Notices

Halo projector lamp hookup problem

Old 05-22-2005, 05:03 AM
xpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo projector lamp hookup problem

I bought a '91 CRX with aftermarket projector headlamps already installed. The "halo" portion of the lamps were never hooked up though. The low beam/high beam portions are already hooked up and work fine.
Here's how I hooked up the halos:
I'm not sure on the legal issues for halos in my state so I wanted them routed through a switch. Each halo (there's 2, not 4) has a red and a black wire coming from it. I tied the two red together and routed that wire back to an LED switch. I then spliced into my passenger side parking light (the parking light has two reds and one black with both reds reading 12V when the lamps are on) and also ran that back to the switch. The third leg on the switch is ground which I ran to a ground screw under the dash. I took the two black wires from the halos, tied them together, and grounded them to the body.

When I turned on the switch, the switch lit up (so far so good) but the halos didn't light up properly. If you look close at the halo, you can see each one has two very small LEDs. Only one of the four lit up!

I don't know if I hooked something up wrong or if the LEDs are bad. Should I have used a resistor for them? I don't know if the LEDs are for a 12V system or not. I can't imagine an aftermarket lamp assembly that you would have to add components to just to make them work!

The brand name on the projectors is Sonar.

Has anybody hooked these up successfuly?

Also, I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but the way the headlights are hooked up, the low beams are the innermost and the high beams are towards the outside.?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:36 PM
xpman

Hellllloooo...

Has anybody had the LEDs go bad in a halo? If so, can they be replaced? The headlight assembly looks like it's sealed pretty good and I'm not sure I can get it apart without destroying it!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
spazz0nater
i wanna go fast

just from a computer nerd aspect of LEDs. They have a huge life span, only need like 3.4 volts to run and one side has to be postive and one side has to be negetive. So maybe they are hooke up wrong? Or you gave them 12 volts and poped? OR they are broke, but i do know you can hook up 5 leds in series and then you can run 12 volts to it. But thats my 2 cents
Old 05-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Special K

Hey, I had the same problem with 96-98 Sonar projectors, when I wired them up, only 2 halos worked, which soon became 1, then none.... I just posted a DIY on LED replacement, so that might be able to help you out.... I would assume everything is close to the same, aside from maybe a screw here or there...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=190868

I think Sonar included resistors for the LEDs in the headlamp inner wiring, but I ended up using fresh ones anyways.... just in case. I just bought 20 white LEDs and resistors off ebay for under $20 shipped... Radioshack from what I recall wanted $4 per LED....

I'm not 100% sure on how to best wire these things... last time I hooked mine up I wired the Halos to the turn signal ground and constant. Now for some wierd reason the constant on the signals themselves only work occasionally, but the halos work constantly...

It sounds like you've wired everything alright, but just to be sure, you did solder the connections and didn't just 'tie' everything together? That might be the problem, but odds are it's the Halos.......