Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Age/Sitting Damage on Car and Engine, how impacting is this?

Old 03-18-2004, 07:43 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age/Sitting Damage on Car and Engine, how impacting is this?

I am thinking of getting an integra with a blown motor in it and replacing it. However the car has been sitting absolutely still for about 1.5 years, close to 2. How much extra damage has this "sitting spell" added if any?

A friend of mine said that the bearings in the axles might go bad over time cuz moisture could creap up inside and begin a rusting sequence.

He also said that the AC might be long gone, might need a whole new system?

Since the engine is blown, that doensn't matter, but theoretically how much would it hurt the engine and tranny?

I'm sure the part of the tire thats sitting on the pavement has dry rotted, maybe need a new set of tires now.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I put up a thread in the integra forum about how much a person would pay for this car. Its a 93 LS hatch. If you have an opinion on that, throw that in too.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 04:53 AM
aero3685

I have always wondered that aswell. I am sure stuff will get alot more seized together, and make the first time of taking it off hard as hell. I am guessing that it is not so great for the car though. Also it depends on where it was sitting... in a garage will obviously be a whole lot better than outside or in a field.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:19 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally Posted by aero3685
I have always wondered that aswell. I am sure stuff will get alot more seized together, and make the first time of taking it off hard as hell. I am guessing that it is not so great for the car though. Also it depends on where it was sitting... in a garage will obviously be a whole lot better than outside or in a field.
Yeh, its sitting in a parking lot outside of a house. Its a kind of damp area, i'm sure that has some effect on things. I just dont wanna buy it and have 20 things go wrong with it just cuz it sat for so long.

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 05:56 AM
Rice_Barn
Auto Performance Shop

most likly has taken a toll on the suspension and breaks. both easy to repair/replace. it is just sitting down for a whole day just to get the body rolling right/safe.
if the engine is blown (how) don't worry about it aging. the trann should be safe. it is a sealed system, so water is unlikly, but it can however bond it its-self from disuse. getting it turned over the first time will be hard. after that it should begin to break loose. CHANGE tranny fluid frequently untill debri is cleared...
Old 03-19-2004, 07:15 AM
DarkLightning

Pads, rotors, and tires are going to be a given. Brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, and tranny fluid should all be drained & refilled. The fuel MAY be ok, but I'd try to drain the fuel tank if at all possible. I'd recommend a fuel filter afterwards.

We restarted a motor after 18 months of sitting in place with 18 month old 87 octane; as soon as possible we got some higher octane fuel in there to make a more reasonable mixture. We changed the engine oil after a half hour of idling and 5 miles of driving with no visible signs of rust or foreign matter in the old oil. Tranny fluid will be changed at the first opportunity.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Thanks for the detailed replies.

What you think about weather stripping around doors and windows? U think that could go bad?

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 03-19-2004, 04:50 PM
DarkLightning

Possibly those on the south side of the car facing the sun, but then again maybe not. Not a very expensive repair regardless.