Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

street racing

Old 01-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Josh M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightshade
That is a stupid argument because if you are going to spend the money to build a sub 10 second vehicle why wouldn't you put in the safety equipment to protect yourself?

seriously think about it for a second and look at the requirements.

Roll cage: Protects in a rollover, stiffens chassis which helps launch, also stiffens during cornering and heavy braking.

Harnesses: again saves your ass if you wreck

Helmets: See above

Flame retardent suit: Yeah I know I like it when my high compression engine pops and spits fuel all over frying me to a crisp as much as the next guy, but they look cool.

Fire supression system: Again I like BBQ so who needs it.

Then you get into things like plexiglass and other items for weight as well as safety.

If you put 100k into a car and can't afford to put these items into your vehicle and pay to race on a legitimate track then you are a complete and utter moron who not only has more money than brains, but you don't even deserve to be driving at that point simply on a functionally retarded reasoning.

If you are going to put that kind of money into a vehicle and are worried about resale then you are an even bigger moron. Anyone who has been in this game for more than a year knows that you never make your money back on a modded vehicle...you may break even if you play your cards right but even that is very rare.

I've made money on every car I've sold...........and yes I know you lose your ass generally speaking when you sell your car. Most people in general though want to keep it as stock looking as possible. Also having a roll cage in your car is dangerous on the street if you aren't wearing a helmet. Granted most people don't put one in because they don't want to lose their back seat or they don't want the added weight, I dunno.

As for the people you know who race high investment cars, there douch bags
Sure, I guess we all can't be cool and drive turbo hondas
Old 01-20-2006, 08:01 AM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

Originally Posted by 2gr84u
Tracks are controled enviroments, if you crash, there are saftey personel waiting to help. The precautions tracks take are nesacary safty things if you want to race. Even on the the emptiest highway theres a multiple of variables that you have no chance to control, like busted tire in the middle of the road, or animal crossing the street.
Im one of the safety personel. I will vouch that even in stock cars that run on fun days have had some nasty spills and still in a controlled enviornment with the safty team and flagging have survived with minor injuries... this includes rolls and flips!

the reason? because all that crap was taken into consideration, in making a slightly downward grass area for 100 feet on both sides of the track, with a 5 tire wide tire wall. if people could see some of the crashes i have they would reailze that your surroundings are the most probable cause of death.

But still its always the smart reasonable ppl that bring thier cars, the damn ricers and cavaliers will never show up, I try, even though i dont want to see such cars on the track i know it would make a huge diffrence in how they drive on the streets.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:52 AM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Originally Posted by spankaveli
That's not true. We have two within an hour of here and people still do it.
at lease you have 2... Here in so. cali "street race capital of the world" there is one 1/8 mile track and one 1/4 mile track 200 miles apart http://www.racelegal.com/news/news.asp 1/8 mile track is open once a month. so i think if you give it a chance and build more 1/8 mile 1/4 mile tracks you reduce street racing.. You are never gon to stop it but "reduce" is the key word here!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh M
Most people in general though want to keep it as stock looking as possible. Also having a roll cage in your car is dangerous on the street if you aren't wearing a helmet. Granted most people don't put one in because they don't want to lose their back seat or they don't want the added weight, I dunno.
Bullshit...plain and simple those are bullshit excuses. I drive around and ride in caged vehicles all the time, I have rolled over countless times, fallen directly back, flopped etc and not once did I have a helmet on nor did I get seriously injured. Cage design is a big part of it all.

You are using excuses plain and simple. Why would someone go out and spend 100k on a vehicle and modding it just to risk having it taken from them for street racing? This is the perfect example of someone with too much money and almost no brains. They are the type that throws money at a problem then stomp their feet and cry to the courts when they don't get their way.

Your friends are dipshits and I hope every one of them drives right into the side of a rig trailer or into a curb at high speed.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

As for street racing I shall refrain from commenting.

Roll cages and/or bars in street cars though, not every car is necessarily safer by putting a roll bar in it.

For example I thought it'd be all nice and spiffy looking to put a double-hoop chrome rollbar in my Miata. But the only place to put it is right behind the seats and it wouldn't be that hard to smack my head on the bar.

So for a Miata you're supposed to put the proper padding on the bar, but then you don't have them pretty chrome hoops up there, and it just looks freaking ugly.

If I were to have some sort of high-powered car that is capable of running in the 10s and also driving on the street, I wouldn't want to put a cage in it. Door bars are no fun going to a nice restaurant or something. I wouldn't necessarily run it on the highway. I would be more inclined to show up at a track, make one pass and get kicked out because it's too quick, and not have that cage.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:54 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by SP00NFed
i wish there was a track around me... i have to drive 3 hours to get to a track. but that doesn't make street racing right still. like some have said its been around for so long and sadly it will never go away.
What are you talking about? LIme Rock park is right there.

I drove 8 hours to VIR to to a track day with NASA. Super fun and worth the drive and hotel fees.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:59 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely do not condone street racing. I did it a little back when I had the supra (and honestly, I was the dink that would've crashed and killed somebody, I didn't know how to drive back then), and once in the civic (agains a hybrid prius :deek: ) But have learned through near accidents and mishaps that the only place for 10/10 driving is a legal sanctioned event with safety controls. I don't even do spirited canyon driving beyond 7/10... no point.