Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

obd1 to obd2

Old 04-30-2003, 07:45 AM
stevieteg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd1 to obd2

Ok, I am putting a 1995 gsr motor into my 1997 ls. I know it's illegal, but I got the motor for cheap. Can some please give me info on what I need to change the gsr motor to obd-2. Or a way to pass emmissions with an obd-1 motor in a 1997. I have about a year to solve this problem obd problem. The motor will be going in my car in a month or so. Any direction would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-30-2003, 08:42 AM
preylude99

if theres any way possible to stay with obd1 then it would be better, you might need to find a smog place who would pass it under the table like that though, not sure about milwaukee but in cali it would be illegal.... you need the obd2 ecu and then the wiring harness for it im pretty sure....
Old 05-02-2003, 07:45 AM
stevieteg

Thanks, that actually very helpful. A relieable friend of mine told me he could do it, but I would have to pay him and I would rater do it myself. Anyone elce know anything about this?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:57 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

you would probably be better off converting the car to OBD1, you generally keep the OBD off the engine. An OBD1 motor is going to be missing the crank angle sensor that OBD2 needs, so you'd have to fake a signal to the ecu.

Also you would need to change the location of some 02 sensors, and probably some other stuff.

I think people would tell you to get an obd1 ecu, and obd2 -> obd1 conversion harness.

You're not going through california emissions, so you probably won't have a too stringent visual inspection, you'll probaby just have to pass the exhaust portion. Make sure you have all the 02 sensors running properly, and you have some sort of cat and muffler hooded up, and you'll probably be fine.

-PHiZ
Old 05-03-2003, 09:41 AM
R92680

if plan on going to try to change it over i can give the part list and numbers for all the parts that are needed to make it obd2 legal i did this in cali and i can pass it here then you can pass it anywhere
im not sure what the serial numbers will come up with when you fill out the paper work though it might not even get to the test part if it comes back 95(obd1) and your car is 97(obd2)

good luck AOL IM me r92680 if you need info on the part numbers and what is involed
Old 05-05-2003, 05:46 AM
stevieteg

Originally posted by R92680
if plan on going to try to change it over i can give the part list and numbers for all the parts that are needed to make it obd2 legal i did this in cali and i can pass it here then you can pass it anywhere
im not sure what the serial numbers will come up with when you fill out the paper work though it might not even get to the test part if it comes back 95(obd1) and your car is 97(obd2)

good luck AOL IM me r92680 if you need info on the part numbers and what is involed

Hey thanks,
I will try and hit you up on aim asap. If you have a list you can e-mail it to me: steviekulwicki@hotmail.com
In wisconsin they do not do any visual inspections. Some 16 year old kid drives your car in the garage, plugs it in, does a gas cap check, and that's it. They never check what is actually under the hood. I just need it to pass being pluged in. And if it does fail They just give you a month to fix it. I just don't want my ecu to be throwing tons of codes to the emissions people.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 AM
R92680

cool i sent so stuff you can look at i was in a rush i can go into a little more detail if you email me back with what you might need info wise i have the book and what they test for as far as cali goes in my room got it from the ref that did mine