Notices

Key Stuck In Ignition

Old 07-30-2002, 04:04 AM
OutlawWPB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by oofrost

you dont have to turn it on... just disconnect the battery (negative terminal) for about 5 min. Reconnect and let it idle.

I had the same problem before, however it was because I messed around with the actual shifter.
so, i guess the problem started when my girlfriend moved the shifter. OOFROST, so all you did was reset the ECU and the problem was solved? i really don't want to go to the honda dealership so if you had the same problem please let me know exactly waht you did, thanks.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:47 PM
bonestock

Originally posted by xtcracer96
You can also just pull out the ecu fuse, leave it out for a minute or two then put it back in. Much quicker imo.
wat about the backup fuse?
Old 07-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

All it is, is there's a plug that connects to your shifter. If that gets hacked, bumped, or abused so that it isn't sending the signal that it's in park, your key is locked in the ignition. Is the light on your dash saying Park? If not, that's your problem. If so, then it may be a bad solenoid in the ignition.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:18 PM
oofrost

Originally posted by OutlawWPB

so, i guess the problem started when my girlfriend moved the shifter. OOFROST, so all you did was reset the ECU and the problem was solved? i really don't want to go to the honda dealership so if you had the same problem please let me know exactly waht you did, thanks.
Resetting the ECU and my shifting problem were two different things.

To fix my shifter, I had to take the whole thing apart, cause at the bottom of the auto shifter there is a gear, and my gear had knocked out of place and moved into another, so I had to reasemble it. Took about 4-6 hours. Its really hard to explain.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:17 PM
OutlawWPB

Default Re: Key Stuck In Ignition

Originally posted by OutlawWPB
ok, this is my first post so i'll make it a good one. my car is a 1997 EX Sedan auto. the problem started when i was removing the center console to access my factory stereo to get the serial number. they key was in the ignition but the car was not on and the gear shift was in d2. while i was doing this my g/f accidentally moved the gear shift down to d3 which i don't really think affected anything. i put everything back together but when i tried to take the key from the ignition it would not come out. the car starts and runs perfectly but the only way to get the key from the ignition is to disconnect the battery, then the key just slides right out with the battery disconnected. i have to do this every single time and it sucks every time. what is wrong with my car?? any help would greatly be appreciated.
i still have not found a fix and i'm still too cheap to take the car to the mechanic. i've tried resetting the esu, i've checked all fuses. i've tried putting a screwdriver in the shift override and moving the shifter up and down. nothing has helped. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY CAR? is there a honda mechanic on this site? i really don't want to take the car to the mechanic if it is something i can fix myself. thanks...
Old 10-09-2002, 06:13 PM
bonestock

damn still havin the problem, its been like 3 months already. must suck pooping up your hood and disc. the battery every where you go.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:04 AM
2000accordV6

just take it to honda and call it a day...
Old 10-10-2002, 01:55 PM
oofrost

The easiest thing would be to take it to Honda.

I reread your post and now I'll try to explain what happened after I explain the how the automatic shift works on an Accord. On an automatic Honda Accord, you can shift freely between certain gears, (meaning you dont have to push down on the shifter button) N, D4, and D3. When in 1 or 2, you can simply push the shifter foward and it will move into the next gear, however when you try to go down a gear, you have to press the shift button. Thats all nice and dandy, but how the Honda automatic shifter works is a spring, and lever. If you disassemble the shifter, there is a long white stick that goes down the shaft and rests on a semi-cross-shaped metal object. The top part of the white stick connects to the metal object, and on the bottom it rests on a spring. When you press the button on the shifter, it pushes the rod down which moves the metal object, which then pushes down the spring in a way to allow you to shift gears. If the metal object become dislodged, the spring will be dislodged, and then it messes the car up and the electrical signals become messed up. Thats the reason you cant take your key out. The way to fix this yourself is to take apart your shift console, push the spring down, place the metal object in correctly, and then put the white rod in correctly, and reassemble the shifter. The hardest part will be keeping the spring down. Im sure that if you took it to Honda they'd just replace the whole thing instead of fixing it, and I have no idea how much it would cost.

When you had your gear set in 2, the spring would be depressed and the white rod resting. When you girlfriend moved it to D3, the spring would have popped up and the white rod would have shot up the pipe and at that moment is probably when the metal object was dislodged.

I dont know how to explain this any other way. I know its confusing, but I hope it'll make more sense when you take it apart and look at it. Lesson to be learned... dont buy an automatic.