Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sub wiring

Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM
dawrenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub wiring

What is the best wiring for 2 10 inch JL subs with a 500w kenwood amp? What wires do I need for the amp. Here are pics of the setup I got, I am not sure what model jl's they are b/c I got them by trading someone Rockband for Ps3:

Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Tedmond

those are the JL w0 series and are rated for roughly 250w rms PER Sub and they are single 4ohm coils.

if your amp can support 2 ohms, wire them parallel to get the most out of your amp. Also, the box looks a little big for those subs. Those subs need large cubic feets but when you place it into a bandpass box, you loose alot - they require sealed enclosures for maximum performance.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Tedmond

run 4 gauge power and ground. this way if you ever plan to upgrade your amp, there will be no hassles.

from the amp to the speaker, use 14 or 12 gauge.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
dawrenn

Originally Posted by Tedmond
those are the JL w0 series and are rated for roughly 250w rms PER Sub and they are single 4ohm coils.

if your amp can support 2 ohms, wire them parallel to get the most out of your amp. Also, the box looks a little big for those subs. Those subs need large cubic feets but when you place it into a bandpass box, you loose alot - they require sealed enclosures for maximum performance.
What are sealed enclosures? Will this box be good enough? Can I use my stock radio? This will be going in an RSX.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Tedmond

sealed enclosures is when it holds all the air inside and allows nothing out. the current box is alright, not the greatest box, but it works. using the sstock deck is no problem. tha box is a little big for the rsx.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 AM
b00gers

In laymans terms, a sealed enclosure is a box with no holes in it. You have a bandpass box (the waves from the front of the sub is channeled through a port).

Theres hardly a way to tell if that box is "good enough." You have it already, so just hook it up and see if you like it. You can use your stock radio, but you will need to feed the amp the signals through the rear speaker wires via a line output converter. That will get rid of the need of RCA cables to the deck.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 AM
dawrenn

I heard that the amp has to be bypassed or there will be a buzzing noise.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM
b00gers

What amp needs to be bypassed?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Tedmond

hes talkin about the factory amp. that is not true. if yu byoass the factory amp then how will you get sound to your speakers right. Get a low output converter and tag the rear speaker wires.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
dawrenn

Im just gonna stick with the stock headunit right now. I am trying to save up for a D3. Circuit city is installing the stuff tomorrow. The guy said I didn't need an RCA converter, He said that they had some wires that he could splice into something so I wouldn't have to buy the converter. He says if I get an aftermarket headunit he would have to rewire something and would charge $180 to do it since it is a bose system so it would be better to stick with the stock headunit if I plan on upgrading to a D3. He also said if I want to upgrade my components that I would have to get a aftermarket 4 channel amp, Is that true? All he said I needed was the 4 gauge wiring kit and the RCA cables.