Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

street racing

Old 01-19-2006, 02:16 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by puffy
I am turning into devils advocate here but why do people mod their cars with turbos, s/c, etc and they say thing like "you shouldn't street race". Its a bunch of BS and we all know it. And then things like "only take it to the track". 99% of people who does mods to their daily daily drivers and 100% of them do it for performance. People are full of shit these days. Thats why I hate the whole "import scene".
I put a turbo on my car to make it a more enjoyable daily driver. I didnt do it so i could blow that car next to me away. Most people street racing are not the people with alot of work into the car, its mostly kids with stickers and euro tails who are ignorant beyond there years when it comes to driving safly. I think the real solution to street racing is making tracks readily available for the amateur. This will give kids and adults alike a place to race leagally, and making it readily avaibable means there less likly to revert to street racing. I think its dumb when people blame movies and video games for peoples actions. If you were issued a drivers licence your smart enough to understand the difference between a movie and a video game. The game didnt make you go 130 down the highway, your own bad judgement did
Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

Originally Posted by puffy
I am turning into devils advocate here but why do people mod their cars with turbos, s/c, etc and they say thing like "you shouldn't street race". Its a bunch of BS and we all know it. And then things like "only take it to the track". 99% of people who does mods to their daily daily drivers and 100% of them do it for performance. People are full of shit these days. Thats why I hate the whole "import scene".
I actually take mine to the track and don't participate in street racing.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Josh M

Originally Posted by 2gr84u
I put a turbo on my car to make it a more enjoyable daily driver. I didnt do it so i could blow that car next to me away. Most people street racing are not the people with alot of work into the car, its mostly kids with stickers and euro tails who are ignorant beyond there years when it comes to driving safly. I think the real solution to street racing is making tracks readily available for the amateur.

I know people who have literally 100,000 plus invested in their cars and still street race. IMO its not bad as long as you are doing it at say 1am and its on a clear 4 lane highway and not some residential area or some other area where there could be innocent bystanders..........haven't you seen all the vids on the internet of supras/vipers/vettes/ferraris running on the streets? I am not sure what you mean by who don't have a lot of work into the car. Its just the losers in civics that are doing it on crowded streets

The track is a lot different than the streets, and all the safety equipment requirements is a PITA and can hurt you if you go to resell the car, therefore the track is not a viable option if you have a legitimate sub 10 second car unless you want to hack it up and put a cage, scatter shield, chute, etc in.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
2gr84u
2gr84u

Originally Posted by Josh M
I know people who have literally 100,000 plus invested in their cars and still street race. IMO its not bad as long as you are doing it at say 1am and its on a clear 4 lane highway and not some residential area or some other area where there could be innocent bystanders..........haven't you seen all the vids on the internet of supras/vipers/vettes/ferraris running on the streets? I am not sure what you mean by who don't have a lot of work into the car. Its just the losers in civics that are doing it on crowded streets

The track is a lot different than the streets, and all the safety equipment requirements is a PITA and can hurt you if you go to resell the car, therefore the track is not a viable option if you have a legitimate sub 10 second car unless you want to hack it up and put a cage, scatter shield, chute, etc in.
Tracks are controled enviroments, if you crash, there are saftey personel waiting to help. The precautions tracks take are nesacary safty things if you want to race. Even on the the emptiest highway theres a multiple of variables that you have no chance to control, like busted tire in the middle of the road, or animal crossing the street. If you have a 10 second car and your racing it and you dont think you NEED a roll cage, you need to see what car does at just 60mph, and imagine that 10x worse going 100+. As for the people you know who race high investment cars, there douch bags, street racing is dumb whether its in a 200 civic or a 200,000 ferraris
Old 01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

street racing is stupid end of story... if u wanna put ur foot down when ur driving alone late at night... but actually racing will cause the "i have to win" mentality in the idiots that dont know what they are doing

i've been to 2 racing schools... and i know that i could safely drive 100-120mph down city roads, but i still don't because

-tickets (gotten too many)
<-- have lost 2 people to street racing too
-just unsafe... my friends/family/girlfriend doesn't need to get that call..

i have a s/c on my car... i will be turboing it...and it is going to be a daily driver/weekend track car, daily, i got 5-10 over and don't blink about it
Old 01-19-2006, 03:58 PM
GotJDM?
No longer a Honda Driver.

took me getting busted to learn how dumb it was. I wasn't racing just watching, which is just as bad.

I've grew up a lot since I got busted too. Its just not worth it.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:38 PM
808nakoa

i've watched some before, never ran though.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh M

That is a stupid argument because if you are going to spend the money to build a sub 10 second vehicle why wouldn't you put in the safety equipment to protect yourself?

seriously think about it for a second and look at the requirements.

Roll cage: Protects in a rollover, stiffens chassis which helps launch, also stiffens during cornering and heavy braking.

Harnesses: again saves your ass if you wreck

Helmets: See above

Flame retardent suit: Yeah I know I like it when my high compression engine pops and spits fuel all over frying me to a crisp as much as the next guy, but they look cool.

Fire supression system: Again I like BBQ so who needs it.

Then you get into things like plexiglass and other items for weight as well as safety.

If you put 100k into a car and can't afford to put these items into your vehicle and pay to race on a legitimate track then you are a complete and utter moron who not only has more money than brains, but you don't even deserve to be driving at that point simply on a functionally retarded reasoning.

If you are going to put that kind of money into a vehicle and are worried about resale then you are an even bigger moron. Anyone who has been in this game for more than a year knows that you never make your money back on a modded vehicle...you may break even if you play your cards right but even that is very rare.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:19 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

I street raced today and I lost. I was doing the speed limit and an old lady pass me by :run:

j/k Street racing is dumb, that's why I take it to the track. Going to a racing day next month.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:31 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

street racing has been around since cars have. it will never stop.
i street race if there is no traffic. i'd rather race at the track, though.