Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amp goes into test(protection) mode

Old 06-29-2002, 11:06 PM
cheezthis
sound/acoustical engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any reputable car audio shop. All they need is a DC Power Supply bwt. 12-14 V, some form of a multimeter, and a dummy load.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:10 AM
ChosenGSR

Well I found another amp to test my setup with, its some kind of crunch driven 2 x 100 rms with a 20 amp fuse in it. Anyway, I hooked it up to my fronts and its been working fine now for about 60 minutes. Im gone drive around with it today/tomorrow to makesure it doesnt do what the other one did. So if this one works just fine like it does so far, what do you guys make of it ? From what I understand the HiFonics is pulling too much power, and then shuts off. So do you think if I get a cap it will fix that problem ?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:08 AM
acuradriva

its not shutting of because its "pulling" too much power. the subs aren't even hooked up. A cap won't fix any problem, it might be a band-aid but in your case i really don't think it will help at all. go to the store and buy a digital multi meter. i think they are like 40-60 bucks or borrow one and make sure your power is good at the amp. should be over 12 Volts with car off and over 14 with it on. or try hooking it up in a friends car and see if the amp shuts off.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:46 AM
ChosenGSR

Its not even about pulling all the power out, higher end amps need clean power. I guess we will see.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:30 PM
acuradriva

are people trying to sell you caps and other BS telling you all of this?
Old 07-02-2002, 04:33 PM
ChosenGSR

Nop, people that had this problem before told me so. It makes totaly sense to me though, so I guess I will hook it up once I get it and see.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:23 PM
acuradriva

read this. expecally the posts by richard clark.
http://www.carsound.com/ubb/Archives...-1-000307.html
Old 07-03-2002, 05:57 PM
ChosenGSR

Dude, the thing is. my battery is new. So.... either I the cap will fix it, or I need a new alternator. I know the amp must be good because its the 2nd amp from hifonics thats does EXACTLY the same thing. And I KNOW my setup works because I currently have a smaller amp hooked up to the system and it works just fine. The thing is, I dont think my battery is dieing or I dunno, because my lights are not dimming or anything. Someone suggested to me that the voltage becomes "unclean" at times, and the cap is supposed to flatten all spikes that send the amp into protection. Honestly, I already bought one for 60 bucks, its ont he way here. So I guess I will give it a shot, there is nothing to lose.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:19 PM
b00gers

good luck with it.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
zarape2

Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
Dude, the thing is. my battery is new. So.... either I the cap will fix it, or I need a new alternator. I know the amp must be good because its the 2nd amp from hifonics thats does EXACTLY the same thing. And I KNOW my setup works because I currently have a smaller amp hooked up to the system and it works just fine. The thing is, I dont think my battery is dieing or I dunno, because my lights are not dimming or anything. Someone suggested to me that the voltage becomes "unclean" at times, and the cap is supposed to flatten all spikes that send the amp into protection. Honestly, I already bought one for 60 bucks, its ont he way here. So I guess I will give it a shot, there is nothing to lose.

so it was the cap? cause i have the same problem with a planet audio class d, i cant turn up the volume more than half level

Quick Reply: amp goes into test(protection) mode