Notices

Launching a GS-R correctly.....

Old 03-04-2003, 04:55 AM
eclipse spanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching a GS-R correctly.....

OK, I've been driving my GS-R for about 2 months now, and I have finally come to realize that the gs-r IS indeed a pretty quick car, though a bit harder to drive than an LS. torque power curves are a bit more linear with the LS, which in turn leads to easier manipulation of the engine. The torque and power curves on the GS-R call for a bit more concentration and awareness, as the switch between going from no torque/power, to aot of torque/power in proportion to revs can be elusive at times . It is even pretty quick low in the rpm range, if you know how to launch it the right way. For this specific reason, I have been practicing my launches, to try and strike a perfect balance between instant acceleration (no lag), but no tire burning.

So far, this is what I have come up with. At a standstill, I rev up to about 2800, and then pop the clutch as quick as possible, but let the accelerator down a bit more smoothly, as not to burn the tires, and give it a nice, healthy take-off. When I reach about 6k, I change into second gear, as I have found that 1rst gear above 6k, results in nothing more but a lot of noise, and occasional tire burning if you are not careful. During the switch, I let the rpms fall to about 3200 ( just above the "no torque" zone. Once in second gear ( this seems to be a nice accelerating gear), I pick the rpms up, allow the vtec to engage, and bring it to 7000. The reason why I bring it to 7000, is to reduce the amount of time it will take me to switch to 3rd, which in my opinion is the GS-R's best gear. I let the rpm, fall to 4500, and than once in third, allow the engine to take full advantage of this gear and stretch it out all the way to the redline. From there, 4rth and 5th pretty much follow the same pattern.

Well this is what I have found to be the best launch sequence for GS-R. If you guys feel differently, let me know, Or if you have a better technique, I'm all ears !!!!!!
Old 03-04-2003, 04:58 AM
ur31337
Colby

Are you on stock tires? I bought a 01 LS brand new, then proceeded to put Dunlop SP Sport 5000s on (205/50/15) and launching was 25x easier. I brought these tires over onto my Type R, so I could drive through winter. If you're on stock michelins, launching in wet weather was a problem for me. Even in my LS @ 2000-2500K.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:39 AM
BonzoAPD

why are you letting the rpm's fall? What is your logic behind that?
Old 03-04-2003, 05:57 AM
ur31337
Colby

I was wondering that too. I would think it's easier to launch off a rev that's climbing, not falling.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:07 AM
BonzoAPD

Originally posted by ur31337
I was wondering that too. I would think it's easier to launch off a rev that's climbing, not falling.
exactly, he is moving out of the power band by lowering the rpms, as well as wasting time since he must be leaving his foot off the gas long enough for the rpm's to drop like that.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:07 AM
eclipse spanker

Well I figure it like this......as the you climb through the GS-R's gears, the ratios become more and more responsive ( up until about 3rd, and then 4rth and 5th are pretty much the same). So instead of just using the GS-R's 2 best gears (2 and 3) in the last 2500rpms of the tach, I figure taking full advatage of them will yield the best results; dropping to 3300 from 1rst to 2nd, and then dropping to 4500, the beginning of the vtec engagement, from 2nd to 3rd. Of course the drop has to be balanced, so you dont lose too much time switching. Either way, each time you are only dropping roughly around 3k, which translates into, what, 2 tenths of a second ? The power you get from staying at the beginning of the power band and working it all the way through, will more than make up for the lost tenth of a second.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:11 AM
BonzoAPD

the reason why you would want it in higher rpm's is because you have more power. Those low rpm's you have little power. You said it yourself that you are losing time by letting the rpms drop. Your also losing time that it takes the rpms to build up. Try it by just running through the gears and not letting the rpm's drop. I think you will see a difference that you will like.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:12 AM
eclipse spanker

On my car, 3300 is the beginning of the powerband for 2nd gear ( before 3300, I basically have NO torque), and ~4k is the beginning of the powerband in 3rd gear. I also understand the tires making a very big difference. Mine are michelins that need to be replaced very soon. Im sure when I get the new tires, the launch sequence will have to be changed to compensate for the added grip.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:38 AM
BonzoAPD

yeah the michelins suck, they loose grip a lot.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:40 AM
ur31337
Colby

Yea, so all this analyzing and thinking is really all futile. Just replace the tires and launch the car like it's supposed to be launched.

You'll thank us later.