Notices

Launching a GS-R correctly.....

Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 AM
kidM0UA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ur31337
Just replace the tires and launch the car like it's supposed to be launched.

You'll thank us later.
:thumbup:
Old 03-04-2003, 08:01 AM
eclipse spanker

Originally posted by ur31337
Yea, so all this analyzing and thinking is really all futile. Just replace the tires and launch the car like it's supposed to be launched.

You'll thank us later.

You're right to a certain extent, I'm sure the tires will make a big difference. The fact still remains however, that the GS-R is a tricky car to launch correctly because of the sudden jump in power and torque that you have to play with. Where I live there isn't much respect for the GS-R's speed, and I always wondered why......Now I'm finally convinced that most people simply do not know how to launch it correctly.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:25 AM
TriDawg
Action Packed Snacks

Why would you not atleast run the car to its max HP which is at (7600 RPM's) Also being in a diffrent gear doesnt change where the power is in the range from 1rpm - 8000rpm's. Your still going to be getting your most power from the 7600 mark. Also by going up and past the 7600 mark to 8k when you shift your closer to that 7600 mark in the next gear. The goal is to go through all the gears as fast as possible. ( In straight line racing ) Your fooling your self by dropping rpms and trying to manipulate your car. It aint changing

-Tri
Old 03-04-2003, 09:02 AM
d3fiant

Default about gsr launch

Whats up ??

I've had my 2001 gsr for about 2 1/2 months. MY lauch is totally different than that. Right now i just got an intake, stock michelins and waiting for my turbo and just bout everything i need for turbo to come in about 3 months. See i launch at no more than about 2200 rpms , when i do that i get instant take off no no burnout what so ever, just a chirp, and shift at about 7100 in 1st then about 7800-7900 in 2nd, then 8,000 in 3rd. Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents, peace.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:31 AM
ur31337
Colby

Originally posted by eclipse spanker
You're right to a certain extent, I'm sure the tires will make a big difference. The fact still remains however, that the GS-R is a tricky car to launch correctly because of the sudden jump in power and torque that you have to play with. Where I live there isn't much respect for the GS-R's speed, and I always wondered why......Now I'm finally convinced that most people simply do not know how to launch it correctly.
Really man, you're making it out to be more trouble than it really is. Just take your time and practice, that's what's going to make a difference. There isn't such a huge jump in my experience, it's just about nailing the right drop point & finding out which clutching method workd for you.

Some people like to sidestep it, some people feather off of it, whatever works for them. I'd be willing to bet that the method heavily depends on the RPM you're launching at.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:22 AM
eclipse spanker

Default Re: about gsr launch

Originally posted by d3fiant
Whats up ??

I've had my 2001 gsr for about 2 1/2 months. MY lauch is totally different than that. Right now i just got an intake, stock michelins and waiting for my turbo and just bout everything i need for turbo to come in about 3 months. See i launch at no more than about 2200 rpms , when i do that i get instant take off no no burnout what so ever, just a chirp, and shift at about 7100 in 1st then about 7800-7900 in 2nd, then 8,000 in 3rd. Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents, peace.
you dont have any problems going to 7100 in 1rst gear ? dont you feel like the car is just making alot of noise ?

But anywayz thanks for your input guys. I'll go and try keepin the rpms up and see how that works. Now when I get that supercharger, it will be a whole different story......
Old 03-04-2003, 12:54 PM
red GS-R
shhhh...just be quiet.

shift at 8000, if you dont, you're going to fall out of the GSR's powerband. (which is from 6000-8000). all the power is made up there. i could beat you in a stock LS the way you're driving your GSR.

i shift at 8200, because the higher you go, the less your RPMs will drop when you shift. don't spin your tires on the launch, but launch the highest you can. 2800 or whatever you said you launched at is WAY too low for a GSR.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:45 PM
TonyT

You new GSR owners are launching and shifting your cars all WRONG!
To get the most effective lauch in a GSR you must launch above 3.5K rpms; either do a slip launch or drop the clutch while feathering the gas. Once your used to lauching at 3.5K rpms, try launching higher because it will be more effective. Ask all the guys who get 2.2xx 60ft times, they will all say that they launch at atleast 4k rpms. As far as shifting point in a GSR; in 1st gear you want to shift as close as possible to fuel cutoff(8200rpms) and shift quickly into 2nd gear, this will only allow the revs to drop to about 6krpms and will allow you to stay in the secondaries. New beginners will have a hard time staying in the 2nd gear secondaries after the 1st gear shift, this takes practice.
From then on just shift each gear at redline. THis is how you will get good times and beat the other guy.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:21 PM
B18C1TEG

YES you are launching all wrong. I hold it at about 4.5kand slip the clutch a little and ive pulled a few 2.2 60's on my bald michellens this way. I dont see how u just dont bogg like hell dumping it at 2.5k.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:29 PM
red GS-R
shhhh...just be quiet.

Originally posted by B18C1TEG
YES you are launching all wrong. I hold it at about 4.5kand slip the clutch a little and ive pulled a few 2.2 60's on my bald michellens this way. I dont see how u just dont bogg like hell dumping it at 2.5k.
exactly.