Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Is this possible?

Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this possible?

Lets say I have a headunit with 3 preouts, F/R/Sub. And I have a single 4 ch amp. But I want to power my front stage, rear stage, and my sub. Would it be possible to power the front and sub using the 4 ch amp. Then use the internal amp in the headunit to power the rear?

I tried and wired everything up. It doesnt seem to work. I just want to know if this is possible.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:19 AM
TTT

You could, but you would either set you sub up to only one channel, or bridge the amp and run mono on the front. I'm not sure why its not working for you. How did you wire it up? Did you bridge the amp or just wire the sub up to one channel? Also, whats the resistances of your sub and front speakers?

Last edited by WiLL; 04-25-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

You can do it, but your sub would try to project the entire decible range.

on the amp you have: (all set a full mode, not just mono)
- front right
+ front right
- front left
+ front left

- rear right
+ rear right
- rear left
+ rear left

Wire the front speakers normally, then bridge the amp to the sub. That should get you power, but since the amp is on a stereo mode for the front speakers, the sub might not get as low as you'd like it.

*disclaimer - this is going off of 5 year old amp technology, i need a new one and current models may be completely different from what i have. h:
Old 04-25-2005, 07:35 AM
cobbcustomz

might be tough to accomplish while staying in the optimum Ohm level
Old 04-25-2005, 09:28 AM
97teg

It should work. The only reason it wouldnt is if as said before the sub is below 4 ohms. Most 4 channels ive seen only go to 4 ohms bridged. But yeah my friend has his car set up like that and it works fine. Id use front out to amp to components then sub out to amp bridge to sub then rear speaker outs of the deck to the rear speakers. Then jsut turn on the crossover for the sub and components. Is nothing working or not getting sound out of all the speakers?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
b00gers

Right now I have the front speakers using Ch 1 and Ch 2. When I tried it last night, I had my subwoofer out. So Ch 3 and Ch 4 was empty on the amp.

I took my deck out and wired the 4 rear speaker wires on the harness. Then I went into the back and wired up my rear speakers. I turned it on, and nothing played out the rear speakers. The fronts fade and balance fine, but when pushed to the rear, no sound at all. The speakers are brand new so they should work, but I am going to hook them up to the amp to make sure they are in working order.

One thing I did notice that was weird is that when I did have my sub in Ch 3 and Ch 4 (the rear channels), it would not fade to the back also. When I fade to the back on the deck, no sound would come out of the sub also. I have the RCA plugged into the F and R preouts. Sub (non-fade) preout is empty.

Could there be something wrong with the RCA wires not giving a signal? I dont have an OHM reader or any multimeters to use.

Thanks for the help :happysad:
Old 04-25-2005, 10:02 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by TTT
You could, but you would either set you sub up to only one channel, or bridge the amp and run mono on the front. I'm not sure why its not working for you. How did you wire it up? Did you bridge the amp or just wire the sub up to one channel? Also, whats the resistances of your sub and front speakers?

The amp can play at 4 Ohm bridged. My fronts are 4 Ohm, and my sub is also 4 ohm. The way I want it is the front in stereo, and the sub in mono.

(Sorry, I accidently hit the EDIT button instead of QUOTE on your post)
Old 04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
You can do it, but your sub would try to project the entire decible range.

on the amp you have: (all set a full mode, not just mono)
- front right
+ front right
- front left
+ front left

- rear right
+ rear right
- rear left
+ rear left

Wire the front speakers normally, then bridge the amp to the sub. That should get you power, but since the amp is on a stereo mode for the front speakers, the sub might not get as low as you'd like it.
:
Ch 1 and 2 has its own filter set on high pass, and Ch 3 and 4 has the filter set on low pass. So it feeds the according speakers just fine. I am just having trouble with the rear speakers that should be powered by the headunit.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
b00gers

Originally Posted by cobbcustomz
might be tough to accomplish while staying in the optimum Ohm level
What do you mean?

Originally Posted by 97teg
It should work. The only reason it wouldnt is if as said before the sub is below 4 ohms. Most 4 channels ive seen only go to 4 ohms bridged. But yeah my friend has his car set up like that and it works fine. Id use front out to amp to components then sub out to amp bridge to sub then rear speaker outs of the deck to the rear speakers. Then jsut turn on the crossover for the sub and components. Is nothing working or not getting sound out of all the speakers?
The only problem I have is the rear speakers not working. I even went as far as unplugging the RCA wires for the amp. Still no sound from rear speakers that should be powered by the deck. It is starting to sound like a wiring problem.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
97teg

The non fader should be going to the rear channels on the amp (3&4) and then bidrge those two channels to the sub. The rear rcas are the ones that should be empty. The rcas for the front should go to channel 1&2 on the amp. When you tried the sub out did you make sure it was turned on in the deck? If you move the front rcas to 3&4 do you get sound out of the sub?