Notices

Launching a GS-R correctly.....

Old 03-06-2003, 09:52 AM
canuck-mx6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TonyT
Nope, your wrong bro. G3 GSRs redline at 8100 and fuel cutoff is at 8200. Look at your tach, the marker at 8000rpms is white and turns red at 8100rpm indicating redline. Go look at your tach carefully if you don't believe me. I'm absolutely positive of this!
I don't have to look at the tach, go look at the helms manual. If you would like a page number, I will give you the exact page when I get home

And back to the topic, the best way is to launch at 3500 to 4500, modulate the gas, and slip the clutch a little so as to eliminate wheelspin. Shift at redline so that your revs fall back into the powerband sweetspot
Old 03-06-2003, 11:29 AM
eclipse spanker

OK...I always looked at the entire rpm thing from a "TIME" point of view, meaning the more time that you spend in the power band, the farther down the track/street you'll be at any given time. But what from what you guys are saying, maximizing your time in the power band doesn't matter, its just a matter of going through the gears as fast as possible, while keeping it as close to redline as possible, right ?
Old 03-06-2003, 11:31 AM
canuck-mx6

By shifting at redline and going through the gears, you will be staying in the powerband......
hence you will be further down the road
Old 03-06-2003, 11:49 AM
pomansouth

what you are saying is only true with a turboed car. or so i think.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:37 AM
airwurthy-gsr

Originally posted by B18C1TEG
YES you are launching all wrong. I hold it at about 4.5kand slip the clutch a little and ive pulled a few 2.2 60's on my bald michellens this way. I dont see how u just dont bogg like hell dumping it at 2.5k.

When you say "slip the clutch a little", what exactly do you mean? And how is that different from feathering the clutch a little? Letting off w/o tire spin or dropping RPM's? BTW, I'm pretty sure I know what bogging is, I'd have to say I'm a very accomplished Bogger, I can bog on freeway entrance ramps, and parking lot speed bumps.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:43 PM
alnen

Hey guys,
sorry to bring back a semi-old topic, but I need some help. I am VERY new to driving a stick (just got my Gizzer a few weeks ago) and so I still suck. I don't understand terms like feathering the gas, or slipping the clutch, I am such a newbie to manual cars! Anyway, I understand everything I need to do after the launch just perfectly, it's just the launch I need help with. I own a G2 GSR so you know, it has AEM CAI and some aftermarket crappo exhaust the guy before me put on, as well as some nice tires. Anyway, the other day, I was taking my friend for a spin, and he commented on me "dumping" the clutch. What I did was rev to 4k, and just totally let the clutch go. On that launch, my tires spun and when they caught the road it slowed me down. So I know that is too high for dumping the clutch. My friend said that I should never dump the clutch because the tranny will just fall out of the bottom of my car if I do it. So I want to be somewhat gentle and definitely safe on my tranny when I do this, so what do I do??? Please describe this in detail to me, I don't want to damage my transmission!!!
Old 04-05-2003, 10:58 PM
STEALTH_GSR

I hav'nt read the whole thread but I'll say what I think...

I think he's droping the car into a non-vtec zone, and while engaging vtec makes the car FEEL faster, but yet it is'nt and it makes him think this is the way to go fast. The only way to find out is to go to a 1/4 mile track and see your numbers. When my bro tuned his vtec and made it so he lands back in vtec with every shift, the car was actually much faster ( we tested it at the 1/4 track). Get toyo proxes RA1, these tires are very special, why? the more they get worn out, the better they grip. I have a set with alsmost full thread on mine and they're great. My dad has a set shaved on his SCCA built CRX and they're even better shaved. Trust me, tis is the tire, just make sure you get 14" rims
Old 04-06-2003, 07:09 PM
alnen

I NEED AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION PLEASE!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:44 AM
sQwiReL bOi

launch at 3k and make ur way up to 4.5k. see which launch u like the best out of all the launches u have done. its all practice... there is no exact rpm to launch in any car... its up to the driver. every car has a different set up so ur launch mite be at idle or at 6k... its all up u.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:19 AM
v-teg01
Candy

I have a quick question. i have 17" rota attacks (seen in the picture) and i would like to race in them but i dont want to get that bouncing affect when i launch. If u know what i mean. There sitting on kumos, supras. My car is a 2001 gsr so i agree with the whole 8100 is the redline thang. But anyway back to launching i just want a quickier launch then what i am doing now. What will be a for sure, nice, clean, no jumping of the tires launch. And with the setup of tires and rims i have, its always in the back of my head that i dont want to **** them up.
So if anyone could help? please do