Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Old or new?

Old 04-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Blikkem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old or new?

I have to replace my stock speakers, it's already seen it's best days. I have a 98 accord ex.
I have an old system I had in a car a long time ago. It was expensive at the time. It includes: Altec Lansing component 6.5 w/tweeter and crossover 80w max. (M65), A Pioneer amp. 60wx2 (28w rms) (GM123), and a pair of Pioneer 6x9 3-way 120w max (40w rms) (TS-a6905). These are really old models but I used them for a couple of years and then stored them in my closet. I hooked the speakers up briefly to my home stereo and they work and are in good condition. Do you think I should spend the money to have them put in my car or buy all new stuff. Also how good would speakers sound if they have been sitting around for a while. They were fine when I took them out and they've been safely stored ever since, hate to have to buy new with. Maybe just a new amp so if I buy new speakers I can just swap them out and not worry about having someone wiring a new amps as well. If I buy new I would stay in the same wattage range.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:40 PM
97teg

If you like the way it sounded then yeah might as well. No use buying new stuff if it doesn't even sound as good as your old stuff. I don't think most speakers have a problem with age. The only problem is if the speaker has a foam surround it could have rotted. If everything looks good might as well put everything in. New stuff isn't always better.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:20 AM
Randy12vp

If you already have the equiptment and it's in good working order then use it I say. Why spend the money on new equiptment if you don't have to.
Old 04-27-2003, 06:27 AM
overflow

u may want to upgrade that amplifier. those components will sound much better with a little more power running into them. the x-overs rob alot of the power you send thru them, so if you can by-amplify them i would get a 4ch to reun the components up front and put the dinky pioneer amp on the 6x9's. if ur not really that into audio scene, ull prolly be very happy with that setup. but if your trying to really make an impact on ur sound i would replace it all and go with some boston or alpine speakers, amplified of course with a modest sub, single 10 in a slot ported box maybe.

of course all this teeters on theh head unit. if your source unit is crap, dont bother with anything unless your going to go big on external processing ($$$$$$$$)

let me know if you have any other audio questions, i came here to learn about motors, but i can help with stereo/security questions all day!
Old 04-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Blikkem

Default my options-your advice

I'm not to the point where I want a sub yet, maybe later I'll buy a small powered sub. I'm just trying to improve on the current components for now.
Question, Do you think the components w/crossover needs an amp? It's 80 w max. so I'm guessing around 30-40 watt rms. I was thinking my head unit (which is stock, that's another "later" things to upgrade because I'm pretty happy with it right now.) could power that and the "dinky" pioneer on the old 6x9's.

Here's my other option,
I saw a 4x40w/2x100w/1x540w rms 5channel Alpine amp (strange, it says it's 5channel but only has specs for a 4 channel) for $139 this gives me some flexibility. I could match a new pair of 6x9s (maybe Infinity Reference 6903i) and put the "dinky" Pioneer (2x28w rms) on my old components up front.
$3-400 bucks.

OOOOR

I could get the same Alpine amp and run everything off of it 40w for the old front components (if you think it will be able to handle that much power) and 40w for my old pair of 6x9 Pioneers or new Kenwood KFC (kentucky fried chicken)-6907 4-way speakers (I like these because they have 93 db sensitivity at a good price). $200-250.

Maybe that Alpine amp can also power a small sub in either configuration.

Is there a big difference between 2way and 3way 6x9s? Brand?

What do you think?
Old 04-28-2003, 12:15 AM
rcurley55

Default Re: my options-your advice

Originally posted by Blikkem
I'm not to the point where I want a sub yet, maybe later I'll buy a small powered sub. I'm just trying to improve on the current components for now.
Get ready, everyone will push you to have a sub. That includes me. Seriously, there really isn't a powered sub on the market that I can think of (it's late and I've been in the garage all day so it's not all working) that is worth it's money.

Question, Do you think the components w/crossover needs an amp? It's 80 w max. so I'm guessing around 30-40 watt rms. I was thinking my head unit (which is stock, that's another "later" things to upgrade because I'm pretty happy with it right now.) could power that and the "dinky" pioneer on the old 6x9's.
Problem number 1 - never believe a max power rating....good job cutting it in half....the stock head could do a pretty good job with the 6x9's.

Here's my other option,
I saw a 4x40w/2x100w/1x540w rms 5channel Alpine amp (strange, it says it's 5channel but only has specs for a 4 channel) for $139 this gives me some flexibility. I could match a new pair of 6x9s (maybe Infinity Reference 6903i) and put the "dinky" Pioneer (2x28w rms) on my old components up front.
$3-400 bucks.
Does a 5 channel 540W amp for 140 sound too good to be true? It does to me. If you have 3-400 to spend, don't use it on back speakers and an amp that seems to be rated incorrectly.

I could get the same Alpine amp and run everything off of it 40w for the old front components (if you think it will be able to handle that much power) and 40w for my old pair of 6x9 Pioneers or new Kenwood KFC (kentucky fried chicken)-6907 4-way speakers (I like these because they have 93 db sensitivity at a good price). $200-250.
You should see what those comps can handle up front. If those pioneers work, keep them. I'm a huge proponent of not spending a single dime on rear speakers. Do you sit in the rear seat when you drive? Have you ever faced away from the stage at a concert? (I hope you answered no to both of those) Then why do you need rear speakers....guess what you don't. Some people like them, personally, I hate them.

Maybe that Alpine amp can also power a small sub in either configuration.

Is there a big difference between 2way and 3way 6x9s? Brand?

What do you think?
Here's what I would do.....it appears to me that you are not interested in going deaf anytime soon, or scaring old people from 3 blocks away. Go find yourself a nice 50x4 amp...something with built in crossovers. there are MANY amps to choose from that will suit the bill....am I right so far?

I cruised over to sounddomain.com, and here's some options:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MTX6304

Nice 4 channel amp for 200 - it's a solid performer, and has some nice features.

Another amp that I wouldn't hesitate to get:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ORIXTR5004

Either of those would run a sweet system.

Now, I know that you said that you weren't sure about the whole subwoofer thing, but hear me out....

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSID12V3D2

or

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSID10V3D2

These really are great drivers, they work well in small sealed enclosures, and will sound great.

Go to wallmart, get yourself a 4 ga scoshe wiring kit, get a Qlogic box from sounddomain, add the Altec Lansing components, and you are looking good for around 500.

Now, if you want the sub now or later, that's up to you, but I would suggest that you get a solid 4 channel amp. You could just as easily pick up one of those, wire it to the 4 sets of speaker syou have now, and be sounding great. IF you want to add a sub down the line, use two channels from the amp to power the front speakers, then use the other pair for the sub, and run the rear's from teh factory headunit.

I have only found a small handful of 5 channel amps that were worth anything. Typically, they are severely underpowered in teh sub channel (personally, I would like at least 200W to my sub).

That's just some food for thought.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:27 AM
Blikkem

OK how about this:
I agree that a sub will make a difference but not right now. $$$$.
You are right, I don't want to scare (annoy) people 3 blocks away, Id rather have clean sound.

The question now is how to configure my amps.
That Alpine amp is rated correctly on the Alpine site and at Circuit City (wher I originally noticed it) but I've seen a couple of bad reviews about the V-power Alpine amps. Seems they are low end and are weaker then what their rating suggests.

So,

Based on all you great advice these are what I'm starting to consider. I'll keep all my speakers, I will use my "dinky" Pioneer 28w rms to power the front components and then get this amp to power the rear 6x9's:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...02&showspecs=1
or
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=roc201s

I can also get a 4 channel amp that can go 3 channels later on for a sub and fronts and at that time put in my Pioneer amp to power the rears.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...04&showspecs=1
or
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=roc300x

I like the MTX that you mentioned but it's Distortion is a little on the hight side. The Orion seems like a monster, Military specs can't hurt. 62w x4 could kill all my speakers quicker. Can my speaker handle 62w rms? My 6x9's are rated at 40w rms and the Altecs are (I think) about 30w rms. Overkill for these speakers? The features are pretty impressive. What do you think of the two amps I had picked out? I've heard good things about JBL and Rockford, they are also cheaper at Etronics.com.

Why would I need a sub box for the components if I'm installing them up front? Please explain.

I do like to have good rears. Although I know the front sound stage is much more important. I think the rears add depth.

Tell me what you think of my two options and amps I choose?

Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:23 AM
rcurley55

One thing about ratings, you really have to think about what they say....

Just as an example....a/d/s/ amps are rated the same as the MTX - THD < 0.1% Now, a/d/s/ are some of the cleanest amps on the market IMO.

I'll be back this afternoon to help you with some of your questions.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Blikkem

Any help would be helpful. I just need help with the Amp configuration. 2 channel, 4/3/2/ channel, old amp new amp? Don't know which is the best way to go.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:38 AM
rcurley55

Well, what are you willling to spend today on a system, and what are you willing to spend down the road.

I'm still going to recommend that you get a 4 channel and a sub. Now, I don't think that your speakers will blow if you are conservative with listening to your system, and setting the gains and crossovers, even if you add more power then is recommended.

Throw out some dollar $'s that are realistic, and we can help you out.