Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amp goes into test(protection) mode

Old 06-26-2002, 06:44 AM
ChosenGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp goes into test(protection) mode

I am having a hard time with my amp (see sig). It plays fine untill it goes into test mode. I have checked my ground wire a million times. I even tried a different bolt. all paint chiped off, straight to the chasis. I am sure its not the ground. It is also not overheating. Sometimes it shuts off after 10 minutes, othertimes 30 min. I am starting to think perhaps the power source is not stable enough ? but that is hard to believe because thats my only amp. Also, I shipped my amp to maxsonics and they shipped a new one back to me, and it does the same thing. Any thoughts ?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:01 AM
b00gers

is your sub hooked up correctly? maybe the amp is seeing too low of an OHM rating.

what size power/ground do you have? are the gains turned too high?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:23 AM
ChosenGSR

it does that with or without the sub. both power/ground are 4 guage.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:30 AM
b00gers

how is the amp mounted? is it touching the cars chassis in anyway?

im just shooting out blank questions....:dunno:
Old 06-26-2002, 07:49 AM
ChosenGSR

nop its not touching the chasis in any way. its in the trunk. this is very odd, i have tried everything really. it goes into protection randomly, sometimes it will take no time at all, other times 30 min. I cant figure out whats up.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:24 AM
ChosenGSR

is it not supposed to turn on at all with all speak wires out ? cause i took them all out and now it goes straight to protection mode.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:04 AM
acuradriva

it should turn on as long as there is power ground and remote. its probably the amp.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:32 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by ChosenGSR
is it not supposed to turn on at all with all speak wires out ? cause i took them all out and now it goes straight to protection mode.
if this is the case, i say its something internal in the amp. maybe you can return it for another amp?
Old 06-26-2002, 11:28 AM
cheezthis
sound/acoustical engineer

I'm sure you saw my answer on team-integra...

New twist on the story w/the no speaker connections connected. There has to be a short somewhere, that's for sure. It's possible that it's related to your rca's, remote wire, power/ground wires as well. Take the amp out and have it bench tested somewhere. If it works fine, something is wrong w/your wiring. If it fails a bench test, then get it replaced. Hifonics is a good brand and will take care of you.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:45 PM
ChosenGSR

Hm, for some reason it goes straight into protection mode with no speakers in. But with speakers in it turns on, and then it goes intro portection after a while. my trigger wire goes from the antena trigger to the trunk where it splits to a preamp and the amp. it has no problem triggering the stuff on and off. Ground wire i tried 2 different bolts, so i doubt that is the problem. What could be wrong with the power wire ? and what could be wrong with the rcas ? This is driving me nuts, I am almost ready to find a place around here that would just take a look and fix all this for me.

Quick Reply: amp goes into test(protection) mode