Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

weird alarm problem

Old 02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
bnuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird alarm problem

I bought a theft-recovery 98 GSR a year ago. had to replace the interior and all that. everything works great now though. well almost everything. the stock alarm has never worked and the neiborhood punks have figured that out and started breaking into it on a regular basis. :angry: i had a dealership look at it breifly when i got the badging redone; they said something was wrong with it (duh), but they would have to look at some other time (for $90/hr.)
Basically once you plug in the brain in it starts going off, the bypass switch has no effect i checked with a ohm meter and the switch and the woring are fine. if you sit long enough it will stop but as soon as you touch anything it freaks out again. so it would seem to me that one of the triggers is permenatly on. if anyone has idea how to diagnose this, where and what the triggers or knows someone who can work on it in the pittsburgh area i would be very greatful.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:11 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

please tell me you are trying this with the doors closed. Sounds stupid, and im sure they're closed, but I want to make sure... sometimes its the simplest thing.

Instead of paying Honda $90 an hour, buy an aftermarket alarm and have it installed... you'll end up paying the same or less for having an aftermarket alarm installed. Plus you'll have a shock sensor and other benefits.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:20 PM
bnuk

yeah yeah doors closed. yeah, i realize if its something acura is gonna have to do im gonna pay an assload for it, but im sure its some stupid little thing i can fix and i can get remote off ebay for like $10. but i just have no idea where to start. is this something common of theft recovery cars?
Old 02-21-2004, 05:30 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

you may want to find a wirring diagram for the alarm... see exactly what each wire is for so you can figure out if it is doing its job properly or not. It is possible something didnt get hooked back up after the theft (hood switch comes to mind, which would be part of the hook lock mechanism).
Old 02-21-2004, 10:15 PM
KuttinEdge

you probably are better off getting an aftermarket alarm installed. its probably cheaper and more efficient. also as an accessory, you may want to have a bat on the side for the next time those punks come around. :db:
Old 02-22-2004, 07:54 PM
bnuk

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
... It is possible something didnt get hooked back up after the theft (hood switch comes to mind, which would be part of the hook lock mechanism).
that is quite possible as it looked like whoever jacked the car was starting to pull off the CAI when they stopped.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:28 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I could give you a stock wiring diagram for your gsr for the factory alarm system, it's not complicated and could be as simple as a bad ground at a door switch,(which has happened to me many times). Pm me or post your email, the diagram would be in .pdf form from honda.