Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter

Old 10-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Macster33
Hottest of the Hot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter

Can someone please tell me where the starter is located?

Heres the story

1995 Accord Coupe / 78,000+ miles

Took my car out of my garage and drove it down the street just fine, then midway in second gear, (just teling you what gear i was in), i heard this loud grinding noise then the car turned off. Tried starting it again and it will crank but wont start.... well eventually from trying that now the starter is ****ed cause it no longer cranks, just clicks. in order for me to find out what the hell the grinding noise is i gotta get the car started. The battery is fine, and so is the distributer and timing belt. But right now i need to get the starter off, where is it located? And what do you think the grinding sound might have been? the starter? the tranny? the engine?
Old 10-10-2002, 12:37 PM
ccpp

It about 12 inches below the distributor cap when you look at it from the front. It has a round black shell.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:39 PM
ccpp

BTW, have you replaced the timing belt yet?
Old 10-10-2002, 02:39 PM
lfemartini

I don't know if that's your starter. The starter only helps ingnite the spark during start-up, not when your driving down the street. It sounds like your alternator.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Macster33
Hottest of the Hot

no i haavent replaced the belt yet, i was going to once i got up to 80,000 miles, right now i am at 78,000+ and sitting.

One thing tho is the starter, cause it wont turn over anymore after several attempts to start it and jump start it.

One tech from honda came to my house to take a look before the starter went out, he doesnt think its the engine or belt cause it tried to turn over, but he says i need the starter first so he can turn the car on to determine the "high deep grinding" sound i heard. But he did say my timing belt is worn and its time for another one.

But on the other hand, from what i told other techs, some think its either the tranny or a tooth is missing from the belt.

Old 10-10-2002, 06:46 PM
ccpp

Originally posted by Macster33
One tech from honda came to my house to take a look before the starter went out, he doesnt think its the engine or belt cause it tried to turn over, but he says i need the starter first so he can turn the car on to determine the "high deep grinding" sound i heard.
So, the tech said you needed a new starter even before the starter went out? Was your engine turning or not when he looked at it? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Macster33
Hottest of the Hot

OK before it would turn, and try to start, well now it just clicks, which means the starter is now out....

when it wasnt clicking, he said that the engine would crank and all....

do you understand? basically it was trying to start but would fully turn over, on his last try, the starter got stuck and is now ****ed up...