Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY Axle Boot Replacement (Lots of pictures)

Old 04-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Axle Boot Replacement (Lots of pictures)

Background:

The main focus of this walkthrough is to show that it is much better and cheaper to replace the boot on a good axle instead of going to Autozone, handing over your good axles, and getting a pair of shit axles in return. The main problem with all remanufactured axles is the CV joints. They typically will not even check the CV joints and just slap another set of fresh boots on and resell them to the uninformed consumer. You have been warned…remanufactured axles are garbage.

I have been through 4 sets of axles since I purchased my car almost 3 years ago. After replacing each shit set with another shit set from Autozone for several pairs of axles, I couldn't take it anymore, so I bent over and bought a pair of Gator Stage 2 racing axles for $450. About 6 months ago, I noticed a nice pinhole leak out of the outboard boot of my passenger axle. Since I can't replace these axles, I have to replace the boot. This walkthrough shows my struggle to replace the boot and hopefully, in turn, it will show you the proper way to do it.

This was all done on my 96 Integra GSR. If you don’t own an Integra, you may have to modify some steps to do this correctly.

What you will need:

--Floor jack
--Jackstands
--Breaker bar (bigger the better)
--32mm socket
--BFH (Big Fucking Hammer)
--3/8" socket wrench
--14 and 17mm sockets
--Tiny and large flathead screwdriver
--17mm box wrench
--Snap ring pliers
--Boot band pliers (available at any autoparts store)
--Dikes
--CV Boot kit from Acura/Honda (should come with 2 bands, boot, new axle nut, and new axle set ring)
--2 additional CV boot bands (only if you are replacing the outboard boot)
--Another package of grease (only if you are replacing the outboard boot)
--Medium cotter pin
--A 6 pack of beer :cheers:

Click here for part numbers

Let’s get started:

First step is to find a good place to work. You will want a workbench to do the axle disassembly and a nice flat place to remove and reinstall the axle. With a view like this out my driveway, you won’t hear any complaints from me.

The next step is to lay out all the tools you will need. I am missing a few that I realized I needed later in the project. Just use the above checklist and not the picture for reference on what you will need for the project.

You now need to break your lug nuts loose so that you can remove them when the car is lifted in the air.

Place the jack under the front jacking point and start jacking the car up.

For your safety, make sure you securely place your jackstands under the passenger and driver support point anytime you will be working underneath the car. In this case, you will briefly be underneath the car.

Remove the wheel. It will look like this:

Now, have someone stand on the brakes while you work your magic with your 32mm socket and breaker bar on the axle nut. If you don’t have anyone to help you by standing on the brakes, take your big screwdriver and lodge it between the ventilation vanes in between the rotor (I highly recommend against this and am not liable in any way for any resulting damages to your rotor). If you are having trouble getting it off, maybe you should be spending more time at the gym. Mine came off with just a quick hop on the 24” breaker bar. h:

When you finally get it off, it should look like this. If it doesn’t, stick a longer piece of pipe on the end of the breaker bar for more leverage. If your weak ass still can’t get it off, take your car to a shop and see if they can buzz it off with power tools.

The next step is to remove the castle nut from the lower ball joint. I have circled it for your convenience. You need to remove the cotter pin with your dikes and then get the castle nut off with your 17mm socket wrench.

Once you have the castle nut off, you need to find some way to separate the ball joint from the hub. There are three methods: the shitty way, the proper way, and Steve’s easy as fuck method.

The shitty way is to take a pickle fork that you can find at any local auto parts store and jam it between the hub and ball joint and then hit it with your BFH. This method will most likely sever the boot and you will probably have to replace the ball joint in the very near future. I don’t recommend you go this method unless you are weak and can’t use my other great methods.

The proper way is to take your BFH and whack at the little nub above the castle nut, which I circled in yellow below. If you are having trouble getting it to separate, try lifting the hub with your floor jack and whacking on the nub some more. It should come if you are persistent enough.

Here is a handy trick. You need to have a 1/2" drive old-school craftsman wrench (the one with the rectangular handle) to do this properly. Firstly, jack up the entire suspension assembly as far as it can go. Then, insert your wrench like shown in the picture.

Then, lower the jack and viola…the ball joint should pop out….at least mine did. 

You should now be able to remove the axle from the hub. You may need a punch to hammer it out, but it will come out and the hub will just hang there.

Now, you need to remove the shock support. Take your 17mm socket and 17mm box wrench and make quick work of the circled bolt.

Then, you need to take your 14mm socket and remove the pinch bolt in the back to pull the entire support off and out of the way.

Now that the axle is only held in at the transmission, you can rest it on top of the brake hub while you drink a beer.

To get the axle out of the transmission, you need to use your large screwdriver or a small crowbar to pry on it. If you are removing the drivers side axle, there will be a separation between the intermediate shaft bearing and the inboard joint that will allow you to either hit the inboard joint with a hammer or use something to pry the axle from the intermediate shaft.

<<I will try to get pics of the drivers side>>

When it separates, it will look like this and you can finally stop cussing at the bastard.

Pull the axle out of the transmission and remove from car completely. This what it looks like:

And here is the reason I am going through this ordeal:

Now take your axle and place it on your workbench. Also make sure the boot you are replacing matches the new boot you are going to replace it with.

Take your small screwdriver and bend up the tabs holding the boot bands securely. If you are just replacing the inboard boot, you only need to do this to the two boot bands holding down that boot. If you are doing the outboard or both boots, you need to bend the tabs up on all four boot bands.

Now that the tabs are bent up, you can flatten out the band and pull it through to remove it.

Now, you can remove all the boot bands you need and it should look like the picture below. I suggest you put on a set of gloves for this next part…it is going to get very messy.

Now for the messy part. Make sure you put a shop towel or a few layers of paper towel underneath each joint as you will have about 80 grams of grease come out when the boot is removed. Separate the outboard boot (only if you are replacing both or the outboard boot) from the joint.

If you take a look at the way the joint is built, you will realize that it isn’t going anywhere. The only way to remove the boot and replace it is to remove everything on the inboard side. Needless to say, start by separating the inboard boot from the joint

This joint will come completely out and you will be looking at the joint assembly. This consists of three ball bearing looking rollers connected to a three prong holder called a spider connected to the axle shaft. The rollers will come right off. Make sure you keep these safe from harm…new CV joints aren’t cheap. In the picture below, you will see what the spider looks like.

To remove the spider, you need to remove the snap ring holding it down. Do this and the spider should slide right off the shaft.

Now, you are left with a much stronger snap ring that must be removed in order to remove either the inboard boot or both boots. Remove it.

Now you can slide the boot(s) off and it will look like this:

Slide the new boot on and squeeze all of the grease supplied with it into the boot. The outboard joint takes 90-100 g of grease.

After the joint is packed with grease, you can slide the boot over it. To attach the bands, loop the end through the hole and attach it to your boot band pliers. Mine fed through a cutter and then fed into a crank that tightened the band. After it was sufficiently tight, one quick flip of the handle and it was cut. Fold it over and secure it with the locking tabs, if applicable.

Now, slide the inboard boot over the shaft and reassemble the spider assembly exactly how it was disassembled.

The inboard joint only slides in one way. Make sure it is correct before continuing. Once you have confirmed it is correct, load that joint with grease (the inboard joint takes 120-130 g of grease) and slide the boot over it. Repeat the boot band process with this side. Clean up your axle and workplace and you have successfully replaced your CV boot(s).

To reinstall it on the car, it is the reverse order of removal.

Torque specs:

Axle nut: 134 ft/lbs (use the new supplied axle nut and make sure you stake it against the axle with a punch and hammer)
14mm pinch bolt: 32 ft/lbs (should be tightened with the suspension preloaded)
17mm lower control arm bolt/nut: 47 ft/lbs (should be tightened with the suspension preloaded)
Ball joint castle nut: 36-43 ft/lbs and replace the cotter pin with a fresh one.
Lug nuts: 80 ft/lbs

If you need any clarification or have further questions, let me know and I will update the DIY as necessary.

Last edited by Provocateur; 03-14-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
1turbodc2
got boost?

that is one awsome DIY great job Steve!!! i am sure this will help out a lot of people!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

WOW! great job on the DIY. this is great info.

...so how dirty is your camera now?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by jdmeg6hatchy
WOW! great job on the DIY. this is great info.

...so how dirty is your camera now?
Thanks.

I got all the grease off, but I think it will remain greasy for the rest of its life. Fortunately, it isn't that great of a camera and is easily replaceable.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM
pnthr30

Nice write up, thanks!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Good write up for sure. And I agree w/rebuilds from autozone being shit hole buys. But what about factory re-man? I bought some of those for my old Integra and they worked great. Came in the air sucked packing and everything.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by centerforce99
Good write up for sure. And I agree w/rebuilds from autozone being shit hole buys. But what about factory re-man? I bought some of those for my old Integra and they worked great. Came in the air sucked packing and everything.
Anything remanufactured isn't going to be as good as brand new but Acura offers some decent remanufactured axles. They are one of the best alternatives to replace stock axles with assuming that is what is required to fix the problem. I don't know how much they usually cost, so I couldn't tell you if they were a cost effective replacement.

In this case, replacing the axle is obviously overkill. Even if I were replacing the axles with autozone axles, I just saved $50 and still had a good axle.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Provocateur
Anything remanufactured isn't going to be as good as brand new but Acura offers some decent remanufactured axles. They are one of the best alternatives to replace stock axles with assuming that is what is required to fix the problem. I don't know how much they usually cost, so I couldn't tell you if they were a cost effective replacement.

In this case, replacing the axle is obviously overkill. Even if I were replacing the axles with autozone axles, I just saved $50 and still had a good axle.
If my memory serves me correctly, the factory re-mans. were about 100-125 bucks a piece. I want to say $125.00.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
tuchinitomiguel

wow man!!! ns DIY
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
12yearhondatech

Default axle boot replacement

I agree nice write up. But you dont have to remove the inboard cv. All you need to do is remove the outboard boot and tap the outboard cv with a brass hammer and the joint will come off.