Notices

95dB ticket anyone (Ca)?

Old 07-27-2006, 07:23 AM
fastback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95dB ticket anyone (Ca)?

I was coming around a corner on the throttle and right there is a cop who looks to have just finished writing a ticket. He looks up and pulls out and then I see him going into the turn lane, but staying behind me, so I know he is coming for me. Pulls me over and goes through the whole dance "Could you get out and open your hood..." Now, I know DC says all late model exhausts should pass 95dB limit test, but I don't know. I still have the stock, so I may swap it on to get the ticket signed off.

Has anyone else gotten one? Did you fight it? Anyone gone to the ref to have it tested? I've read about a few guys getting tested, but no specific info, though they say they passed.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I almost got one twice. I was pulled over and warned, but never cited. California sucks.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Ask the cop to pull out his DBCT or DB Confirmation Tool. If he does not have one then you may ask him how he is so sure that your exhaust exceeds that noise level. Take your receipt and print out to court to fight it. The ticket is not appropriate if you were within parameters. The cop obviously thinks he can measure decibels like the Terminator.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
fastback

Just like everything else, basically they can pull you over for pretty much anything. The exhaust gave him an excuse to look for other things, and when he didn't find anything else, he gave me the 95dB ticket. It is the same thing as "officer's discression" - if he says it is loud, they can pull you over - he doesn't need proof that it was over 95dB. I wanted to ask him to tell me exactly what dB my exhaust is putting out from me driving by, according to his ears but I wasn't going to argue with him about it.

Anyway, someone told me who to call and I got an appointment with the ref to have it tested (just happens to be a few miles away from my work here). If it doesn't pass, I will swap the stock back on and get it signed off.

Last edited by fastback; 07-27-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:02 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend got one for his STi. it was catless, he's lucky he didnt get it impounded.

all he did was put the rear section back on one of the hangers, took a picture and brought in a picture of a stock STi. "it's stock" it took all of 20 minutes to take it down take a pictur and then put it back on.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 of my friends have gone through this process. They put on their silencers just to make sure and they both passed the test. They took the signed off ticket to court and paid $10. Now, here's the good part, whenever they get pulled over for the exhaust, they show the ticket they received previuosly as being approved for complying with the CA DB limit and have not been cited since(and they've been pulled over at least 2 times since).

The phone number to schedule a DB test when you get a ticket for exhaust, in CA, is:
(800)622-7733

Last edited by jesusublime99; 07-27-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
dubcac
I

Originally Posted by centerforce99
Ask the cop to pull out his DBCT or DB Confirmation Tool. If he does not have one then you may ask him how he is so sure that your exhaust exceeds that noise level. Take your receipt and print out to court to fight it. The ticket is not appropriate if you were within parameters. The cop obviously thinks he can measure decibels like the Terminator.
That shit won't work. The officer isn't required to carry a dB tester with him. All he has to do is make a judgement that your exhaust could be too loud. At that point, it's up to YOU to go have it tested. If you fight it in court, you will lose if you haven't had it tested.

Originally Posted by sherwood
my friend got one for his STi. it was catless, he's lucky he didnt get it impounded.

all he did was put the rear section back on one of the hangers, took a picture and brought in a picture of a stock STi. "it's stock" it took all of 20 minutes to take it down take a pictur and then put it back on.
It's a little different here in CA.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by dubcac
That shit won't work. The officer isn't required to carry a dB tester with him. All he has to do is make a judgement that your exhaust could be too loud. At that point, it's up to YOU to go have it tested. If you fight it in court, you will lose if you haven't had it tested.

It's a little different here in CA.
Per my father in law who is a cop in Arcadia. Some jurisdications actually carry them. They even have devices that can measure a smog level as your getting on and off roadways, take a picture of you license plate and send you a notice advising of the level that was detected. Kind of courtesy to tell you to have your car looked at.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM
DezertMachine

Wierd...I have a straight exhaust and limo tinted windows, my car is dropped almost to the ground and I have a loud ass system and I have never gotten shit in this GREAT(ha!) state of california.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:40 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by centerforce99
Per my father in law who is a cop in Arcadia. Some jurisdications actually carry them. They even have devices that can measure a smog level as your getting on and off roadways, take a picture of you license plate and send you a notice advising of the level that was detected. Kind of courtesy to tell you to have your car looked at.
Thats news to me, very interesting.