Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Sub wiring

Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Tedmond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

circuit city is not lying to you, i can confirm that. the amp has a HIGH level input, meaning he can just tap into the speaker wires and connect taht straight to your amp. IMO i see the hi-to-low output converter is better becaue it filters out more of the higher frequencies. If you upgrade your deck, the installer will end up running a set of RCA cables which is like 30 bucks, but the harness to bypass the bose amp (if you car is the type s) it is a pain in the ass. The installer will bypass the amp but it DOES NOT require you to purchase a aftermarket 4 channel amp. If he is a good installer, he will individually run wires to each speaker and connect it back to your deck; however if you plan to upgrade your speakers, get the amp now so running power wires one time will save you the cost. I did mentione 4gauge wire before, so all is swell.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Tedmond

btw the bypass harness is only 80 bucks. the labour is the most expensive part. i forgot to mention each speaker is VERy easy to install. you can even do it yourself. dont for out 150 to get your speakers wired in. you honestly can do it yourself. hope that helps
Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 PM
dawrenn

I just my car back and the fuse on the amp keeps blowing, It's a 30 amp fuse, Should I put a bigger one in there?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Tedmond

if the fuse in the amp keeps blowing, it may be shorting out. DO NOT replace it with a bigger fuse. Take it back to the installer and have him look at it free of charge. He should have tested the system befor and if he noticed problems, he would have given you som info.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
dawrenn

I took it back and the guy found out what the problem was, The installer last night had these set to high and it was causing the amp to overheat which caused the fuse to blow:

Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 AM
dawrenn

If he wired up to the factory sub and I went to unhook would the other subs not work?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Tedmond

good thing i mentioned for you to take it back. In the long run your car would have burned to the ground from an electrical fire.

currently, you still have the factory bass working, If he bypassed the factory amp, then none of your speakers or factory sub would work. Are you tryin to ask if you removed the JL's from your car, would the factory bose sub still work? if so then yes. An installer will never mess with factory settings.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
dawrenn

I am asking if I disconnect the factory sub from the connection in the back if the JL's will still work?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
dawrenn

I am just thinking that he tapped something into the factory sub wiring.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:16 AM
dawrenn

I just went outside and unplugged the factory sub to see if they JL's would work and they don't. What would I need to do to make it so I can have the factory sub unplugged?