Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

oil in coolant...solved

Old 05-03-2003, 04:33 PM
coco8724

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in coolant...solved

Bear with Coco as he rambles and explains how a trusty small town mechanic..a lot of prayers....solved the "oil in coolant" problem.
...."no thanks" to the local Acura wiseguys who suggested a 5 grand rebuild because i lost two quarts of oil into the coolant....Am disgusted with the local in[acura]te deeler, their x-pert mechanic didnt even no a]where to look for a cooler, or b] engine has a water to engine oil cooler on it...Well in all fairness[ho-ho] to the service manager...he suggested i trade in my cherry 92 and sneak the oil in coolant problem past his very own sales people, suggesting they'd have to warrant and fix it later...sort of "stick the next generation" I walked out disgusted, with both their answers. Couple of days later, I begrudgingly found more help and expertise at their acura parts dept, where they pulled up the microfiches.which clearly show the 400 dollar water to oil cooler.....guess all good mechanics end up in sales, where the moneys at.
Hit up "google" for help,and landed uprite at this site...I got words of encouragement...and dismay...and many suspected it could have been head gaskets, or cracked head or block[which it could have been if the oil cooler hadnt proven to leaking oil into the water passage]..so thanks to the forums for providing the support. So in checking out the easy things...guess what??? the cheap[er], easy thing[oil cooler] was bad...
To cut to heart of the problem...WE Replaced the 400 buck oil cooler[located just beneath the water pump]..after testing it for leaks[ on the running engine].. changed all 20 somethig or so water hoses for safety sake though they looked good even after the oil through them....flushed 3 or 4 tymes, during which i trashed 2 radiator caps[their seals swell quick in oil] and after 800 hard miles, my 92L runs with crystal clear coolant, and the oil stays in the engine....Good thing i got more time than money to research problem....Sooooooooo guys and gals,,,if you have any oil in the overflow tank....take it back[under warranty] to your local acura dealer and demand that they give you a engine oil cooler which isnt leeking. Soooooooo for me, there was a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow...just keep trucking, ask a lot of "dumb questions" and stay away from "dealers" auto and cards...coco8724
Old 05-03-2003, 10:09 PM
bengeeee

Its cool that you took the time to post this. Although i hope i never need it you never know when this advice may save me money. Thanks a lot.

Ben
Old 05-03-2003, 10:40 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Yet another story of bad Acura dealers. Honestly, what is WITH those people? I called the one local to me, Rosenthal Acura, a little over a year ago about changing the timing belt on my 92 GSR... they were very unfriendly, and suggested that I drop the car off for a WEEK, and come back. No loaner offered, and their quote was just over a thousand "because we only use Acura parts," and they also suggested I trade it in for a newer Integra they had "which was better on maintanence than those older Integras." ... so, what, every time it's time to change the timing belt, BAM, buy a new one? They made it sound like the timing belt on the B17 was in mortal danger every 20K or 30K or something - as if the belts were made from shoelace... seriously, what terrible businessmen they were, even over the phone.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:18 AM
crxb16er

and this is why i stay away from almost all auto shops and come here for my info and with my problems, oh and cuz im cheap but thats besides the point
Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DelSolSIinMD
Yet another story of bad Acura dealers. Honestly, what is WITH those people? I called the one local to me, Rosenthal Acura, a little over a year ago about changing the timing belt on my 92 GSR... they were very unfriendly, and suggested that I drop the car off for a WEEK, and come back. No loaner offered, and their quote was just over a thousand "because we only use Acura parts," and they also suggested I trade it in for a newer Integra they had "which was better on maintanence than those older Integras." ... so, what, every time it's time to change the timing belt, BAM, buy a new one? They made it sound like the timing belt on the B17 was in mortal danger every 20K or 30K or something - as if the belts were made from shoelace... seriously, what terrible businessmen they were, even over the phone.
A timing belt is like 18 bucks! Genuine acura parts my foot. More like genuine acura labor (aka genuine acura getting ripped off )
Old 05-05-2003, 06:59 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

The automotive service industry - to state it simply - sucks! There are VERY few mechanics (or technicians for that matter) who actually know the product they're working on. Car makers are not providing adequate training for service techs these days, plus they are on "book time", so if they can't finish a job within a certain amount of time they lose money. If the job can't be jammed out the door in less than the amount of time it says in the book, they don't want to deal with it. Usually, if a service writer can bill out more time than the month has in it per tech, he gets a bonus (very typical at larger dealerships). This really sucks... this is why I try to fix everything myself these days, not to mention that when a dealer sees a modded car they don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. The fact is that you can't get quality work if you put service techs on commision - that just encourages greed! And as far as genuine honda/acura parts go.... well there sometimes is better out there. A good example is a set of brake lines - over $180 for a set from honda for stock rubber garbage, or $120 a set from goodridge (stainless braided, lifetime warranty)

Good for you coco8724!!! You should be proud of yourself that you took the time and followed your instinct - this is to all the dealers ripping off the world with inferior service and jacked prices

:madfawk: :madfawk: :madfawk: :madfawk: :madfawk: :madfawk: