Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Old 08-30-2003, 02:20 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dorikin
:werd: After killing the 4G63 and AWD, it went downhill...maybe they knew they were gonna bring the Evo over, and killed it so they wouldnt canniballize eachother...?
That doesn't sound so likely to me. The current Eclipse came out in fall '99 as an '00 model car, and the WRX (which is basically what encouraged Mitsu to bring over the EVO) didn't come out til spring '01 as an '02. The 1st- and 2nd-gen Eclipses were more kind of the American equivalent to the FTO but tailored more to American tastes while the 3rd-gen is all marketing and relatively little substance which is why it sells more.
Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
The placement of the mirror and the front quarter window are very weird. They somehow remind me of an 80's Ferrari

(I flipped this pic around to give a similar angle)

From what I can gather my guess is the styling will be best described as TT meets Endeavor, judging from the fender curve that's visible under the cladding.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:20 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MrFatBooty

From what I can gather my guess is the styling will be best described as TT meets Endeavor, judging from the fender curve that's visible under the cladding.
Thanks Mike. TT was what I was reaching for

This is gonna be a unique car from the looks of it.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:50 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Hmmm... at least they finally ditched the fro-pick bumpers and lower door panels. :chuckles:

When the rest of the camo comes off, I'll weigh in on design.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-31-2003, 01:15 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

It's still going to suck. The only Mitsubishi product I'd ever drive is an EVO.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:28 AM
AcuraFanatic

A 3.8 V-6 is way too big for most "sport compact enthusiasts" tastes. That's a truck engine.

The stance looks like it'll be nice, but the current Eclipse looks nice too.

It looks like it's getting even better and softer. :down:
Old 08-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Integrity
Some have it, some don't

The 1st- and 2nd-gen Eclipses were more kind of the American equivalent to the FTO but tailored more to American tastes while the 3rd-gen is all marketing and relatively little substance which is why it sells more.
You're right about that. The Eclipse was suppose to steal away from the market that Honda created with the Civic, Prelude, and Integra. After they realized they couldn't compete head to head in the same market, Mistubishi decided to go after a slightly older group of people seeking to relive some of their "childhood."
Old 08-31-2003, 12:34 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Now granted I don't know the actual demographics of Eclipse buyers, but judging by the advertising I'd say that Mitsu is targeting the "young and hip" demo that may or may not be conscious of actual performance. They want a car that can provide the sports car image without actually delivering on the sports car goods (which keeps them with a comfy ride and cupholders that will hold a Double Gulp).
Old 08-31-2003, 01:05 PM
Integrity
Some have it, some don't

Now granted I don't know the actual demographics of Eclipse buyers, but judging by the advertising I'd say that Mitsu is targeting the "young and hip" demo that may or may not be conscious of actual performance. They want a car that can provide the sports car image without actually delivering on the sports car goods (which keeps them with a comfy ride and cupholders that will hold a Double Gulp).
I read about it somewhere. I forget exactly, its been awhile. Specifically, they are after the 25 - 35 segment.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:23 PM
BonzoAPD

Originally posted by Dorikin
:werd: After killing the 4G63 and AWD, it went downhill...maybe they knew they were gonna bring the Evo over, and killed it so they wouldnt canniballize eachother...?
so true, once the newer version came out the car went to shit. I doubt they did it because the evo was gonna come over. I just think they dropped the ball
Old 08-31-2003, 06:32 PM
Dorikin
530i

a car that can provide the sports car image without actually delivering on the sports car goods
Kinda like a TT