Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Key Stuck In Ignition

Old 07-29-2002, 06:23 AM
OutlawWPB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Stuck In Ignition

ok, this is my first post so i'll make it a good one. my car is a 1997 EX Sedan auto. the problem started when i was removing the center console to access my factory stereo to get the serial number. they key was in the ignition but the car was not on and the gear shift was in d2. while i was doing this my g/f accidentally moved the gear shift down to d3 which i don't really think affected anything. i put everything back together but when i tried to take the key from the ignition it would not come out. the car starts and runs perfectly but the only way to get the key from the ignition is to disconnect the battery, then the key just slides right out with the battery disconnected. i have to do this every single time and it sucks every time. what is wrong with my car?? any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:31 AM
b00gers

the key was in the "on" position and the lever was moved up from D2 to D3.....or did you mean it was moved down from D3 to D2?
Old 07-29-2002, 06:45 AM
OutlawWPB

it was moved down not up
Old 07-29-2002, 08:35 AM
b00gers

maybe you should play with that Shift Lock slot. stick your key in there, and shift the lever around.

then stick the key into the ON position and stick a flathead in the slot and shift the lever around.

try this, im NOT sure if itll work.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:49 AM
OutlawWPB

i'll give that a try, thanks. will resetting the ECU have any affect on this?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:50 AM
b00gers

it wont do harm....try it.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

is there some sort of electromagnet in there or something? i dont see how it is electrically holding your key unless that main relay has gone bad, i know that can effect 4th and early 5th gen models.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:08 AM
OutlawWPB

I don't know what the problem is, I have tried everything that has been posted here and have had no results. I know for sure that it is electrically/mechanically holding the key because when I disconnect the battery the key comes right out. When the battery is connected the key will not come out. How do I replace the main relay?
Old 08-02-2002, 04:20 AM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

Originally posted by OutlawWPB
I don't know what the problem is, I have tried everything that has been posted here and have had no results. I know for sure that it is electrically/mechanically holding the key because when I disconnect the battery the key comes right out. When the battery is connected the key will not come out. How do I replace the main relay?
goto www.fourthgenhatch.com or ask fourthgenhatch on this site, he just fixed this on his a few months back.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Nickernack

Same thing happened to me with a 99 honda accord. Only able to remove the key with the battery disconnected.

I fixed it by taking the automatic shifter apart. I think something happened and it became misaligned inside. I put it back together and it worked again!!

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Key Stuck In Ignition