Notices

did i install the neuspeed koni sp3's correctly?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:53 AM
greengsr2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so im thinkin the rear be full stif because i dont want the bumpstops to wore out with too much rebounding, so i f i want less rebounding between the shocks
Old 04-01-2004, 09:59 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

First of all: I merged your thread into the other one you started on this topic.

Secondly, a bit of an explanation of what exactly "damping" is.

Basically, a shock's sole purpose is to limit the motion of the spring. You have two forms of motion: compression and rebound. Compression is, rather simplistically, when the suspension is compressed. This happens when the body leans onto a side in a turn, you hit a bump, whatever. During compression, the spring stores up energy. After this energy is stored, the spring releases it and forces the suspension back down, hence we have rebound.

Now, compression damping is the ability of the shock to resist compression of the spring. Effectively this limits the amount of energy that is transferred into the spring. Instead of all the energy of the suspension being compressed being stored by the spring, the shock absorbs some of it.

Rebound damping is the opposite. The spring releases the energy it has stored up which pushes the suspension back out. The rebound damping of the shock absorbs some of the energy that is being released so that less of the energy is used to push back down on the suspension.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:23 AM
greengsr2k

very confusing so im thinkin of adjust the rears close to full stiff, and fron close to full soft is that ok id ont get it
Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by WiLL
no you do not need a spring compressor. i suggest you make those dust boots fit. they are there for a reason.
Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
My Helms manual sure does think you need a spring compressor.
[/url]
Originally Posted by reno96teg
yes you do, unless you want to risk losing an eye or something. .

Originally Posted by greengsr2k
..... i had neuspeed race springs with stock shocks which sat low....
do i need a compressor i have neuspeed race springs, just replacing the shocks with koni yellows sp3's, please help guys

i assumed he still had the race springs on the stock shocks. in that case, he wouldnt need a compressor. :thinking:
Old 04-01-2004, 11:07 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

very confusing so im thinkin of adjust the rears close to full stiff, and fron close to full soft is that ok id ont get it
why don't you take the car for a drive and then determine the adjustments that need to be made?

for example, I usually drive around with all four shocks turned up a 1/4 turn from full soft. when I take the car to the track, I turn up the shocks quite a bit more. there is no one ideal setting for the shocks, adjust them to what is comfortable to you.