Notices

Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners

Old 11-02-2002, 12:31 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners

Hey there,

Anyone on this board running a vortech supercharger on their integra? I am highly considering getting this kit as my big "power mod". I'm interested in the numbers you're putting down as well as the times you're running, plus any issues regarding daily use.

Oh, and I am well aware honda-tuning ran a 14.9 w/their vortech gsr, and I am also aware 99% of the people on this board (and h-t) are anti-vortech, but I am considering getting it for a number of reasons. If there are excessive flames I'll type out my reasons but I just want a general discussion on integra owners' experiences w/vortech. A friendly discussion .

Thanks...

Shingo
Old 11-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Etylorcen
Turbo Mafia Soldier

Well I dont know you're reasons but I've never EVER seen a fast vortech b series motor. IMHO just go with a turbo. I couldn't be happier. <--- see thats me with a turbo.
:bowdown: to the turbo gods for they are beckoning you!
Old 11-02-2002, 12:46 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

I would go turbo in an instant but:

1) I already spent big bucks on a Comptech I/H/E setup.

2) This car is a daily driver + I'm no mechanic = I want a bolt-on mod that can be tuned and largely left alone for the most part.

3) I would go down the JRSC path if this was two years ago, but the fact that the vortech is relatively new makes it exciting, and I was interested in hearing feedback from the Vortech owners. I know exactly what a JRSC gsr can do; but it doesn't seem like the potential of the vortech has been reached yet (hence making it a little more exciting). This line of reasoning is borderline riceboy but hey what can you say.

4) I prefer pricey track days over grassroots autocrossing so having most of my power north of 6K rpms isn't necessarily horrible.

5) I am a riceboy and I want the Vortech blow-off valve h:

I am a bit concerned about the lag of the vortech; I'll definitely want to go for a ride in a car equipped with one before making my decision.

Shingo
Old 11-02-2002, 02:18 PM
qtiger

With either system you'll be looking at throwing your i/h/e out the window.

You might consider all motor as a good avenue of continued buildup. It would fulfill all of your requirements except #5.

With a Jun2 intake cam and ITR exhaust cam, you'll make excellent midrange power, or you could go with a pair of Jun3s or Skunk2 stage 2s for that top end power.

In fact, for the price of a Vortech & required accessories, you could put down better times with all motor mods. But the real question is: What do you want your car to do?
Old 11-02-2002, 03:55 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by qtiger
With either system you'll be looking at throwing your i/h/e out the window.

You might consider all motor as a good avenue of continued buildup. It would fulfill all of your requirements except #5.

With a Jun2 intake cam and ITR exhaust cam, you'll make excellent midrange power, or you could go with a pair of Jun3s or Skunk2 stage 2s for that top end power.
Hi qtiger,

Thanks for the reply. When I first considered modifying my car, I had considered JUN 3s, then decided too many things could go wrong and opted for a CTR intake cam + ITR exhaust cam. However, my car is a hardc0 daily driver so I was a bit iffy about having to open up the engine. I'd prefer to keep the internals stock. If my car wasn't daily driven I would do a pricey all-out all-motor build-up with JUN 3s.

With either unit I'm aware I could make more power with 2.5" piping ex. such as changing out the comptech header for a kamikazi type; however I'm not looking to break 1/4 mile records. All I want is some reliable and fairly maintenance-free power, and I think supercharging would be less of a headache for an incompetent mechanic such as I. I mentioned the top-end power as a justification for choosing the vortech over the JRSC.

Btw, I remember you from the old skool days of HAN/off-topic. You still post on off-topic.net? If I recall correctly you had a tiger as your avatar hehe.

Thanks again...

Shingo

ps. I have yet to find a Vortech owner on one of these boards..guess I'll have to keep trying
Old 11-02-2002, 06:36 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
Thanks for the reply. When I first considered modifying my car, I had considered JUN 3s, then decided too many things could go wrong and opted for a CTR intake cam + ITR exhaust cam. However, my car is a hardc0 daily driver so I was a bit iffy about having to open up the engine. I'd prefer to keep the internals stock. If my car wasn't daily driven I would do a pricey all-out all-motor build-up with JUN 3s.

Btw, I remember you from the old skool days of HAN/off-topic. You still post on off-topic.net? If I recall correctly you had a tiger as your avatar hehe.
Well, with a light to moderate NA buildup, you can expect your car to stay just as reliable and gas mileage friendly. You really only see reliability issues with a select few cams (Toda Bs eat rockers for breakfast) and with some aftermarket forged pistons.

Then again, I'm an NA guy at heart.

Old 11-03-2002, 12:15 AM
crash

is there going to be a procharger coming out for the integras?
im thinking of the vortech as well
Old 11-03-2002, 12:35 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

1) You can sell your Comptech stuff.

2) The Vortech kit is no more of a bolt on solution than a turbo kit. Either way you're adding a compressor and using a boost-dependent FPR to richen up the mixture. In either situation the way to get it truly reliable is to get a Hondata or AEM EMS and have a shop tune it on a dyno.

3) Stick to what works, doing something for the props or because it's "unique" is more than borderline riceboy.

4) The Vortech kit has no intercooler, be prepared for heat soak on your pricey track days.

5) There are plenty of spiffy Japanese BOVs out there that make even weirder noises than the Vortech one. But hey if you want a Vortech it'll still work with a turbo.

Keep in mind that the Vortech GSR kit costs the same as an intercooled turbo kit from RevHard or Drag. No matter which way you go the most you get as far as fuel management is a boost-dependent FPR so any cost associated with Hondata, bigger injectors or whatever is the same.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:00 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Hrm...

I've cross posted this on h-t and I have yet to come across any integra vortech owner...

I had tried to carefully word my post to avoid excessive flamerage by specifically you MrFatbooty, heheh. You're one of the most knowledgeable guys posting on this forum so I'm not even going to dare to dispute anything you said. I guess I failed to veil my true riceboy intentions. But let me see if I can explain myself so I don't look like a total fool.

1) Selling my comptech stuff would most certainly result in lost $$$, and considering I bought this stuff less than 3 months ago it would most certainly seem like a waste. You can call it poor planning but hey this car is daily driven and I don't have extensive plans for it.

2) If I do plan to go vortech (or N/A for that matter) I would definitely get the AEM EMS system and tune it on a dyno. However, my mindset is once I'm done with the tuning, I want to be able to leave it be for the most part. I can't afford to worry about doing valve adjustments every 5K or so miles/change the oil every 1K miles/worry about turbo timers blah blah blah.

3) Hahah...maybe I should let this be...but the alarmingly high number of people I've seen sell their JRSC systems made me want to take a "chance" with this new vortech system.

4) Heatsoak is an even bigger issue with the JRSC (right?); I was hoping an aftercooler would come out for the gsr kit but I am investigating the possibility of fabricating the version for the civic si to work for an integra. The vortech system is supposedly carb legal, whereas with a greddy turbo I would not be able to use the intercooler period. (CA emissions laws)

5) I guess I was comparing the vortech to the JRSC on this one.

To give you an idea of how "daily drive" this beast is last summer it was beaten 120+ miles per day just for me to go to work. When I graduate college next year I *should* have the correct cash flow to get a car to play around with, and will be using this car to and from work.

Thanks for the responses. Is there a mod policy on locking discussions that go on and on and on...I'd like to keep this topic open for awhile.

Shingo

ps. What happened to the afr0 racing crew?
Old 11-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Etylorcen
Turbo Mafia Soldier

Even if you want to supercharge so you dont feel like you wasted your money on the h/e they are not fit for an FI application anyhow. They are designed for a NA application. With a supercharged set up you want a header with short primaries and a larger exhaust than the comptech.
Honestly if you do choose turbo and go with the greddy turbo people with the ic and bov mods always pass smog. They just show their carb papers and thats it. At least from the experiences of people I know. Most likely the people you know that have sold their jrsc did it to get a turbo or just to get out of the game. I doubt any resonable person has sold their jrsc for a vortech. You shouldn't have problems daily driving with a well tuned car. The rumors about supercharging being more reliable than turbo is just plain bull****. Boost is boost.

Quick Reply: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners