Notices

b18c Long Block Price

Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 PM
2000geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c Long Block Price

So i'm the sucker that bought a 180k mile OBDII gsr for 4 grand.... check engline light, need new clutch, gasket blown, burns oil...

Check engine light is on because my catalyc converter is bad...

So what do i do? i take the easy way and get a new motor...w/ tax :rant: replace clutch, jdm warrantied b18c motor, installed for $2700.

Real question is how much can i sell my usdm motor for?

Do i sell it as one? sell head and bottom block separately?

I don't plan to lie about my motor, and hopefully they can check it out before it comes out of my car... but what is a fair price for the actual long block and top/bottom sold separately? Aren't the 18c blocks kind of rare too?

looking forward to your opinions...thanks (will be sold in southern cali by the way)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 AM
ReaperOne

Im not sure what the GSR goes for, but try calling around to the junk yards and ask for a price on 1 and how many miles it has on it to get a ball park figure. I bought my Ls B18B1 for $700, so I would guess maybe around $1500? ? ?

As far as the Catalytic converter, if it is bad you will have to replace it or the CEL will still be on when you replace the engine. . .

I would post it together, but as willing to part out, you may get more for it parting it out, but may be stuck with the left over parts that no one wanted. . .

You could also see if the place that will put in the new engine will take the old one as a trade to knock off some of the price, that way you don't have to worry about it. . .

Let me know what you end up doing. . . I got 2 B18B1 engines but thinking about selling them and going GSR. . .
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Or you could just build the GSR.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 PM
2000geezer

Default Motor for Sale

Originally Posted by ReaperOne
Im not sure what the GSR goes for, but try calling around to the junk yards and ask for a price on 1 and how many miles it has on it to get a ball park figure. I bought my Ls B18B1 for $700, so I would guess maybe around $1500? ? ?

As far as the Catalytic converter, if it is bad you will have to replace it or the CEL will still be on when you replace the engine. . .

I would post it together, but as willing to part out, you may get more for it parting it out, but may be stuck with the left over parts that no one wanted. . .

You could also see if the place that will put in the new engine will take the old one as a trade to knock off some of the price, that way you don't have to worry about it. . .

Let me know what you end up doing. . . I got 2 B18B1 engines but thinking about selling them and going GSR. . .
Thanks for the response. It seems like no one in this economy really wants to buy a genuine usdm b18c1 because only funny guys try to lowball me for like 400 for entire long block.... while trying to convince me to come to their shop that has bad reputation all over the region. Then the guy won't stop txting me because he thinks I"M stupid.... i dunno... that guy was just waay out there...

Anyways, granted that it's been driven 180k miles (freeway miles), anyone buying a used 11 year old motor will surely replace what is necessary....

Where do you normally sell your motor Reaper? I'm from Orange County and can sell you what you need, whether you just want the bottom block or the head. Maybe i can even send a truck out there cheap for delivery. If i can't sell the other, maybe i'll learn to work on my own car for the first time.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 PM
2000geezer

Default Noob

Originally Posted by Line7
Or you could just build the GSR.
just like what my profile says, i am pretty noob with fixing cars.

if i had a spare car to take to work, i would definitely try working on rebuilding it, but whether you take it to a shop or do it yourself, it will take too long while still costing me a good amount of money.

Which part of the motor is more difficult and tactical to rebuild? the head or the bottom?

Anyone looking for a legit, non stolen, matching vin with reg. and with every part of the car, please let me know. I'm willing to work things out. This motor has never been opened, everything factory honda specs, and is still running in my car right now.

It does have 180k miles and will need to replace the rings cus the motor does burn some oil. You won't see a drop of oil when you park it though.

Last edited by 2000geezer; 08-23-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 AM
ReaperOne

You can put it up on craigslist. . . Someone may wanna pick it up for a LS Vtec conversion. . . I would be interested in the block internals, but am broke as well, thats why my LS is just sitting on the engine stand for right now, but hopefully can start to build it up soon. . . running a 99 LS in my 96 sedan right now. . .

Line7 is right, you could just build the GSR, that is why I bought the stock 99 LS Im running right now, so I can build up my original LS engine, but still haven't figured out what I wanna do to it. . .

Last edited by ReaperOne; 08-24-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Lynxs1981

I know you said you're new to working on cars, but honda motors are really easy. You could rebuild the whole motor in a weekend with a manual and like $100 in parts.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
ReaperOne

Lynxs1981 is right. . .

I learned how to work on my integra just that way. . .

If you need it, I have the service manual for the 94 and up integra in PDF and can email it to you. . .
it was pretty much dead on except for the torque on the camshaft bots, which it states should be tightened to like 8lbs, but after snapping 1 the shop told me just to tighten them by hand and they will be okay. . .
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM
2000geezer

Default USDM vs JDM vs REBUILD

So besides the fact that jdm has 10 extra horse power, are there really no difference at all between the two motors?

I've noticed that there are 2 sides... people who prefer rebuilds, and people who prefer JDM.

Is it really true that it's always best to keep the original matching vin number motor with your car than to replace with a completely different (yet the same) JDM motor? Is it really going to run just like a oem motor if i were to swap it with a different motor?

although this came from a person suggesting rebuilding, he believes that it can "confuse" the cars and not function as smoothly with a rebuilt, and spoke like a car is more than just a machine, and also puts more value on my vehicle... kind of weird but it kind of makes sense to me...

Person suggesting jdm swap said that even though rebuilt, a 180k mile motor (mine is 180k) will never run as well as a 30-40k mile motor... also makes sense to me.

I'd appreciate any non bias opinions as all these people had one thing in common...money! Were these people just trying to sell me for a chance to make money on my car? I wouldn't say they're trying to rip me off, but i know they are making a legit profit off me. What if i create a "frankenstein" motor and build my own block, but buy a similar, but rebuilt head to save time on the swap/rebuild... good thing about this is i will have either the head or the block to start learning.... which would be more adequate for a beginner anyways? the head or the block?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by 2000geezer; 08-25-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added "rebuild" on title
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
2000geezer

Default Manuals

Originally Posted by ReaperOne
Lynxs1981 is right. . .

I learned how to work on my integra just that way. . .

If you need it, I have the service manual for the 94 and up integra in PDF and can email it to you. . .
it was pretty much dead on except for the torque on the camshaft bots, which it states should be tightened to like 8lbs, but after snapping 1 the shop told me just to tighten them by hand and they will be okay. . .
Hey Reaper,

Thanks for your offer. Do you think you can send me the integra manual pdf?

I would like to go over it before i start ripping everything apart and dig a really deep hole.

My email is wonshur@yahoo.com, and maybe if i look at the manual first, i can kind of know what i'm up against.

Thanks!