Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Motor Builders! Your opinions please?

Old 11-26-2002, 10:07 AM
SiBirdie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why the hell you want to rebuild a SOHC motor? You wont beat corvetts or any of those v8 cars. Even with a built b16 its pertty hard. I say you get a B20b block from honda CRV. And add some high compression piston and get rods and total rebuild on the bottom end. Get the head Port and Polish it, purchase some Toda B's or Jun 3's cams with there valve train. The last thing you do is get hondata stage 2 and get it tune. With this set up you should make well over 200whp and 150lbs of torque at the wheels. With this kind of power, you should be able to break off vett's and whoever that you are racing.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:37 PM
seth90dx

Originally posted by Bumnah
vtec isn't good for boost cause it has a lot of overlap (intake and exhaust valves open at the same time). it's not ideal for turbo, but it's not that big of a deal either. all the real fast cars at the drag strip are using vtec motors, and i'm pretty sure they are all enabled.

as for the 4 small chargers i don't think it's a good idea right off the bat, plus you'll have 4 things which the motor has to turn, even thought they are small the motor still has to power 'em.

i'm not a fan of superchargers for honda's mainly cause we don't have the low end grunt to have a blower got with turbo it's mroe efficient for us honda's.
Well think of it this way... Turbo/supercharger is blowing gas and air out the exaust pipe if BOTH the intake/exaust valves are open right? As for my idea, I thought it holds a lot of promise! No one ever thought of SUCKING exaust out of a motor! With a setup like this you could use some EXTREAMLY agressive cams because the exaust would be gone so fast... Basicaly you could get rid of an entire engine cycle! Which would make you motor accelerate VERRY quickly. The way a N/A 4banger motor works is by using 1 cylinders at a time right? So one push exaust out while another one burns, one is compresing air/gas mix and one is sucking air gas mix in. So what if we eliminate the need for the motor to do the work of pushing out the exaust and sucking in the air/fuel mixture... Well we have already seen what hapens when we relieve the motor of having to suck in air and gas. So imagine what would happen if it didnt have to work pushing out the exaust! Thus 1 cylender burns as soon as that one has reacged the end of its cycle another one is already burning
As for honda motors lacking torque in the bottom end.... Thats what a supercharger helps with :dunno: However a centrifugical supercharger like I am describing would not ad as much torque as a roots style blower but it would still make a BIG diference!

A B20 in a 90DX hatchback??? I dont know about that dude.... I think the bigest thing I can fit is a B18... I dont know anyone who makes mounts bigger than B18 mounts for the 88-91 civics...
Old 11-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

actually hasport makes a mount kit for the b20 into 88-91 civics

http://www.hasport.com/Products/Moun...unt%20EFB1.htm
Old 11-26-2002, 04:45 PM
seth90dx

Hmmm... What is the best power for my money? The B20 IS pretty cheap isnt it? EGH1 Mount Kit <----- What year civic is thos for??? They didnt say! Maybe I can cram an H22 in my civic Also, what year B20 is after 91? Ya know b20a3 and whatnot, cause in order to make this thing fly at the smog ref it has to be a motor newer than 91.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:45 PM
redheat86
DoriTen y0

OMFG this post is going no where... a b20 is the same as a b18..if your gona want to get anywhere go with a b18, be it a, b or even c, the b20 is the sameas a b18...the MOTOR does not matter whether its from an obd1 or 2 car... ok? just use a zdyne ecu or a pms to tune it... you then dont need a gas tank sensor..
Old 11-26-2002, 10:42 PM
seth90dx

WHAT???!!!! Dude! You suck. Go blow bullsh*t out your ass elswere.

We are trying to actualy learn things in here and you are bouncin in sayin a b20z or b is the same as a b18! Look at the torque specs dude! How bout the b20z only makes 145 HP and is a 2litre and the b18 is 1.8litres and makes 180 HP!
Old 11-27-2002, 07:15 AM
seth90dx

Originally posted by SiBirdie
why the hell you want to rebuild a SOHC motor? You wont beat corvetts or any of those v8 cars. Even with a built b16 its pertty hard. I say you get a B20b block from honda CRV. And add some high compression piston and get rods and total rebuild on the bottom end. Get the head Port and Polish it, purchase some Toda B's or Jun 3's cams with there valve train. The last thing you do is get hondata stage 2 and get it tune. With this set up you should make well over 200whp and 150lbs of torque at the wheels. With this kind of power, you should be able to break off vett's and whoever that you are racing.
200 WHP... Hmmm.. I see that as probable. However arent the B20 series motors good for turbo/sc? I think they have a closed deck? Anyway the b20z makes over 150 ft lbs of torque already!
I hope I would make 150! You would brobably be lookin at 280 tq or so with that setup. And anyhow the B20B only makes like 130 HP! So thats not much different from the mini me! The b20z makes 145. Thats probably what I would go with IF i do swap a B20
Old 11-27-2002, 07:44 PM
redheat86
DoriTen y0

ok listen dip****. the b18a, b18b, and b20 all share the same block. the b18c is different as you maybe stated. i dont think im bull****ting either go somewhere else and ask.. and i know for a fact that the stupidity in you that you will never complete this project nore ever beat a god damn corvette in your civic. with all that said. arguing on here is like running in the special omlypmics. i offered my advice if you just gona knock me then go ahead.. but i do have experiance in building the b20 so stfu.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:11 PM
redheat86
DoriTen y0

and none of the b series come closed deck..maybe the old school prelude b20's come with closed deck.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:56 PM
seth90dx

Originally posted by redheat86
ok listen dip****. the b18a, b18b, and b20 all share the same block. the b18c is different as you maybe stated. i dont think im bull****ting either go somewhere else and ask.. and i know for a fact that the stupidity in you that you will never complete this project nore ever beat a god damn corvette in your civic. with all that said. arguing on here is like running in the special omlypmics. i offered my advice if you just gona knock me then go ahead.. but i do have experiance in building the b20 so stfu.
My appologies for flaming... It shouldnt have hapened. However there ARE many diferences Between the B18's and B20's.... And in your first post you stated that it was the same thing... Well they arent.

Secondly I would like to state the fact that you dont know who the FAWK you are talkin to! I make good money However I am new to the import scene, but that doesent meen I cant READ dyno sheets. I also noticed you used the words THINK alot in your posts. Well I am a man of FACT, I realy dont want to hear your oppinoins unless they are iether FACT or have enough knowledge behind them to make them sound at least probable.

Now... with all that said do you have anything interesting to say about how to put a B20Z in a 90 DX (since you have built them before) For instance what gearing should I use, how do I put gsr or itr trany on a B20? What is the BEST supercharging system to use on a B20? Im thinking a centrifugical becuase the B20Z already makes a buttload of torque... Who makes the BEST and most RELIABLE mounts for the B20? What kind of sleaves should I use (since these blocks are known to crack under high compression, and need to be resleaved in order to handle it) Also what are the best low comp pistons and who makes good FI cams for the B20Z... Were do I get an aftermarket ECU for it and in your oppinion what is the best one? There are a BUNCH more questions I have. Lets start with those :thumbup: