Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

help with system ideas

Old 07-07-2002, 06:33 PM
azn1028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with system ideas

hello.. i had a couple questions.. currently i have a factory casette HU and an alpine 6 disk changer.. a JL 15" w0 and a crossfire amp.. i was either gonna sell my changer to buy a head unit.. or keep the head unit and wire it to the factory.. i read the thread on wiring to factory. but i was wondering how hard is it to do?? also, wut's the difference between having one pair vs two pair of RCA outs.. and what's so good about having a sub out on my head unit if i can just get signal from rca?? any suggestions on what i should do? thanks..

also will this do it all for me??
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-n3Do61Z...27OEM2&o=m&a=0
like just buy this and a streetwires kit for my amp??

Last edited by azn1028; 07-07-2002 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:26 PM
b00gers

if all you want is an amp to power the sub, then 1 preout is all you need. with 1 pair of RCA you can power 2ch...with 2 pairs you can power 4 chs...and so on.

if a HU has 3 sets of RCAs...one will be called the sub-preout. this is usually give you the option of adjusting the volume from the amp from the HU. the other 2 set will be for the 4ch amp which will let you control the balance/fade of the speakers.

although i have never hooked up an amp to a factory deck using the speaker level inputs or converters....im sure its not a difficult task. someone else should give you better insight on it.

i say sell the changer...get a deck with MP3 compatibilities.

that item you linked up there will allow you to have 4chs...giving you the option of hooking up a sub amp, or a 2ch amp, or even both, all with the RCA-less factory deck.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:30 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Which Alpine cd changer do you have?? Depending on what model it is, you could buya corresponding Alpine head unit that connects directly to the changer for the best sounding results. If you want to keep everything stock looking, then you need to make sure your Alpince changer either can plug into your deck,if its the right one via a special cable, or it has a FM modulator to play through a radio station on your factory deck.

Having 2 rca's givies you more flexibility in regards to adding amps. 1 pretty much limits you to one amp unless your amp has an rca output. You could also add an EQ or crossover that would allow for more rca outputs.

The item you have linked at Crutchfield is what you would use to obtain rca outputs if you stayed with your factory deck. Hopefully, you also know that you'll need an amp kit to hook up any amps you add to power your JL sub.
Old 07-07-2002, 09:45 PM
azn1028

im poor so im gonna buy the http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1840995550
just the high/low converter.. question is that my amp already has the rca's for low in .. and it also has a "high in".. can i just plug something directly in there?? also it has a built in crossover.. wut should i set it on.. i see HPF, FULL, or LPF.. and thanks SiClone.. im gonna go buy the streetwires type kit once i figure out if i need to also get this rca thingy.. thanks
Old 07-08-2002, 05:49 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by azn1028
im poor so im gonna buy the http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1840995550
just the high/low converter.. question is that my amp already has the rca's for low in .. and it also has a "high in".. can i just plug something directly in there?? also it has a built in crossover.. wut should i set it on.. i see HPF, FULL, or LPF.. and thanks SiClone.. im gonna go buy the streetwires type kit once i figure out if i need to also get this rca thingy.. thanks
you need to set the amp to LPF(low pass filter)
Old 07-08-2002, 12:22 PM
azn1028

thanks for the help.... last question.. is how do i wire it to my stock unit where the amp only turns on when i turn on my head unit?? cuz i dun want the amp on all the time..
Old 07-08-2002, 12:33 PM
b00gers

thanks for the help.... last question.. is how do i wire it to my stock unit where the amp only turns on when i turn on my head unit?? cuz i dun want the amp on all the time..
use the antenna lead.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:03 AM
FromTheBottom
Driver of Trains

I wanted to be able to turn my amp on and off depending on situation (roll into a parking lot or something) so I wired the remote wire to a switch, and that to the in-car fuse box below the driver side dash. This way it's independent of the radio, and automatically goes off when the ignition is not in the ON/START position, saving the battery a little.

Also, I am using a line out converter from my rear speakers to my amp since I did not want to replace my HU. it may not have the sound quality aftermarket units can produce, but it's balanced well, which to me is most important.

Hope this helps, any questions are always welcome.