Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

1998 Honda Civic Coupe/ b18b

Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda Civic Coupe/ b18b

Hello everyone,
I have been on HAN for awhile, but I have up to this point concentrated on D series, specifically my d16y8 EX motor. I am beginning to get intrested in doing a B swap into my coupe, but I am having difficulty in finding a method to keep it obd2 for inspection concerns and all. I live in Buffalo, NY so there isnt too much that I have to adhere to other than making it obd2 scannable.

I am intrested in a b18b motor for this, as I want to build it and boost it down the line. Is this motor a good option for my goal of ~250-275 HP on the dyno? What is required to make this an obd2 conversion, and what kind of limitations does this place on actual tuning of the ecu once its all installed?

I have also found a fairly inexpensive b18a1 head with a recent valve job and mild port and polish on it. Would this be a reasonable purchase for the b18b block? Would it even be possible to make it obd2 at this point??

Thank you very much in advance, and I am sure that I will continue to post as my project moves on. I will post up a link for this in the Civic forum as well.

Thanks,
Will
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 PM
AcuraFanatic

B18A head really has no advantages over a B18B head at all and is not worth the effort IMO to put on, especially if it wasn't machined to be used on a forced induction engine.

You can always find an OBDII 1996-2001 Integra B18B into your car to make your life easier. OBDI conversions require harness changes and one less O2 bung, and while tuning is a little easier it's nothing that will slow you down significantly.

250WHP is realistic power figure with 8-10psi on stock internals. LS is a potent motor, and you always have options LS/VTEC down the road, or a full build.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Well, if I do buy it, I will be tearing it down and doing pistons/rods and cam/valvetrain before I go FI on it. Thanks though, your the first person that has acutally offered any "Real" input on this one. Oh, what I am REALLY wondering though, is if I can take an obd1 motor and convert it to obd2 without severe hassle and problems down the road.
Thanks again,
Will
Old 01-04-2006, 02:12 PM
97civicEXVTEC

you can make a lot more then 275whp with a built b18b. i believe they make obd1 -> obd2 conversions :thinking:
Old 01-04-2006, 08:34 PM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

I know I can go alot more than my goal, but honestly I have seen so many of my buddies and other forum users screw themselves by popping motors and transmissions, that I dont want to deal with that. I will tune it for somehting around 275, then leave some leeway to dial the boost up when I want alittle more. I want to DD it and to have it more than anything be RELIABLE . Ive heard of the d1---> d2 conversions, but I haven't found anything more than rumors/specualtion/"Well someone told me that its not worth it" type things.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
AcuraFanatic

Originally Posted by '98 EX RED
Well, if I do buy it, I will be tearing it down and doing pistons/rods and cam/valvetrain before I go FI on it. Thanks though, your the first person that has acutally offered any "Real" input on this one. Oh, what I am REALLY wondering though, is if I can take an obd1 motor and convert it to obd2 without severe hassle and problems down the road.
Thanks again,
Will
You can convert it, it's an emissions/electronics thing and as long as the hardware is correct, the engine will be fine.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:24 AM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Awesome. I found a b18b1/si tranny combo including full swap (EVERYTHING), but its like $3,000 shipped. I was expecting quite a bit less for a package like that. Any suggerstions?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 AM
AcuraFanatic

That seems kind of spendy. Check www.hmotorsonline.com