Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amp goes into test(protection) mode

Old 06-26-2002, 08:17 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i still think its the amp. install that amp in your friends car....see what happens. or even take it to a shop to see if they have any problems with it.

then you can one by one isolate the problem
Old 06-27-2002, 04:23 AM
ChosenGSR

someone suggested grounding to the batery, i might try that
Old 06-27-2002, 04:59 AM
ChosenGSR

has nothing to do with the gains either, i just tried it with all gains set to min.
Old 06-27-2002, 07:31 AM
arch iceman

Honestly it sounds like its internal. RCA wouldnt cause any problems with the amp going into protection, RCAs would just present a signal problem.

If the power wire had a short in it, most likely it would blow an inline fuse, you do have an inline fuse near the battery right? It would more likely blow the inline fuse first before affecting the amp.

The amp should run without speakers connected. All it needs it power, ground, and turn on to operate.

Like someone suggested have it bench tested at a shop. Carry it in, rather than showing it to them in your car first. That way they dont tell you its a dead amp to try and sell you a new one.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:40 AM
ChosenGSR

Yeah, it actualy turned on just fine today with just power/trigger/ground. But it did shutoff. The last thing i am going to try tomorrow is run a negative wire from the battery to the amp, it does look a grounding problem. It is just that I tried 2 bolts for grounding... anyway, lets see what happens after i do that tomorrow.

the reason i dont think its internal is because I already had this amp exchanged for what looks like a different amp! So I dont think it is the amps problem.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:08 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by ChosenGSR
Yeah, it actualy turned on just fine today with just power/trigger/ground. But it did shutoff. The last thing i am going to try tomorrow is run a negative wire from the battery to the amp, it does look a grounding problem. It is just that I tried 2 bolts for grounding... anyway, lets see what happens after i do that tomorrow.

the reason i dont think its internal is because I already had this amp exchanged for what looks like a different amp! So I dont think it is the amps problem.
instead of running a whole new wire from the battery to the trunk, take the amp out. the pop open your hood and run the wires from there. itll save a lot of time.

just use the 12+ for the remote turn on also.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:42 PM
acuradriva

or just get a multi meter and but the black lead on the - of the amp and the red on the + if you get 12 V with the car off and 14ish with it on your wiring is all correct.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:00 AM
ChosenGSR

So i ran a 8 guage wire from the bat. to the trunk and it works just fine that way (atleast so far)
Old 06-28-2002, 07:04 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by ChosenGSR
So i ran a 8 guage wire from the bat. to the trunk and it works just fine that way (atleast so far)
so its the ground??
Old 06-28-2002, 07:57 AM
ChosenGSR

SH%T or though I though, it just turned off on me after about 30 min NOW i have no clue what it is. I am about to kill this damn amp.

I am totaly confused now, what else could be wrong. It does that with both + and - going to the bat. and only the trigger in. What could possibly be wrong ? I am thinking maybe I have bad luck with HiFonics, but could it be that both amps are bad somehow ? Where could I take this to have it checked out in MD around baltimore ?

Last edited by ChosenGSR; 06-28-2002 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: amp goes into test(protection) mode