Notices

Best Compression 4 Pump Gas

Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 PM
DirtyHarry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Compression 4 Pump Gas

Newb Here: Can Somebody Tell Me What The Best Compression Rate I Should Aim For To Run 93 Pump Gas For A Non-forced Induction Motor. I Want To Tach Out To About 8500 Rpm, Or A Little Over. I Will Be Installing A Normal Aftermarket Cam,(not To Crazy)and A Good Valve Train. Also, Whats The Highest Rpm I Can Go On A B16a Before I Have To Re-program?i Wanna Hit 9200 Rpm
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Firstly, your RPM is not based on what program you run, it is based on how well the engine is built to handle the rod spinning 9k RPMs. If you aren't built, you will most likely snap a rod bolt, which will completely obliterate your motor. I find it funny when LS/VTEC guys slap a VTEC head on their LS block and think they can redline at the GSR redline. Yes, it makes power up there but the block was never designed for anything over the stock LS redline.

I doubt a "normal aftermarket" cam will create much more power over stock redline, so raising the rev limit will do nothing but drastically shorten the life of your motor.

Secondly, the compression you can run all depends on your tuning. I have seen 12:1 ran on pump gas with virtually flawless tuning.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:25 AM
shivers
Moderator Alumni

11.5:1 is an all around good compression ratio for the street. You can do 12:1 or even 12.5:1, but you need to make sure your tuning is spot on. At this point, a full stand alone ECU (Power FC, Hondata, AEM EMS, etc.) would be recommended to have control of the fuel and timing maps.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
DirtyHarry

Default thank guys

appreciate the info, yeah, i def plan on changin my rods and pistons. Thats why i was asking for a good comp. rate. i guess i should be a little more reasonable on how high i want my revs. Maybe 85-8700 is reasonable.I've heard to get high revs with proper ignition is to have good cams, and excellent valve train. And of course to handle this, a good bottom end. again thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Bottom end is most important with high revs (if you make power there). You should at least balance the bottom end, replace the rod bolts with something stronger, and think about a girdle.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Have you ever driven an earlier S2k with a 9k redline? It flys up it the high RPM's, but is sluggish down low. This is the reason Honda upped the displacement to 2.2l and dropped the redling down to 8k on the new revision.

In other words, don't build an engine to spin to X rpm's, build it to produce the powerband you want. An engine that makes all it's power from 7-9k is useless on the street.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:00 AM
DirtyHarry

Default much abliged

makes sense, so what, 11:1 is about good. I've been told that honda cranks are extremely strong right from the get go, and are pretty well balanced out already. But, your right, useless on the street if I was going to run over 9 thousand. I want something that can handle over-rev, but not 9000, I was crazy to even want to consider that. Thanks for the help. good bunch of guys...........
Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by Kai
An engine that makes all it's power from 7-9k is useless on the street.
I'd take it.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by ED9man
I'd take it.
The S2k is also tuned to be streetable down low, I doubt a ported out high compression B16A would be as tame as an F20C.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:31 PM
DirtyHarry

Default more torque

I'm sure an S2K has a bunch more torque and high 1st and 2nd gears, the rest are low end gears to cruise for the freeway. I don't know..... but, what about this, out of the Si tranny,and the y1 tranny, which one has the longest gears? Well, whichever of the two have the longest gears, rebuild the tranny so it won't take a dump on you,(The y1 probably would be difficult to rebuild cause its rare in the us so...)have the bottom end and everything else of the motor re-done and flawless, then, I would be able to run the gears out with high revs to make the powerband as wide as possible. yea or nea. Would any integra tranny's fit, I heard they have long gears also. I'm listening to all ideas here.