Notices

LS TURBO vs. GSR

Old 04-25-2003, 01:01 AM
kalaniocc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ha

shingos a gs-r owner, of course he would want to justify all the extra wasted money he put in for leather seats and a pussy engine until vtec actually starts to kick in. my guess is he drives around all day in 2nd gear but who cares...
Old 04-25-2003, 01:06 AM
HYBRID

making dumbass claims with no proof makes you the morons. a turbo gsr will take a turbo ls. unless there are tuning issues involved. and the gsr is a better car. before you respond to my last statement i drive a 96 ls and yes i do wish i waited and bought a gsr.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:18 AM
kalaniocc

Default ok

ok i dont care. i dont think gs-r is that much better. do you have a turbo ls? no. so shut up. you have a piece of shit 96 integra from 8 years ago. and if a gs-r does take an ls both having turbo, then fine. who gives a shit? all im saying is the ls engine is safer to turbocharge than a gs-r engine. thats all. you people concern yourselves so much with going fast, being faster than the other person, when in all probabilty you cant even drive worth a shit. ive seen it everywhere. stupid kids in their cars which is probably what you all are. anyway, yeah get a gs-r and turbo it and it would be faster than an ls turbo. but youd prob blow it up before the week is done with your stupid driving and wanting to boost at 10 psi just to see what it feels like. you people are gay, spend money on a girl not your ****ing car.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:29 AM
Deludedteg

Kalan,
Why don't you show us "Stupid kids" why an LS turbo is much safer than a GSR turbo?

Do you have an LS turbo?
Old 04-25-2003, 04:38 AM
teg_fan
I like integra's

ok, chill out people, we're here to help each other out, not pussy footin around like a buncha ass's arguin. Why don't you check into sc'n it instead. Does anyone know about the sc'd ls??
Old 04-25-2003, 06:26 AM
kalaniocc

Default true

thanks man, thats what im saying, i dont care to argue. i own a '94 rx-7 but my brother has a 2000 integra ls turbo. from what the mechanic people told him and some other teg people (because hes into that whole scene) the consensus was turbo ls was a safer move because of its torque characteristics. but do what you like man. ive driven the teg and i like it a lot, its not as quick as the rx-7 but its a hell of a lot more reliable. my turbos blew at around 40k and i had to get them rebuilt, and let me tell you that is a lot of money and a pain in the ass, all rotary engines are.

so boost safe... ls turbo ive heard is safer for engine. but anyway yeah that is it.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:49 AM
Tigger

First off, I'd like to say that while I don't have many posts, I have been reading things on this board for a looooong time, and Shingo definitly knows his stuff. Secondly, IMHO, turboing an LS is easier than turboing a GSR. I'm not saying this because I have an LS. This is just an opinion based on all the research I've done. It is easier, because tuning is easier. You don't have to take into account the VTEC kicking in and causing trouble. Also, the lower compression is good for turbo. This is not to say that you cannot turbo a GSR, it just will be a little more difficult. As far as the internals being weaker in a GSR, I don't know if that is true or not, but if you're going to turbo your engine, you should probably build the engine to handle the boost, no matter if it is LS or GSR. Just my .02. Hope it helps.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:13 AM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

Default Re: ha

Originally posted by kalaniocc
you people are so stupid. oh gs-r vtec oh wow its so much better. no, you are wrong. put a turbo on a gs-r at 8 psi you will blow up in a matter of weeks. ls engine handles turbo much better. theres no switching of lobs and vtec kicking in, its just a better engine for torque and a turbo. its safer. but do what you like man, you probably cant drive worth shit anyway so it wont matter what you get.
Agreed. An LS offers much lower compression than a GSR. Lower compression offers a turbo better effectiveness and efficiency. The LS block is a much safer engine to turbo, provides a torque-ier powerband when turboed. When going f/i on a GSR higher compression engine, detonation becomes a much bigger issue, hence people saying those engines will "blow" after a much shorter period of time. To everybody their own, personally I wouldn't turbo a GSR I'd go N/A with that. But I would definately turbo an LS, do some research and see what kind of numbers those engines when properly built and tuned will pull. Hope that helps some...

Originally posted by kalaniocc
shingos a gs-r owner, of course he would want to justify all the extra wasted money he put in for leather seats and a pussy engine until vtec actually starts to kick in. my guess is he drives around all day in 2nd gear but who cares...

Shingo knows his shit and doesn't go around *acting* like he knows a lot. He's humble and doesn't bother to argue with people who think way too highly of themselves in respect to cars to believe or take into consideraton of other peoples thoughts and opinions...so :slap:
Old 04-25-2003, 07:15 AM
newgsrdriver

With threads like these, there is so much unbelievable bullshit posted, I dont even know where to start.

A GSR turbo setup is IDEAL over an LS Turbo. Period. Fact. The same tuned and installed turbo kit on a GSR will ALWAYS ALWAYS make more power.

There is no problem with "VTEC kicking in." The only thing VTEC creates is more power. FACT.

Tuning is EXACTLY the same except you would have to take into account the VTEC crossover, where you will make MORE power. Tuning is tuning, in an LS vs GSR scenario, there is no difference. Things that WOULD make a difference would be the EMS/piggyback youre using, wideband, etc.

Sure lower compression is "good" for a turbo setup, meaning you can run higher boost levels "safer." In reality, higher compression = more power per PSI. So youre 10PSI LS still wont create the power of a 7PSI GSR. Not only that, theres way more that goes into what makes power and what is safe than just compression.

GSR internals being "weaker?" Where do people get this stuff?

Kalani - youre an idiot, and honestly the reason that this board isnt as happenin as it used to be. If everyone is so stupid, and you admit that the argument you so staunchly defend is wrong, then why are you here. See ya.

Anyone else want to clear up any ridiculous misconceptions being posted? I really wish people would include "IMO" or "from what Ive read on the boards" or "Idont know if this is true..." before their statements. Some of you do do that.

Im just dumbfounded at so many of the things in this post.
For the record, my GSR with STOCK internals has held up to over 30,000 miles of boost, 6-11PSI, and I make 140lb/ft to the wheels at 3500RPM. Which means 5th gear @ 40mph has plenty of pickup, thanks, no need to cruise in 2nd.

Bottom line, a GSR motor is IDEAL FOR BOOST. THIS IS A FACT.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Default Re: Re: ha

Originally posted by honda_pilot
Agreed. An LS offers much lower compression than a GSR. Lower compression offers a turbo better effectiveness and efficiency. The LS block is a much safer engine to turbo, provides a torque-ier powerband when turboed. When going f/i on a GSR higher compression engine, detonation becomes a much bigger issue, hence people saying those engines will "blow" after a much shorter period of time. To everybody their own, personally I wouldn't turbo a GSR I'd go N/A with that. But I would definately turbo an LS, do some research and see what kind of numbers those engines when properly built and tuned will pull. Hope that helps some...

Shingo knows his shit and doesn't go around *acting* like he knows a lot. He's humble and doesn't bother to argue with people who think way too highly of themselves in respect to cars to believe or take into consideraton of other peoples thoughts and opinions...so :slap:
I practically wrote this post in my head while reading all the other posts saying one is better than the other without proof!

Damn you Honda_pilot for beating me to posting it!:fawk:

The lower compression on an LS/GS engine is much more boost friendly than the higher compression of the VTEC b18c engines. Not to mention that with a VTEC head you get a lot of blow by with forced induction when VTEC kicks in. From my understanding of VTEC there is a slight overlap on the exhaust and intake cams where the valves on the intake start opening before the valves on the exhaust are closed creating a vacuum sucking in air...with FI this is not needed and alot of air is "blown by" because it is being both pushed and pulled into the piston chamber.