on jackstands...run your hand along place and see if you can apply enough pressure to stop the rattle dynamat is expensive so this way you can be conservative h:

please add comments.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:10 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi

i might turn the car on and see if i could track the rattles for sure with her on jackstands...run your hand along place and see if you can apply enough pressure to stop the rattle dynamat is expensive so this way you can be conservative h:

good idea.:thumbup: i never thought to sit under the car and pinpoint the noise.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:20 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by fujiwara takumi
if you wanted to get extreme, couldnt you drop the gas tank and wrap the top with dynamat? id assume with the access panel being on top of the rear seat deck like it is the gas tank is probably really cosey with the bottom of the car. doesnt the gas tank also let the exhaust wrap around it?

please add comments.
I think im gonna do that, put dynamat on top of the gas tank, at least it will lessen the amount of vibration, hopefully lower that damn rattling a bit. I don't mind a little, but when the rattling is as loud as the music, that's bad.

That's what I did to trace to problem to the gas tank, had it on and went to the back and listened for where the noise was coming from. The first thing was my license plate frame, a little bit of silly putty (no joke) took care of that. Hopefully I'll find a resolution for the gas tank issue soon.