Notices

Launching a GS-R correctly.....

Old 04-07-2003, 01:22 PM
alnen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sQwiReL bOi
launch at 3k and make ur way up to 4.5k. see which launch u like the best out of all the launches u have done. its all practice... there is no exact rpm to launch in any car... its up to the driver. every car has a different set up so ur launch mite be at idle or at 6k... its all up u.
OK thanks, by launch do you just mean dump the clutch? That is what I am mainly trying to figure out. I don't want to destroy my tranny if there is another way to launch good beside popping the clutch. Also, for daily driving, does it matter how fast you push IN the clutch when changing gears or coming to a stop???
Old 06-06-2003, 04:37 PM
ntegravtec
PENGUIN!

Originally posted by ur31337
Yea, so all this analyzing and thinking is really all futile. Just replace the tires and launch the car like it's supposed to be launched.

You'll thank us later.
:werd:
Old 06-06-2003, 05:49 PM
XSrcing

Originally posted by eclipse spanker
OK...I always looked at the entire rpm thing from a "TIME" point of view, meaning the more time that you spend in the power band, the farther down the track/street you'll be at any given time. But what from what you guys are saying, maximizing your time in the power band doesn't matter, its just a matter of going through the gears as fast as possible, while keeping it as close to redline as possible, right ?
i can keep my gs-r in the powerband all day long, but i wont be accelerating at all. the faster you get through all the gears(while taking them to redline) the faster you will go.

Originally posted by alnen
Hey guys,
sorry to bring back a semi-old topic, but I need some help. I am VERY new to driving a stick (just got my Gizzer a few weeks ago) and so I still suck. I don't understand terms like feathering the gas, or slipping the clutch, I am such a newbie to manual cars! Anyway, I understand everything I need to do after the launch just perfectly, it's just the launch I need help with. I own a G2 GSR so you know, it has AEM CAI and some aftermarket crappo exhaust the guy before me put on, as well as some nice tires. Anyway, the other day, I was taking my friend for a spin, and he commented on me "dumping" the clutch. What I did was rev to 4k, and just totally let the clutch go. On that launch, my tires spun and when they caught the road it slowed me down. So I know that is too high for dumping the clutch. My friend said that I should never dump the clutch because the tranny will just fall out of the bottom of my car if I do it. So I want to be somewhat gentle and definitely safe on my tranny when I do this, so what do I do??? Please describe this in detail to me, I don't want to damage my transmission!!!
feathering/ slipping the gas or clutch just means modulating them so you get minimal wheel spin. when you launch, dont just dump the clutch and mash the gas. puch the gas is relatively slowly while using the clutch to keep the tires from slipping. dumping the clutch is just a way to make smoke.