Notices

Question about the Remote Wire

Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
tdcdodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Remote Wire

I installed my subs about 2 weeks ago, and they worked fine for about a week and stopped working.

I've got a couple questions:

- I just want to know what exactly the Remote wire does (runs from the back of the head unit to the amp)

- My Amp was constantly gettiner power, even when the car was off, any ideas what could be wrong?

- On the Remote wire, there is a prong (or fork -= lookin thing) behind the HU, i was wondering if it was nessary, or if i can just stirp the two wires and connect them to each other without the prong

Thanks in advance

PS. my amp is wired directly to the battery
Old 03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Your remote wire has to run into your deck. Does your deck shut off when the car is off? The remote wire should shut off with the deck. The Remote Wire tells the Amp to turn on. Get a connector that works with your deck and put it on the wire.

duck squad member #00003
Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM
tdcdodger

Yes my deck does shut off with my car, but for some reason, my amp wasn't

Originally Posted by 94civicEX
Get a connector that works with your deck and put it on the wire.
What exactly do you mean by this?

thanks in advance
Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
vtecnoobnc
Banned

the remote wire is easier to run from the amp,to a fuse(cigarette lighter,radio fuse,etc)that way it turns off wth the car.the only thing that should run from the deck to the amp is rca wires.if your amp always got power...your battery should be dead as hell.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Illegal B16
New Zealand

Please dont run it to a fuse. the blue wire with the white stripe is where the remote wire is supposed to be. It's prob just on the wrong one in the harness. Just move it.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:30 PM
vtecnoobnc
Banned

since you dont know what you are doing,run it to a fuse,that way the only thing you can mess up is a 20 cent fuse..theres no reason not to.if you want to risk screwing up your head unit wiring it wrong,go ahead
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 PM
tdcdodger

I got it to work for about 2 weeks, then it just stopped cold turkey, so i've had it correctly wired in the past, some of my friends are saying that i might have fried the AMP b/c it constantly had power running to it.

My friend also suggested that the remote wire is messed up, cause it is what tells the Amp to turn on and off, and since to amp was alway on, sometime was messed up
Old 03-29-2005, 05:40 PM
vtecnoobnc
Banned

does the amp have a protection light...red or green light.check and make sre your ground wire is not loose and find the best possible place to ground it to and make sure there is no paint
Old 03-29-2005, 05:41 PM
vtecnoobnc
Banned

if the red protection light is on,you either blew the amp,a fuse, or have a bad ground
Old 03-29-2005, 06:41 PM
troy19prelude
Troy Zeppieri

Default right!!

Dont be stupid and run it to a fuse. Like others said on here you must run the remote wire from the head unit, which is blue with a white stripe, to the remote turn on lead on the amp. That is the professional way to run a remote wire. If you do it any other way that would just be plain ghetto. If you have it hooked up correctly the amp will turn off. Good luck and please don't run it the ghetto way you wont fry your head unit