Notices

Shmoo's GSR Engine Build: Operation 400whp not 56k friendly

Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shmoo's GSR Engine Build: Operation 400whp not 56k friendly

Engine Build:

I am an addict of many things. Boost has become one of them, so I decided to build a shortblock GSR motor to handle a tad more boost safely. My current engine has 160k miles on it and is completely bone stock except for headstuds and CTR cams, so it is essentially a ticking timebomb with 10 lbs of boost being run through it daily. I plan to build this block and then swap it out over a weekend.

I am still a bit unsure as to exactly what brand internals I want, but overall I am keeping it very simple and this is what I am going to do:

-.020" overbore, hone, and resurfacing of the deck surface
-9.0:1 81.5mm Wiseco pistons
-Eagle rods
-OEM Honda bearings
-OEM headgasket
-Plugged oil jets
-Supertech valvesprings and aluminum retainers with 10 degree lockers

I wanted to do a 10:1 compression motor but 91 octane and 4500 feet elevation will make that very challenging to tune, so 9:1 it is.

Any recommendations on places to find these parts cheap would be highly appreciated. I am still looking for pistons/rods.

So I purchased the short block a couple weeks ago and just mounted it to the engine stand tonight. Here are some pictures.

Here is the block as it came to me, ready to be mounted on an engine stand:

Here is it mounted on the engine stand:

New turbo setup:

A little turbo like the one I have is a waste on a built engine, so I need to upgrade my manifold, turbo, downpipe, oil lines, and injectors.

-GT3255E
-SLS shorty manifold
-3" dp straight piped to 3" catback/open dumptube dumped under the oil pan
-Tial 38mm wastegate
-880cc Precision injectors
-Neptune RTP

I want Servion in Colorado Springs to tune it in the spring.

I would love to hear some feedback.

Last edited by Provocateur; 10-03-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Did you ever fix the problem you had with the head? Wasn't it warped or some shit? I can't quite remember...

So good luck with the build. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but then again I'll be 30 next year. Your still a young single lad and can fuck with this stuff.

I think if it were not for you doing all the work it could become quite costly.

www.speed-garage.com may be a good place to pick up some internals. They may put together a package deal for you as well. Ask for Uriah, if he still owns the joint he is the one to talk to. Just tell him some guy named Ron who use to be in the Army who purchased a zc and b16a motor referred you. It has been a few yrs. that may ring a bell.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by ADRONICUS
Did you ever fix the problem you had with the head? Wasn't it warped or some shit? I can't quite remember...

So good luck with the build. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but then again I'll be 30 next year. Your still a young single lad and can fuck with this stuff.

I think if it were not for you doing all the work it could become quite costly.

www.speed-garage.com may be a good place to pick up some internals. They may put together a package deal for you as well. Ask for Uriah, if he still owns the joint he is the one to talk to. Just tell him some guy named Ron who use to be in the Army who purchased a zc and b16a motor referred you. It has been a few yrs. that may ring a bell.
No, still the same problem with a small oil leak in between the head and block. The head was resurfaced and hot tanked, so the only conclusion I can come to is a warped block deck. That will be remedied with the new block since it will be resurfaced.

I have estimated the cost of the engine build at around $1800 after everything is said and done. The turbo setup I am looking at will easily exceed that price. It will be over a larger time frame, so I am not really worried about the cost. After the engine is built, I will just max out what I have and save for the turbo setup. I could probably squeeze 320+ whp out of the 18G.

I'll have to give those guys a call since I didn't see anything on their website regarding pistons/rods. Too bad I am not in California anymore since they are literally right up the street from where I used to live.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to boost, so here are my first questions:

How did you decide that you needed 780cc injectors for your build?

And, don't you need to strengthen the valvetrain to handle the added boost?

Awesome project, I will be following it closely. Right now, I wouldn't even consider boost for my GSR, and its just a weekend car.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Provocateur
No, still the same problem with a small oil leak in between the head and block. The head was resurfaced and hot tanked, so the only conclusion I can come to is a warped block deck. That will be remedied with the new block since it will be resurfaced.

I have estimated the cost of the engine build at around $1800 after everything is said and done. The turbo setup I am looking at will easily exceed that price. It will be over a larger time frame, so I am not really worried about the cost. After the engine is built, I will just max out what I have and save for the turbo setup. I could probably squeeze 320+ whp out of the 18G.

I'll have to give those guys a call since I didn't see anything on their website regarding pistons/rods. Too bad I am not in California anymore since they are literally right up the street from where I used to live.
You never knew they were down here near us? Dude, you should have seen...when they use to have a work bay down on via fabricante, dude was swapping prelude engines into CRX's and it looked so clean and properly installed. They did good work. Not sure what happened, but they were shut down on the labor end of things, but they still do sales, so good luck w/that.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by jesusublime99
I'm new to boost, so here are my first questions:

How did you decide that you needed 780cc injectors for your build?

And, don't you need to strengthen the valvetrain to handle the added boost?

Awesome project, I will be following it closely. Right now, I wouldn't even consider boost for my GSR, and its just a weekend car.
750's will make 400 whp without too lumpy of an idle. I don't want RC injectors, though and Precision makes them in 780cc.

Thanks for reminding me about the valvetrain. The only thing I am going to do to the head is swap out the valvesprings mainly for piece of mind while running CTR cams.

Originally Posted by ADRONICUS
You never knew they were down here near us?
Nope
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
FooD2000
Still Water

Your not going to sleeve it?
Eagle rods from Tunertoys for $319.
They also have their "tunertoys" rods as well that they are promoting that they are good up to 600-700hp. $250 (although i've never heard anything about them).
http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/category/...ingrods.eagle/
Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 AM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

LOL yea you've talked about 400whp for a while, glad to see you going through with it. Looks like it's gonna be an awesome build.

Definately use this as one of my references when I turbo my gsr in a yr or two.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

Make sure to keep us updated Steve.

My GSR is sitting at 150k and I would love to add some boost after a fresh rebuild.

BTW, This thread should be a sticky.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

On my build right now i am gonna with a gsr block bored to 84.5mm I'm going to be using Weisco 9.0:1 Pistons with eagle rods ( off ebay for 750 shipped) Type R crank. Moroso Oil pan with pick up and studs. I still have to find out if I'm gonna use a GSR head or a B16. If i was you i would get it sleeved (about 1k) that will make it so that it have all the reliability and strength that you would need/want. It will give u some peace of mind. I need to start a thread of my build soon.. Keep us updated.