Notices

Inboard CV joint play

Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 PM
WhiteGhost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inboard CV joint play

Last night while I was under the car to change the oil, I was inspecting the CV joints and found that the passanger side inboard joint has a noticable play. It was also leaking some oil down on the transmission casing. Still no noise while I'm driving though. Anyhow, I guess I have to replace the whole axle instead of just replacing the boots, right?

Also, how much whp will the OEM axels hold?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

As long as the car isn't shaking during acceleration, the joints are fine. If it is flinging grease, all you need to do is replace the boot. Here is my writeup for doing that.

As long as the drivetrain is properly preloaded before a launch, the stock axles should hold a good amount of power. How much power are you looking to throw at it?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:57 PM
WhiteGhost

Thanks Provocateur for the DIY about axle boot. I have to say it's one of the best DIY.

I have a 94 LS and I'm planning to boost it soon in the summer, but as I have 145k Miles I'm only looking for 200-220whp. So, would the stock axles hold that amount of power?

Last edited by WhiteGhost; 04-21-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by WhiteGhost
Thanks Provocateur for the DIY about axle boot. I have to say it's one of the best DIY.

I have a 94 LS and I'm planning to boost it soon in the summer, but as I have 145k Miles I'm only looking for 200-220whp. So, would the stock axles hold that amount of power?
Thanks.

That much power should be fine as long as the drivetrain is preloaded upon launch like I stated earlier. What I mean by preloading is holding the ebrake up, revving the motor to desired launching rpm, releasing the clutch right to the point where there is some resistance against the brakes. When the light turns green, release the ebrake, feather the clutch and go. What this does is puts some load on the entire drivetrain, so it can absorb some of the launch.

I wouldn't run that much power on slicks and stock axles, though.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:08 PM
WhiteGhost

Thanks for the tip Provocateur! I had no clue before on how to preload the drivetrain. I guess I learned something new today!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
dubcac
I

Stock axles are fine for that amount of power. If you had a really harsh clutch and slicks, you might have problems.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 PM
WhiteGhost

Right now I have the 4 puck clutch, which sucks for DD. Anyways, I will have to replace it soon with full face.