Notices

Replacing Alternator on 89 Integra

Old 07-25-2005, 08:29 AM
kayshav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Alternator on 89 Integra

I need to replace the alternator on 89 Integra RS. By looking at the alternator from top and bottom, it doesn't appear to be easy to remove the bolts and ultimately take it out. The battery light and headlight symbol stayed on for 3 weeks and I ignored and finally the car refused to start. The alternator is generating < 6 volts.

I'm looking for guidance and tricks on folks who have done this before

1. Is it easier to get it out from the bottom? If so, in addition to the driver side tire, what else needs to be removed? Appreciate pointers on major steps

2. Is it feasible at all to remove it from the top?

3. Is it even worth doing it myself ( I do have lots of tools) and I have replaced shocks/strus, radiator, distributor etc before.

Thanks
-k
Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
honura
Seni

I would remove it from the bottom. You will have to remove the axel and then you will have all the space you need to work in there. Goodluck.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:56 PM
kayshav

Thanks honura. Couple of follow-on questions.

1. How difficult is it to remove the axel and put it back again?

2. Once the axel is removed and assembled again, does it need a wheel alignment?

-k
Old 07-25-2005, 06:07 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I used to have an 89 and I did about 3 times. Damn re-builds just were not working out of the box. Plus I had a bent bracket that kept bending and causing the belt to snap.
1. Undo what ever is in the way up top and un-do the alternator bracket and stabilization bolt to free up the belt get that and the power steering belt off by undoing the power steering line. Those 2 10 mm bolts. This will give you the space you need up top.
2. From underneath or on top un-plug it. From underneath fanagle the alternator left and right until you get an angle that allows it to drop out. It takes a few tries but it can be done without removing your tire or axle. There you go and reverse the steps. It's not hard.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:58 PM
foot

WHen it comes to component parts, just look it over. Then, start taking things apart. You'll figure it out and be proud and probably a little pissed at the same time. It feels good.