Sponsored by:

??Suspension Installation??

Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
NightRider79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??Suspension Installation??

You guys have been great !!
So hears another one for you guess ...
I'm looking for some pics on a step by step installation for springs and shocks...
I just got myself a new Tokico Suspension kit..
Hp blues and springs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
40.jpg (24.4 KB, 432 views)
Old 06-23-2003, 07:27 PM
jschmid

Is the new suspension already assembled? Or is the spring and shock separate right now?

Because if it's already assembled, it'll be pretty easy. you basically loosen the lugs, get the car up on stands, then remove the wheels, then basically just undo everything you need to to get the spring/shock assembly off the car, and replace it with the new setup.

If it's all unassembled, you'll probably need some of the stock parts, so you'll have to use a spring compressor to take the stock assembly apart, and the put the new assembly together, then put them in the car.

Maybe someone with a 5th gen accord can give you the specifics.

And use a torque wrench to get the right specs.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:39 PM
NightRider79

I took the package out as soon as it came...
Felt like chri all over again....
They came separate... Good lookin for the tips...
What parts do I need this way everything is new and like you said makes everything easy just jack it up and make the switch.:sad:
Old 06-23-2003, 07:50 PM
jschmid

well, I'm assuming your suspension setup is very similiar to my 6th gen.

What else came with your springs and shocks?

That will give us an idea of what you need to reuse or replace from your stock setup.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:55 PM
NightRider79

Thats about it just shocks and springs....
no boots no rubbers or nothing..
oh yeah and the box... and foam
Old 06-23-2003, 08:04 PM
jschmid

Okay, then you are going to use a lot of your stock parts. Basically everything other than the stock shocks and springs.

You probably could just use all your old stuff and be fine.

But if you want to replace some of the stuff like you mentioned, the things that could possibly be worn and you might want to replace would be the bumpstops, the dust covers, and the bushings, top pillow mounts. That's all the stuff that's rubber and can be worn or break down over time. You could get new nuts. The washers and metal sleeves for the bushings should be fine.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:19 PM
NightRider79

I can get all these parts from dealer
or
would you recommend using higher quality parts, maybe polyurethane or something?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:37 PM
jschmid

I don't really know what's available as far as poly bushings for your spring/strut assembly.

I wouldn't really think of it as higher quality than OEM, just stiffer. Considering the setup you bought, it looks like a pretty mild drop and spring rate, so I would guess you aren't looking for all out handling over ride quality, so I'd go with the OEM bushings personally.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:43 PM
NightRider79

I would much rather go with
AGX Adjustables and goldline springs 2.5 drop
plus a camber kit ....
but living in NYC is a killer...
more pot holes than corners...
thanks for the info jshmid
Old 06-23-2003, 09:47 PM
SpeCKDriFt96

I did my own install also
( KYB GR2 and cheapo freebee coilovers i got from my cousin which i think are R1)
and used my OEM Top assemblies( meaning the top cap with the three strut bolts), bumpstops, bushings, and bump stop washer. i didnt even put the dust cap back over it but i think i should.
Like jschmid said. loosen lugs and jack up the car. loosen the three strut tower bolts on each assembly under the hood and behind the rear seats. then go under the fender and loosen the bolts connected to the dampener fork and remove then from the shock. next remove the brake hose connectors fro mthe shock. the shock should now be loose enough to shimmy out with come finessssss. If u have a OEM spring, use a spring compressor to squeeze the srpring inorder to remove the bolt on top of the bushing. once that bolt is out, u can remove the top cap, bushings, bump stops, dust caps and springs. if u are using lowering springs, cut the bump stops in half and push them into the tokico shocks. do the same to the dust caps but dont install em until after the bump stop washer. next comes the spring then the top cap assemblies. tighten down the top bolt, and reinstall the whole assembly which is opposite the removal. the whole thing should take about 3-4 hours if ure doing it alone.