Thread: Old or new?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Blikkem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my options-your advice

I'm not to the point where I want a sub yet, maybe later I'll buy a small powered sub. I'm just trying to improve on the current components for now.
Question, Do you think the components w/crossover needs an amp? It's 80 w max. so I'm guessing around 30-40 watt rms. I was thinking my head unit (which is stock, that's another "later" things to upgrade because I'm pretty happy with it right now.) could power that and the "dinky" pioneer on the old 6x9's.

Here's my other option,
I saw a 4x40w/2x100w/1x540w rms 5channel Alpine amp (strange, it says it's 5channel but only has specs for a 4 channel) for $139 this gives me some flexibility. I could match a new pair of 6x9s (maybe Infinity Reference 6903i) and put the "dinky" Pioneer (2x28w rms) on my old components up front.
$3-400 bucks.

OOOOR

I could get the same Alpine amp and run everything off of it 40w for the old front components (if you think it will be able to handle that much power) and 40w for my old pair of 6x9 Pioneers or new Kenwood KFC (kentucky fried chicken)-6907 4-way speakers (I like these because they have 93 db sensitivity at a good price). $200-250.

Maybe that Alpine amp can also power a small sub in either configuration.

Is there a big difference between 2way and 3way 6x9s? Brand?

What do you think?