Notices

Suspension???????????

Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Jigga JJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension???????????

check it.....I have a 90 civic DX Sedan 5 sp...and i was having these nocking noises from the front of the car when i go over a bump i hear it.sometimes i dont.more times i do thou........so i tightend up the upper control arm and mount and i was still getting the noise.so i checked the springs and they were no good..........dey were broken..( )(butmy car was lower )anywho...i changed my struts and springs.and i drove the car around.but i am still getting the noise(like a knock) i swore that after i chaned the springs it would be smooth sailing... but wut else could it be...and i know that the springs i put on were good because its a better ride quality..but does anyone have any ideas? please let me know

thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 08:40 PM
noki-o
slow rex

the problem is the uuper stut bushing
Old 02-23-2004, 02:18 AM
jc836

so i checked the springs and they were no good..........broken..( )(butmy car was lower )anywho...i changed my struts and springs.and i drove the car around.but i am still getting the noise(like a knock) i swore that after i chaned the springs it would be smooth sailing...

Did you replace the upper mount rubber isolators for the springs along with all of the rubber parts for the shocks? The only other possibility that comes to mind is that the end of the control arm is hitting the inner fender - that will happen on hard bumps when the car is lowered more than 2" or so. Then there are the upper ball joints- if stock then the control arm itself is hitting something or if adjustable then the retaining bolt will hit in the shock tower. Beeen there with both of these sources of noise. Check that you have clearance between the end of the control arm and the inner fender and rubber liner. Last thought is that the bumpstops may be bad. Follow the instructions for the springs to cut them to the proper length-or leave them alone if you are not told to do anything. It is possible that you are bottoming out the shocks, mainly if the car is really low.

If all is well with these pieces, it is time to carefully check the CV joints and other chassis parts.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Jigga JJ

...before i got the car.the upper control mount ( ball joint) were changed .it looks like something from canadian tire....im thinking that may be an issue as well.with the aftermarket product....i never really knew that the bushing for the struts were to be changed.hmm.can anyone show me a visual please
Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Magik

Originally Posted by Jigga JJ
...before i got the car.the upper control mount ( ball joint) were changed .it looks like something from canadian tire....im thinking that may be an issue as well.with the aftermarket product....i never really knew that the bushing for the struts were to be changed.hmm.can anyone show me a visual please
Before you said that I was gonna say it was the BJ in the upper control arm...still might be because what you describe sounds just like when one of mine went and I couldn't figure it out either. Whenever I'm checking ball joints I check them all...for example, if I had a bad UCA ball joint I would double check the lower ball joint and the tie rod end at the same time.

Also, aftermarket parts aren't necessarily bad, for example I bought my upper control arm (w/balljoint) for $81CDN + tax and have driven on it for a year and a half...bought my tie rod end for $26CDN + tax and have driven on that for 6 months. Now at Honda they wanted almost $300 for an upper control arm...and almost $100 for a tie rod end...ummm, no. When I can buy almost 4 parts for the price of one...which do you think I'm gonna choose. The thing is, I get my aftermarket stuff from 1-3 different places in town...always...it all depends on the aftermarket stuff you get, so far I've been lucky.

Now back to your problem...it sounds more like a ball joint problem than a spring problem...from how you describe it...but it's hard to tell without hearing it.

Hope my babbling helps...

Jason
Old 02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Jigga JJ

yeah ima gonna do that on fri at the shop.................and check my front end.i know i need a tie rod end on one side thou...and the bushings on one side of the LCA needs to be changed........but do u know any places in Toronto that sell qualitiy aftermarket parts
?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Magik

Originally Posted by Jigga JJ
yeah ima gonna do that on fri at the shop.................and check my front end.i know i need a tie rod end on one side thou...and the bushings on one side of the LCA needs to be changed........but do u know any places in Toronto that sell qualitiy aftermarket parts
?
Not right off the top of my head, but maybe give one of my places a call here and see what they say about local shops up there, or what it might cost to ship you stuff:

Midway Auto Parts : 506-853-9363
377 High St, Moncton, New Brunswick
Mon-Fri 8AM-5:30pm Saturday 9AM-1:00pm
(All Times Atlantic)

Priceline Auto Parts: 506-382-3632
35 English Drive, Moncton, New Brunswick E1E 3X3
Mon-Fri 9AM-5:00pm Saturday 9AM-12:00pm

Sorry...neither one have a website...hope that helps...

Jason