Thread: Old or new?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 12:15 AM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my options-your advice

Originally posted by Blikkem
I'm not to the point where I want a sub yet, maybe later I'll buy a small powered sub. I'm just trying to improve on the current components for now.
Get ready, everyone will push you to have a sub. That includes me. Seriously, there really isn't a powered sub on the market that I can think of (it's late and I've been in the garage all day so it's not all working) that is worth it's money.

Question, Do you think the components w/crossover needs an amp? It's 80 w max. so I'm guessing around 30-40 watt rms. I was thinking my head unit (which is stock, that's another "later" things to upgrade because I'm pretty happy with it right now.) could power that and the "dinky" pioneer on the old 6x9's.
Problem number 1 - never believe a max power rating....good job cutting it in half....the stock head could do a pretty good job with the 6x9's.

Here's my other option,
I saw a 4x40w/2x100w/1x540w rms 5channel Alpine amp (strange, it says it's 5channel but only has specs for a 4 channel) for $139 this gives me some flexibility. I could match a new pair of 6x9s (maybe Infinity Reference 6903i) and put the "dinky" Pioneer (2x28w rms) on my old components up front.
$3-400 bucks.
Does a 5 channel 540W amp for 140 sound too good to be true? It does to me. If you have 3-400 to spend, don't use it on back speakers and an amp that seems to be rated incorrectly.

I could get the same Alpine amp and run everything off of it 40w for the old front components (if you think it will be able to handle that much power) and 40w for my old pair of 6x9 Pioneers or new Kenwood KFC (kentucky fried chicken)-6907 4-way speakers (I like these because they have 93 db sensitivity at a good price). $200-250.
You should see what those comps can handle up front. If those pioneers work, keep them. I'm a huge proponent of not spending a single dime on rear speakers. Do you sit in the rear seat when you drive? Have you ever faced away from the stage at a concert? (I hope you answered no to both of those) Then why do you need rear speakers....guess what you don't. Some people like them, personally, I hate them.

Maybe that Alpine amp can also power a small sub in either configuration.

Is there a big difference between 2way and 3way 6x9s? Brand?

What do you think?
Here's what I would do.....it appears to me that you are not interested in going deaf anytime soon, or scaring old people from 3 blocks away. Go find yourself a nice 50x4 amp...something with built in crossovers. there are MANY amps to choose from that will suit the bill....am I right so far?

I cruised over to sounddomain.com, and here's some options:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MTX6304

Nice 4 channel amp for 200 - it's a solid performer, and has some nice features.

Another amp that I wouldn't hesitate to get:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ORIXTR5004

Either of those would run a sweet system.

Now, I know that you said that you weren't sure about the whole subwoofer thing, but hear me out....

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSID12V3D2

or

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSID10V3D2

These really are great drivers, they work well in small sealed enclosures, and will sound great.

Go to wallmart, get yourself a 4 ga scoshe wiring kit, get a Qlogic box from sounddomain, add the Altec Lansing components, and you are looking good for around 500.

Now, if you want the sub now or later, that's up to you, but I would suggest that you get a solid 4 channel amp. You could just as easily pick up one of those, wire it to the 4 sets of speaker syou have now, and be sounding great. IF you want to add a sub down the line, use two channels from the amp to power the front speakers, then use the other pair for the sub, and run the rear's from teh factory headunit.

I have only found a small handful of 5 channel amps that were worth anything. Typically, they are severely underpowered in teh sub channel (personally, I would like at least 200W to my sub).

That's just some food for thought.