Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp Stopped working

Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 PM
jmf363

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Stopped working

I recently had a dead battery in my 2000 civic ex from the cold weather. I had the battery replaced today, and now my subs and amp dont seem to be working. Its an audiobahn amp. When i turn the head unit on the amp turns on, but the digital voltage meter on the amp doesnt come on. THe amp has power and everyhting is connected. Any idea what this could be. Its a sony mp70 cd/mp3 player. if anyone has any ideas id really appreciate it, ive already tried reseting the deck.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:11 AM
rcurley55

Are you sure that the amp has power? Did you test it? If the amp constant power is hot, jumper the amp power line to the amp remote line (disconnect from headunit first!) and see if it turns on. If it does, then the amp remote from your headunit is bad.

If it doesn't, either you have a blown fuse along the constant power to the amp or in the amp itself, or the amplifier is bad...
Old 02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
jmf363

Originally Posted by rcurley55
Are you sure that the amp has power? Did you test it? If the amp constant power is hot, jumper the amp power line to the amp remote line (disconnect from headunit first!) and see if it turns on. If it does, then the amp remote from your headunit is bad.

If it doesn't, either you have a blown fuse along the constant power to the amp or in the amp itself, or the amplifier is bad...
the amp itself has power because when i turn my head unit on and off the amp turns on and off, thats why im thinking it may be a setting on the deck. any ideas?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:06 AM
rcurley55

but the digital voltmeter isn't working? The amp remote may be triggering the light on the amp to turn on and off possibly.

If you are not getting signal, and this is a subwoofer amplifier, you may have to turn the sub outputs on - go to the sony website - you can download the manual and it will list all of the settings.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:01 AM
jmf363

but the digital voltmeter isn't working? The amp remote may be triggering the light on the amp to turn on and off possibly.

If you are not getting signal, and this is a subwoofer amplifier, you may have to turn the sub outputs on - go to the sony website - you can download the manual and it will list all of the settings.
when i jump started my car, could that have blown a fuse in the amp or from the battery? if so would the internal lights in the amp still turn on?
Old 02-25-2004, 11:31 AM
rcurley55

Lots of things could have happened...that's why I would suggest that you use a digital multi meter to test the two lines going into the amp. Sometimes fuses look good, but are actually blown.

You could even grab a simple 12volt instrument light, connect a pair of leads to that, and test these lines to make sure they go hot when they should.

That and the fuses are the first step in checking it out...it's going to take some detective work.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:57 PM
jmf363

Lots of things could have happened...that's why I would suggest that you use a digital multi meter to test the two lines going into the amp. Sometimes fuses look good, but are actually blown.

You could even grab a simple 12volt instrument light, connect a pair of leads to that, and test these lines to make sure they go hot when they should.

That and the fuses are the first step in checking it out...it's going to take some detective work.
ok thank you for the help ill check all that out tomorrow